🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » This offer seems too easy
Page options
liteflyvang
Community Member

This offer seems too easy

The job listing was asking for a General Virtual Assistant as well as asking for someone who had the lowest rates. After I applied the interview process only boiled down to them asking how many hours I could work and I told them 30 hours. However they said they only need 14 hours of my time for the job, 2 hours each day monday to sunday.

All they needed from me was to place up listing for properties they owned to potential buyers. However the pay was $600 biweekly, which just seemed odd to me because they were asking for someone who was offering a low rate to work the job which I said I would do for about $10 per hour.

I'm still relatively new to the platform so I'm unaware of what are legitamite jobs and this one set off too many red flags for me to be comfortable accepting it.

15 REPLIES 15
7f9b79df
Community Member

I suspect they meant "Bi Monthly". Anyhow, a legit client will ALWAY agree to a contract on Upwork. And pay through upwork.

A scam client will want you to do work outside of Upwork, and then pay through some nefarious scheme that may seem legit at first.

If they mention "Telegram"... RUN AWAY!!! Don't look back.

The best you can do is to work with the client, always messaging through the Upwork messaging system, and agree to a contract through Upwork.

There are a number of articles on the Upwork support site for how to spot a scam. And hundreds, if not thousands, of posts here in the forum about spotting scams. Spend some time doing a bit a research and it'll save future you a ton of time and headaches.

ericaandrews
Community Member

How long have they been on Upwork?  Do you see a history of them having hired other freelancers?  If they are a 'new' client on the platform for only a few days or a couple weeks, I'd recommend avoiding them if you are concerned.  Most of the scam artists use recently created accounts.  Your safest bet is to only work with clients that have an established history on Upwork, where you can go to their 'hiring history' at the bottom of the job post and see that they have hired (and PAID: That is important) other freelancers  before you.  Me personally, I like to see at least a few contracts that 'closed out' with that client at least a month in the past (with money paid out), because those clients are less likely to run the 'charge back' scam. (Go search that in the forums). It's a scam where clients hire people, pretend to pay them, and then when the contract is closed, they go to their bank and 'reverse' all of the payments to the freelancer and steal the money back, basically getting free work.   I also won't even give the time of day to a client that has been on the platform less than 90 days, because most scam artists' profiles are only active for a few days / weeks before they get caught and kicked off UW, then they create a new profile under a fake name and rip somebody else off. (repeat process over and over)

I know many people have landed 'good' gigs with new clients, but easily 99% of the scam artists are 'new' client profiles on the platform, so if you are new to UW, you are taking a huge risk even talking to a 'brand new' client.  Many of the scam artists deliberately look for new freelancers to target. My advice, until you understand how the 'game' works on this platform, your best bet is to steer clear of 'new' clients that have little to no Upwork history and focus on only talking to established clients with a visible, positive track record in their profiles.  Yes, you can possiby miss out on profits avoiding  new clients, but you can also LOSE lots of money/hours worked trusting the wrong 'new' clients.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

This is a scam which works like this: you post properties (that they don't own), you forward contact information of interested parties, they scam them out of some pretend fee, and your address is connected to the scam once polices comes knocking. 

Wow - I hadn't heard of that particular scam.  Yes, that sounds like a big mess.

lysis10
Community Member

I got invited to this with the job title of "Housekeeper." I knew it was a scam and all you can do is report it, but Upwork is slow to react. He has another job open labeled "Social Media Advertising" posted 9 days ago that's still up, so you can't rely on Upwork to take these things down. You have to just know what to look for.

7f9b79df
Community Member

Ironically, Upwork will take down forum posts within hours, if not minutes, when someone violates a TOS or posts prohibited information.

The more jobs Upwork can say they have, the better it looks for investors.

Truly sad state of affairs when these forums are substantially better moderated than the actual job listings. Upwork's actions speak louder than any moderator's post on the forums.

Thats not always true.  I have flagged the same job twice over the past 12 hours because the posting itself violates the terms of service.

Hi, Kindler.

Where have you seen Upwork report how many jobs have been or are being posted by clients? That would be an interesting number for investors and freelancers.

Jennifer M wrote:

I got invited to this with the job title of "Housekeeper." 

LOL - it makes a certain amount of sense for somebody to think that a person who handles rental properties is called a "housekeeper". English is a funny language.

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I got invited to this with the job title of "Housekeeper." 

LOL - it makes a certain amount of sense for somebody to think that a person who handles rental properties is called a "housekeeper". English is a funny language.

The laughable part is that he's still active. I flagged the job itself, then flagged the comment where I need to list rental properties, and then flagged the part where he asks for my info and will pay me off-platform. Still active. lol

I don't even flag anymore, after noticing that some ads I flagged were still up.  

Bettye U wrote:

I don't even flag anymore, after noticing that some ads I flagged were still up.  

Probably the best route. I only report if they invite me and they used to be quick about it, but not anymore. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Litefly V wrote:

All they needed from me was to place up listing for properties they owned to potential buyers. However the pay was $600 biweekly, which just seemed odd to me because they were asking for someone who was offering a low rate to work the job which I said I would do for about $10 per hour.

They probably targetted freelancers with low rates because they're more likely to be inexperienced and/or desperate for work, and therefore more likely to agree to do something shady. As you already figured out, any job that seems too easy for the rate of pay being offered is a scam. Read this post for more information about what to avoid: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

"place up listing for properties they owned to potential buyers" = SCAM.

As pointed out elsewhere, this is a scam that puts you on the hook for real estate/housing scams.  Flag it.

If it seems to good to be true or something doesn't seem to make sense, dig into it and ask WHY.  

liteflyvang
Community Member

Thank you all for the replies, I did decine the offer and flagged them just in case. I'm going over all the materials provided and am starting to get a clearer picture of what I can look out for.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members