🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Thinking about the leaving the platform, need...
Page options
j_rains
Community Member

Thinking about the leaving the platform, need opinions

I've been on UpWork since FEB 2019' I've made $15k since starting, and have had a relvatively good experience. But as of the last 2-3 months, I've seen a COMPLETE drop off in clients, it's either people looking for free advice, which i've been trapped into before or they're expecting instant results and have 0 idea on how to run a brand, and in those cases I just tell them I'm not interested.

My profile is great, i have a 96% JSS and my reviews are all awesome! I can't afford to drop my prices anymore, for the amount of work I typically do I should truly be charging double.

Is anyone else having this issue or have any ideas on how I can possibly get back to where I was in months prior? 

I don't want to leave, but at this point I'm just spending money on connects and not getting anything in return, and yes my proposals are solid, I address the issue, ask questions, and keep it at a size to where it's easy to read.

Thanks for any advice!

6 REPLIES 6
a_lipsey
Community Member

Maybe the rate is the problem but not the direction you think? Maybe you should be raising your rate and going after bigger clients?

grimesr
Community Member

No real words of wisdom, but

1. What is the downside to staying? Sure, it costs a few $ for a bunch of connects. You feel your self-worth isn't being rewarded. Won't one win pay all that back?

2. Are you needing more $ coming in or do you have a side job that Upwork is just supplemental?

3. Do you want to stay in the freelance world or do you need to enter the full time employment market?

4. Where else are  you showing your skills? Other platforms?

You have do to what helps you wake up in the morning and look at yourself in the mirror and say, "I am ready and will enjoy the day". If you can't do that, then you probably need to be somewhere else - maybe in a parallel universe???

Good Luck with whatever you choose, remember it is only you that can make the decision.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

IME things ebb and flow here. I sometimes go several months with no real viable opportunities and/or the few that I pursue, I don't manage to land. Then things will turn around for a while. 

Given the time and energy I invested in establishing my track record here, I consider a few dollars for connects and the time that goes into spending them, a decent investment compared with what I'd have to spend (time and money) marketing elsewhere to have a chance of reaching even slightly qualified leads. So it's worth it to me, to stay. YMMV

lysis10
Community Member

Ebb and flow. I guess that's something freelancers have to find out the hard way.

I have so much work right now idk what to do with myself and have had to prioritize people who have put money on the table. About 4 weeks ago, I was taking filler jobs because I was so bored.

tlsanders
Community Member

I think others have well covered the key points, but I want to second the suggestion that you're not charging enough. I work in marketing and I would probably bypass your profile because your rate says "beginner". You'd probably be taken much more seriously at $40ish.

tlbp
Community Member

Agreeing with the others. A low rate for high-value skills implies that you are inexperienced or falsely representing what you can do. If you can deliver skilled work, charge a fee that represents the real value of that work. 

Yes. You may be able to get some clients by charging a lower fee, but they will expect you to deliver the moon for the price of a piece of cheese. Then, they will complain that they expected you to deliver one of Jupiter's moon, not Earth's. 🙄

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members