🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Time Tracker for Hourly Work
Page options
dkwillfindit
Community Member

Time Tracker for Hourly Work

Hi,

If someone receives a job that requires them to conduct research in a brick and mortar library, for example, what is the best way to show proof of work for the time tracker?

I know that hours can be submitted manually, but since the time tracker offers payment protection, I'm trying to see what would be the best way to go about tracking work on an hourly project when that work is not something that would be captured by the randomly generated screenshots of the time tracker.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Devian H.,

Take your laptop to the library and turn it on to take notes while you're doing your research. Only by your use of your mouse and keyboard will TimeTracker know you are working and record your work time correctly.

Avoid using manual hours if at all possible - they are under no circumstances covered with Upwork's excellent hourly projects payment protection.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
designtiff
Community Member

Hi Devian,

You have toggle the button of the contract on/off. I had a hard time figuring it out my first time as well. Here's a link to the steps - https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211064098-Log-Time-with-the-Desktop-App

Hope this helps!

prestonhunter
Community Member

Devian: if you are not actively working on the computer, you can't use the desktop time-tracker application.

It is not a time clock.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Devian H.,

Take your laptop to the library and turn it on to take notes while you're doing your research. Only by your use of your mouse and keyboard will TimeTracker know you are working and record your work time correctly.

Avoid using manual hours if at all possible - they are under no circumstances covered with Upwork's excellent hourly projects payment protection.

Thanks.  Will do.

sjbercot
Community Member

Hi Devian, another idea might be to have your client set up a separate fixed rate contract with milestones for research for your time to travel, time doing things not on the computer at the library, etc. That way you could make use of the escrow protection. 

Okay.

But if I earn more money working hourly... the protection associated with fixed-price/escrow may not seem as appealing. I regard hourly as much more protected.

Thanks Sarah.  That's another good option.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members