🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Tax on connects
Page options
967cd61c
Community Member

Tax on connects

Hello,

I have purchased connects previously and it was $1.5 per 10, now it is at $1.77, I noticed a tax is added. I have filled my tax details and it is up to date (I recently double checked). Since this is happening only now, I am sceptical if this is a new change.

Here is a another community post where a moderator says the tax is not added so I am here to clarify on this. All help is much appreciated, TYiA!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here is the announcement made on October 23rd.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Tax-Update-GST-in-India/ba-p/1449466

Also they sent an email about this with subject : GST collection for your country: what you need to know on 25th October.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
spectralua
Community Member

It is not your taxes. Upwork pay own tax to your goverment. And this tax Upwork take from your pocket but not from own. You cannot avoid this.

Thank you for your response Mykola! I am not sure how the taxes work on such transactions, apologies for my ignorance.

My problem is that, in my previous purchases, there were no taxes to any of the transactions but in my recent move to purchase connects, the tax is added out of the blue. I have put my purchase on hold for now.

(Note: My last recent purchase was yesterday (Nov 14, 2023))

Here is a screenshot that depicts a modeerator stating that taxes are not added for puchase of connects. The link is attached in OP

967cd61c_0-1700072655557.png

It is depend from country. An year ago i purchaced connects for 1.5. Then Upwork notified that i must add\update my tax info to track my taxes. Also Upwork will take taxes to own incomings (like contract fee or connects). So i pay this from that time. Should be India also added to this countries list at last times. 

Right, so you experienced the same! Thanks for sharing!

In my case, I have added the tax information from the very start, so I don't see how a tax can be introduced without any notification. I'll reach out to support to clarify further. 

Your inputs are much appreciated Mykola. TY!

Here is the announcement made on October 23rd.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Tax-Update-GST-in-India/ba-p/1449466

Also they sent an email about this with subject : GST collection for your country: what you need to know on 25th October.

Thank you Ramesh! This clarifies things. 

I am fairly new here to Upwork, so I did not get the notice since I joined post the announcement 🙂

sohailsaen
Community Member

I was wondering to know, buying connects through membership appears expensive in comparison to individual,

80connects * 0.15 = 12+tax

Membership plus: 14.99+tax

What is the difference?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members