🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What freelancing advice would you give to you...
Page options
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

What freelancing advice would you give to your past self?

Hello Upwork Community!

For those of you with over five years of freelancing wisdom, here's a fun question:

If you could hop in a time machine and drop some knowledge on your beginner freelancer self, what golden advice would you share?

Excited to hear your insights!

~ Avery
Upwork
11 REPLIES 11
hglewis
Community Member

Hi Avery,

My freelancing career started over 30 years ago. The best advice given to me back then, which still holds true today, is this:

"Never introduce yourself as the thing you do, i.e., copywriter, graphic designer, videographer, etc. Introduce yourself as the Business Owner who provides your clients copywriting, graphic design, videography, etc. services."

When a person looks through this lens, they stop thinking like an employee and begin seeing that they have a business to run and must keep pushing themselves to build a strong, robust, and profitable company.

The second piece of freelancer advice: Never rely on one source as a permanent income stream. Diversify your income streams using both online and offline platforms. When one stream slows or ends, the others still keep you profitable. And should an income stream end, immediately replace it with another resource.

I agree with your second advice. but it is very very hard to diversify while you are growing. 

Hi Zill,

That's what being in business is all about. Even with all my years, I still find myself struggling at times.

It is not an easy road to travel, but individuals like you and me view life and work differently than those who choose to work for an employer.

Keep pushing on, and always keep looking for other revenue streams. They are out there, and most of the time, they are hidden in plain sight.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jumping out of the employee mindset is hard for many folks, and that tip you shared is helpful, Woodrow!

And diversifying income streams is always a good tip, especially for those who are freelancing full-time!

~ Avery
Upwork
e_huma-s_zill
Community Member

work an extra hour, atleast.

Hey Zill, 

I missed your post! Could you elaborate more on the tip you shared? 

~ Avery
Upwork
williamtcooper
Community Member

Avery,

Always continue to learn and change to add the most value to clients.

After 27 years of freelancing that is my KEY advice.

I've heard a lot of folks say this - keep (finding time to) learn new things so you can continue growing and adding value to what you can offer businesses. 

~ Avery
Upwork

We all have to create a sense of passion to continue to be lifetime learners.

It's work, however go with your passion and love and it's much easier.

spxpert
Community Member

• go the extra mile to make your profile standout.
  • do not copy paste same proposal letter.
  • work daily to improve your skills to be relevant
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice tips, Sudhir!

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members