🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scammers posting fake job ads and sending vir...
Page options
jalle007
Community Member

Scammers posting fake job ads and sending viruses directly into my inbox - this Must STOP

it's a shame that Upwork allows virus sharing directly to my inbox. This is the third viral message in a few weeks.

I want a refund for my time spent and $5 spent on sending proposals to spam job ads.

Upwork you must ban these users , NOW!

**Edited for community guidelines**

11 REPLIES 11
JoanneP

Hi Jasmin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns. Our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety. Furthermore, we'd like to assure you that feedback we received are shared with the rest of the team; likewise, we will continue providing updates to the Community about the team's initiatives.

Please, check out this course for the tips on staying safe and protected while working on Upwork. Also, please check this article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.
~ Joanne
Upwork
048af9fe
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

I have a scam issue just now, need some advise on how to report to Upwork.

Hi Sri Muruga Ravinat,

I'm sorry to learn about this experience. Please don't hesitate to report whenever you find any suspicious or inappropriate activities. You'll see links to report suspicious or inappropriate behavior throughout the Upwork platform. These links are often marked by a flag. 

We suggest you visit this help article to learn more about how to report suspicious activity throughout that platform. Rest assured that we take every report seriously, and every report goes directly to our Trust and Safety team for investigation. We want Upwork to be your home for work, and your security here is our top priority.

~ Arjay
Upwork
jalle007
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

I understand the complexity of combating scammers, an issue all too familiar to me given the four virus messages I've received from various scammers on Upwork in the past few weeks. However, I believe that when a fraudulent user is identified, a fair course of action would be to issue a refund for the connects spent.

Don't you agree?

Jasko

I totally agree and we actually do give Connects back in this kind of case.

Once we confirm that a job post violated the Upwork TOS, it will be removed and the Connects used by freelancers in submitting proposals will be refunded back to their account. You may validate this by reviewing this help article about understanding and using Connects.

~ Arjay
Upwork
10e50db2
Community Member

I recently received a proposal from the company Translatiings, and they sent me to Telegram, and they say they don't make payments through freelancing platforms, but through PAYEER and other. They seem very trustworthy as they even have a website and email, but I'm suspicious of it being a scam.

grimesr
Community Member

How many of the Upwork rules are you willing to break? Unless I am mistaking, everything you are saying to do is a violation.

Stop communicating or doing anything with these people. It is a scam, and you should have known that. Use the link to the Academy at the top of the page and learn the Terms of Service and how to use the platform safely. All you will find is more scams until you educate yourself and develop a profile.

Because the only language you are qualified to write in is Portuguese, you will have fewer jobs to choose from. The same works against you as a "reader." There is nothing wrong with your native language, but this is an English-based platform, and there are not as many jobs.

There are numerous basic errors in your introduction that will send clients fleeing, and acts as an invitation to be scammed. You need to honestly assess your skills and determine what your marketable skills are, and if you can compete on a platform with 20 or so million freelancers, and less than 900,000 clients.

wrote:

I recently received a proposal from the company Translatiings, and they sent me to Telegram, and they say they don't make payments through freelancing platforms, but through PAYEER and other. They seem very trustworthy as they even have a website and email, but I'm suspicious of it being a scam.

If you trust everyone who has a website and email address, then you're going to get scammed over and over again. What makes you think that a scammer can't give you a fake name, or claim to work for a company that they don't really work for? It happens all the time.

Click on the "Academy" link at the top of this page, because everything that you're doing is wrong, and if you continue, not only will you lose your money, but your account will be banned for numerous terms of service violations.

ab852aba
Community Member

Hi Upwork Team,

I recently joined this platform as Freelancer for getting different jobs. What I get to understand as mentioned above, lot of Scamsters are posting Job proposals in different names - which they are not, and also pose with different names and different locations - and starts directly co-ordinating with Job seekers through Telegram - New Modus Operandi. They send some job details and use different strategies to take money from the Job seekers in terms of Fees / Txn Fees. People get trapped in their frauds - as they promise good amount of Fixed Salary amount for the Job work and they send fee to these fraudsters. So Please - its a request to block these fraudsters from posting FAKE Jobs in this Upwork Platform.

A superb idea:

Charge a fee to those who are posting the jobs.

Yeah.

Perhaps a refund, or partial refund after a hire...and payment is made to the freelancer.

One that I am sure frustrates others is so often a job post is made, scads of proposals...the last time the client looked at the page? Sometimes NEVER.

Wasted connnects. Wasted time for which we get no compensation at all.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members