๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป The Failure of Upwork
Page options
parsont
Community Member

The Failure of Upwork

Once again I write here on the request of Upwork and once again  I not believe that it will make any change. I wrote the following e-mail to Upwork Zendesk and they tell me that they could not do anything if it was not enough people who complained. What a company! To be true I do not think its much of a chance by writing here either, you guys have not shown that you have the balls to put demands on Upwork. But ok here we go.  Upwork.png

Look at the last part and try to read and pretend to understand exactly what it says. Ok, it is maybe too hard, so I help you. But first, the hourly rate of 45 USD is something that Upwork has put there. I have never fill in any time rate because I do not work within time rates. And then we go to the rest. It says that I have earned 7000 + USD by doing 36 jobs within 1 hour. That makes the average time per work less than 2 minutes, and it is also a big difference between โ€œmyโ€ time rate 45 USD and what you say that I have earned during my 1-hour work, 7000+ USD. Even a nine-year-old the child would understand that there must be several things that are wrong.

How can you believe that Upwork should be seen as a serious player when you not even could present such simple information in the right way?

Also, you give the people that want to hire a freelancer the opportunity to request, โ€œat least 100 hours of work on Upworkโ€. If I answer on such a request my answer also will say, โ€œThis person does not fulfill your request of 100 hours work on Upwork. You do not see the problem? Well using the same logic, you could also have said, โ€œThis guy has an average project time less than 2 minutesโ€. Two totally different answers, but according to Upworks information both are right, while the truth is that both are wrong. Do it again and do it right. /Per  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Zendesk:s answer to this.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

 

And my answer to that.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

 

46 REPLIES 46

Noureldin is correct (he's new here and figured this out, whereas you've been here since 2016?). Also, you're free to change your hourly rate if it's not accurate; you're also free to bid on jobs even if the client states a preference for a certain number of hours.

 

Sorry if the rest of us don't support "demands" that result from other freelancers not understanding how this website works.

 

 

Hi Smarty. How foolish of me to not think of that! Maybe you Smarty could
tell me more how it should be pretended and who anyone, especially a new
client should know how to not pretend exaxtly what it says. Or you maybe
could tell me where Upwork has put an explanation of how to pretend their
totally misleading information. And by the way, you maybe also could be
kind to tell me why my complaint about Upwork directly, within minutes, of
some reason is moved to somewhere, wherever I do not know, while they're
still are questions from yesterday on the front page, or while, when i
seaarch for my name, I only get one post from 2017, while I send one about
a month ago and one today. **Edited for Community Guidelines**


Per S wrote:
Hi Smarty. How foolish of me to not think of that! Maybe you Smarty could
tell me more how it should be pretended and who anyone, especially a new
client should know how to not pretend exaxtly what it says. Or you maybe
could tell me where Upwork has put an explanation of how to pretend their
totally misleading information. And by the way, you maybe also could be
kind to tell me why my complaint about Upwork directly, within minutes, of
some reason is moved to somewhere, wherever I do not know, while they're
still are questions from yesterday on the front page, or while, when i
seaarch for my name, I only get one post from 2017, while I send one about
a month ago and one today. It is just like I said, baby. You do not **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Sure, no problem - once again, I had no trouble finding the answer to your "problem": https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Upwork-cencure/m-p/645670#M390670

 

You really don't seem to know very much about a website that you've supposedly been using for over three years. Why is that? Are you actually new here as well?

 

 

florydev
Community Member


Per S wrote:

Hi Smarty. How foolish of me to not think of that! Maybe you Smarty could
tell me more how it should be pretended and who anyone, especially a new
client should know how to not pretend exaxtly what it says. Or you maybe
could tell me where Upwork has put an explanation of how to pretend their
totally misleading information. And by the way, you maybe also could be
kind to tell me why my complaint about Upwork directly, within minutes, of
some reason is moved to somewhere, wherever I do not know, while they're
still are questions from yesterday on the front page, or while, when i
seaarch for my name, I only get one post from 2017, while I send one about
a month ago and one today. It is just like I said, baby. You do not**Edited for Community Guidelines**


I have never understood why smarty is an insult to some people.  I can only think that is because they are the opposite.

 

The rest of the stuff you said is just creepy.

petra_r
Community Member


Per S wrote:

 And by the way, you maybe also could be
kind to tell me why my complaint about Upwork directly, within minutes, of
some reason is moved to somewhere,


All your previous rants are preserved for eternity - Just click here

 

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Per,

 

I understand your dissatisfaction with how the work completed on Hourly and Fixed-Price contracts is reflected on Freelancer profile, and also with how the search filters are set up.

 

Following up on the information Noureldin shared and in addition to the information I and other Community members shared in this thread, I'd like to add that Upwork doesn't populate information on Freelancer profiles and couldn't have added the Hourly rate on your profile. In case you haven't added this information, is it possible that during your previous association with agencies this information was added by an agency admin? In any case, feel free to follow up on your profile > hover your mouse over the hourly rate > select the pencil icon and update the rate to your preference.

 

We have shared your feedback with our Product team, thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi, and thanks for your answer, even if what you point is not the main
problem, and I have definitely not put in the 45 dollar time rate, and I do
not really understand how anyone other could have done it if it is not
Upwork. Who else has direct access to my profile? What you say, scares me a
lot. It is true about what you say that I can change that 45 USD, but I can
not change it in my profile, I have to change it on every work that I apply
for.

Sorry to say, but you have missed the whole point.   That is first of all,   that Upwork gives misleading information. Secondly, if not Upwork goes in and put in  45 dollars as a time rate and   I have not done it, then who has done it and how can the system accept that someone, whoever goes in and change in my profile?

petra_r
Community Member


Per S wrote:

...if not Upwork goes in and put in  45 dollars as a time rate and   I have not done it.


You did

You entered your hourly rate back in September 2013 when you first created your profile. You have likely forgotten since.

 

 

parsont
Community Member

Sorry lady, but I did not. Why should I, when  I never have had the idea to take any job for time-payment. And you miss the point, that is why do Upwork misleading people by giving the wrong information? And I would also be happy to know why you, obviously an employee of  Upwork could answer here and not when I write to Upwork. **Edited for community guidelines**

There is a very good say.   "Check that your brain is on before you hit the keyboard". 

florydev
Community Member


Per S wrote:

Sorry lady, but I did not. Why should I, when  I never have had the idea to take any job for time-payment. And you miss the point, that is why do Upwork misleading people by giving the wrong information? And I would also be happy to know why you, obviously an employee of  Upwork could answer here and not when I write to Upwork. **Edited for Community Guidelines**


You seem to be obsessed with male anatomy.


Per S wrote:

Sorry lady, but I did not. Why should I, when  I never have had the idea to take any job for time-payment. And you miss the point, that is why do Upwork misleading people by giving the wrong information? And I would also be happy to know why you, obviously an employee of  Upwork could answer here and not when I write to Upwork. And to all of you that have no balls and give the same answer about the 45 USD.  There is a very good say.   "Check that your brain is on before you hit the keyboard". 

 

Per, the only Upwork employee who has responded in this thread is Vladimir (who is a forum moderator and not a customer service agent, and so would not have seen any request or message you might have sent to Upwork). 

 

You can easily tell who works for Upwork by the giant green signature block that says so.

 

Petra is simply a very successful long-time freelancer who generously shares her acquired knowledge with strangers in this forum.


ETA: The obvious and often repeated answer to "Why should I?" is that you would have been unable to continue creating your profile without it. When you tried to save, you would repeatedly have received a message that a mandatory field was missing. 

So could you please tell me how she could write an exact date, even if it is totally wrong about when I have written anything on   Upwork. Either she is employed or she is a layer, and in the latter case, why you, if you are a serious company not just block here?

parsont
Community Member

Sorry, should have been lier. 


Per S wrote:

So could you please tell me how she could write an exact date, even if it is totally wrong about when I have written anything on   Upwork. Either she is employed or she is a layer, and in the latter case, why you, if you are a serious company not just block here?


We can click on your profile link and look at your work history to see how long you've been here - it's not a magic trick. Do you understand anything at all about how this website works? 

 

And I wouldn't expect Petra to be blocked any time soon, if I were you; Upwork would need to hire about 50 customer service people to replace her.

 

petra_r
Community Member


Per S wrote:

So could you please tell me how she could write an exact date, even if it is totally wrong about when I have written anything on   Upwork. Either she is employed or she is a layer, and in the latter case, why you, if you are a serious company not just block here?


lol

 

florydev
Community Member


Per S wrote:

So could you please tell me how she could write an exact date, even if it is totally wrong about when I have written anything on   Upwork. Either she is employed or she is a layer, and in the latter case, why you, if you are a serious company not just block here?


Per,

 

I have finally been persuaded by the excellent points you have made and will push your complaints up to the highest levels I can.

 

Because it is important to me that you see Upwork as a serious company I will move to make sure that Petra is properly recognized for her behaviors.

 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.


Mark F wrote:

Per S wrote:

So could you please tell me how she could write an exact date, even if it is totally wrong about when I have written anything on   Upwork. Either she is employed or she is a layer, and in the latter case, why you, if you are a serious company not just block here?


Per,

 

I have finally been persuaded by the excellent points you have made and will push your complaints up to the highest levels I can.

 

Because it is important to me that you see Upwork as a serious company I will move to make sure that Petra is properly recognized for her behaviors.

 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.


I expect nothing less from a community guru and featured contributor! Just glad to see that my fees that pay your massive salary are not going to waste. 


Martina P wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Per S wrote:

So could you please tell me how she could write an exact date, even if it is totally wrong about when I have written anything on   Upwork. Either she is employed or she is a layer, and in the latter case, why you, if you are a serious company not just block here?


Per,

 

I have finally been persuaded by the excellent points you have made and will push your complaints up to the highest levels I can.

 

Because it is important to me that you see Upwork as a serious company I will move to make sure that Petra is properly recognized for her behaviors.

 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.


I expect nothing less from a community guru and featured contributor! Just glad to see that my fees that pay your massive salary are not going to waste. 




Martina P wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Per S wrote:

So could you please tell me how she could write an exact date, even if it is totally wrong about when I have written anything on   Upwork. Either she is employed or she is a layer, and in the latter case, why you, if you are a serious company not just block here?


Per,

 

I have finally been persuaded by the excellent points you have made and will push your complaints up to the highest levels I can.

 

Because it is important to me that you see Upwork as a serious company I will move to make sure that Petra is properly recognized for her behaviors.

 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.


I expect nothing less from a community guru and featured contributor! Just glad to see that my fees that pay your massive salary are not going to waste. 


Because of your sincere patronage I absolve you from all future connect fees, so let it be ordered, so let it be done.

 


Mark F wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Per S wrote:

So could you please tell me how she could write an exact date, even if it is totally wrong about when I have written anything on   Upwork. Either she is employed or she is a layer, and in the latter case, why you, if you are a serious company not just block here?


Per,

 

I have finally been persuaded by the excellent points you have made and will push your complaints up to the highest levels I can.

 

Because it is important to me that you see Upwork as a serious company I will move to make sure that Petra is properly recognized for her behaviors.

 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.


I expect nothing less from a community guru and featured contributor! Just glad to see that my fees that pay your massive salary are not going to waste. 




Martina P wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Per S wrote:

So could you please tell me how she could write an exact date, even if it is totally wrong about when I have written anything on   Upwork. Either she is employed or she is a layer, and in the latter case, why you, if you are a serious company not just block here?


Per,

 

I have finally been persuaded by the excellent points you have made and will push your complaints up to the highest levels I can.

 

Because it is important to me that you see Upwork as a serious company I will move to make sure that Petra is properly recognized for her behaviors.

 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.


I expect nothing less from a community guru and featured contributor! Just glad to see that my fees that pay your massive salary are not going to waste. 


Because of your sincere patronage I absolve you from all future connect fees, so let it be ordered, so let it be done.

 


My sincere thanks! I'm glad to see that you can handle your power well!


Mark F wrote:


Because of your sincere patronage I absolve you from all future connect fees, so let it be ordered, so let it be done.

 


Thanks for always giving me free connects, too, Mark - much appreciated. 


Christine A wrote:

Mark F wrote:


Because of your sincere patronage I absolve you from all future connect fees, so let it be ordered, so let it be done.

 


Thanks for always giving me free connects, too, Mark - much appreciated. 


You are going to make the other kids jelly.


Because of your sincere patronage I absolve you from all future connect fees, so let it be ordered, so let it be done.

 


erm, can i have some free connects to please. Because, erm, well, ya'know its not fair that i have to buy 'em!


Per S wrote:

Sorry lady, but I did not. Why should I, when  I never have had the idea to take any job for time-payment. And you miss the point, that is why do Upwork misleading people by giving the wrong information? And I would also be happy to know why you, obviously an employee of  Upwork could answer here and not when I write to Upwork.**Edited for community guidelines** There is a very good say.   "Check that your brain is on before you hit the keyboard". 


Per,

 

We are not employees of Upwork.  We are freelancers like you.  And some of us have been on the platform for years, like you.  No need for negativity from anyone.  You posted a question, the community answered.  If they answered with skepticism, it's because your question and your extensive Upwork experience leads us to believe you should know the answers to your questions.  

 

If you aren't satisfied with these answers, contact Upwork directly.  

And what exactly you mean by that? If you read the first lines of my message it says that I have contacted Upwork about what I think is wrong and that they tell that they could not do anything if the forum not react. So tell me, where is the missing part of your mind?


Per S wrote:

And what exactly you mean by that? If you read the first lines of my message it says that I have contacted Upwork about what I think is wrong and that they tell that they could not do anything if the forum not react. So tell me, where is the missing part of your mind?


Well, the forum has reacted, hows that going?

Well if I should answer that from your reply, totally wrong. You are creeping for  Upwork.




Per S wrote:

Well if I should answer that from your reply, totally wrong. You are creeping for  Upwork.



NO - I just dont share your views, and it looks like im not the only one. I have no idea what you mean by 'creeping for upwork' but I can assure you that i have a few issues with Upwork that i'm not thrilled about, however i dont feel i need to brandish those that disagree with me!

Well, that shows exactly what I say from the beginning,
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member


Per S wrote:

Well, that shows exactly what I say from the beginning, you have all show that you have no bleeps, you are just bleeping for Upwork.


So the possibility that nobody agrees with your points and thinks they and the way you present them are just petty and ignorant had not occured to you?

 

No?

 

I thought not.

 

Not very good as all here crepe for  Upwork and are too scared to tell about what they really think. is of importance


Per S wrote:

And what exactly you mean by that? If you read the first lines of my message it says that I have contacted Upwork about what I think is wrong and that they tell that they could not do anything if the forum not react. So tell me, where is the missing part of your mind?


I think it's safe to say that the forum reacted, agree or disagree?

You have missed a little point.  I did make my complaint to Upwork  as the first opinion, but they said, that they could do nothing if not a  lot of people claim the same thing,  you also missed a lot of other things but, as I said from the beginning,**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member


Per S wrote:

You have missed a little point.  I did make my complaint to Upwork  as the first opinion, but they said, that they could do nothing if not a  lot of people claim the same thing, 


Judging from your posts here (this and previous threads), they would probably say absolutely anything to be able to not have to deal with you anymore. Nobody is paid enough to be spoken to the way you speak to people.

 


Per S wrote:

You have missed a little point.  I did make my complaint to Upwork  as the first opinion, but they said, that they could do nothing if not a  lot of people claim the same thing,  you also missed a lot of other things but, as I said from the beginning, there is few people here that have balls.


 

and you have missed a little point to! Nobody else is claiming the same thing!

 

Which equates to thousands of freelancers that are all wrong because they dont agree with you 

 

or........

 

you got it wrong.


Per S wrote:

Sorry lady, but I did not. Why should I, when  I never have had the idea to take any job for time-payment. And you miss the point, that is why do Upwork misleading people by giving the wrong information? And I would also be happy to know why you, obviously an employee of  Upwork could answer here and not when I write to Upwork. **Edited for community guidelines**  There is a very good say.   "Check that your brain is on before you hit the keyboard". 


Okay, you caught us - you're absolutely right. All of us managed to set our own hourly rate, but Upwork deliberately tampered with your profile and put in $45/hour, just to annoy you. It's very clever of you to have figured it out.


Christine A wrote:

Per S wrote:

Sorry lady, but I did not. Why should I, when  I never have had the idea to take any job for time-payment. And you miss the point, that is why do Upwork misleading people by giving the wrong information? And I would also be happy to know why you, obviously an employee of  Upwork could answer here and not when I write to Upwork. **Edited for community guidelines**  There is a very good say.   "Check that your brain is on before you hit the keyboard". 


Okay, you caught us - you're absolutely right. All of us managed to set our own hourly rate, but Upwork deliberately tampered with your profile and put in $45/hour, just to annoy you. It's very clever of you to have figured it out.


Oh man the threads where somebody is almost criminally misinformed about upwork procedures, but screaming on top of his lungs how somebody changed his hourly rate nonetheless are just the mostest fun I am having today. Does that make me a bad person? I don't think so.

Aside from that, I expect to be treated with all the respect a community guru commands in this forum. 

petra_r
Community Member


Per S wrote:

Sorry lady, but I did not. Why should I, when  I never have had the idea to take any job for time-payment.


As you clearly struggle with digesting information, let me try to explain it to you in very simple little steps:

 

You could not have created your profile without setting an hourly rate. It simply isn't possible.

 

The fact that you have a profile means you set an hourly rate.

 

You did an hourly job at a rate of $ 12 an hour in 2018

 


Per S wrote:

 And I would also be happy to know why you, obviously an employee of  Upwork could answer here


Because I am not an Upwork employee.

 

 

 

 

petra_r
Community Member


Per S wrote:
 I have definitely not put in the 45 dollar time rate,

You could not have created your profile at all without doing so - so yes, you did.

 


Per S wrote:
. It is true about what you say that I can change that 45 USD, but I can
not change it in my profile, I have to change it on every work that I apply
for.

Of course you can change it on your profile. Hover your mouse next to your rate on Find Work > Profile, click on the edit icon and change it.

 

edit rate.jpg

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths