🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Summer slowdown
Page options
g_urgeghe
Community Member

Summer slowdown

I guess it is normal, companies are closing for holidays, do you also find a slowdown in proposals and jobs in July August? After a year of intense work since about 3 weeks, I receive fewer proposals and the budgets are very low compared to normal. Maybe it's better if I go on vacation too 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Giacomo U wrote:

I guess it is normal, companies are closing for holidays, do you also find a slowdown in proposals and jobs in July August? 

It's really only in Europe that anything slows down to any significant extent, especially, of course, in Italy which literally collectively goes on holiday for the whole of August.

I've been busier than I have been in a year over the last month, the majority of the work coming from 2 Northern European countries and New Zealand. Today is the first day I'm (trying to) taking off since early June.

Yes in Italy most people go on holidays in July but especially August, I have no Italian customers 🙂 I made my monthly earnings record last month, it was very motivating. Then a sudden slowdown, fewer job requests invitation and many do not carry on the negotiation after inviting you. I thought it was because I increased my hourly rate (then brought back to the old rate) but I think it depends on something else.

Giacomo U wrote:

I thought it was because I increased my hourly rate (then brought back to the old rate) but I think it depends on something else.

I think it's basically just the way it goes in freelancing. Feast and Famine... Repeat.

You're right, after hectic months a bit of famine has come ... it takes advantage to develop a strategy to always be feast 😉

It's been extremely slow for me for the past month, after one of the busiest years I've ever had. After months and months of lockdown, my clients are busy visiting friends and family, going on holidays and generally making up for lost time (I am, too!). It's pretty difficult for freelancing to be a constant "feast". Why not just relax and enjoy a bit of time off during the summer months? Things will pick up again in September.

Hi Christine! happy to hear from you. I am lucky because i live in a beautiful place by the sea, very visited by tourists in spring and summertime. I just need to go outside to have the feeling of being on vacation, I generally take a trip between September/November but this year I'm not sure if possible due to pandemics. You're right! it can't always be "feast", but I'm sure it's possible to develop a strategy that can limit times of "famine". Happy summertime!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members