cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top six Tips to bid on UpWork

Zubair A Member Since: Jun 11, 2015
1 of 39

I’ve been freelancing since 5 years and upon my experience I would like to suggest. Bidding plays the big part. Note these bullets while bidding:

These are some important points while bidding:
– Make sure you send proposal with your bid.
– Your proposal must contains this line: “Your Invitation over a private chat would be highly appreciated.”
– Your bid amount should neither be higher nor be lower; make it moderate an average sized bid.
– Always communicate in professional language and don’t use short forms of the spellings like Your to “ur”.
– Try be first while bidding on the projects because it give an impressive feel to the employers.
– Make sure you use correct spellings and grammars while communicate.

• Tip 1: The Early Bird Gets The Worm
  • Tip 2: Maintain Your Profile
  • Tip 3: Have Good Samples
  • Tip 4: Don’t Copy and Paste your Proposals
  • Tip 5: Make Your Proposal a Sponsored Proposal
  • Tip 6: Follow Up

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
2 of 39

'Make sure you use correct spellings and grammars while communicate.'

Doh! Cat Embarassed

Plus:

Your proposal must contains this line:“Your Invitation over a private chat would be highly appreciated.”

Yes, if you want them to think you're a potential stalker! Cat Mad

jasbir s Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
3 of 39

Hi Can any you let me where i will place this line Your Invitation over a private chat would be highly appreciated.

in starting or at bottom of proposal.

Jasbir Singh
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 39

@jasbir s wrote:

Hi Can any you let me where i will place this line Your Invitation over a private chat would be highly appreciated.

in starting or at bottom of proposal.

Don't say that. I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. If you've already bid, you don't need the client to invite you...he/she may INTERVIEW you by private chat, but you don't need to solicit that. It's the natural response if they're interested in working with you.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
5 of 39

Upwork has several great Proposal Tips posts and videos, and if you want to create a profile that works on UPWORK, you should check these out.

Proposals that Sell - Video Guide

Submitting A Winning Proposal - + Video + Profile Sample

How to Create a Proposal That Wins Jobs Do's and Don'ts about Creating Great Profiles

Onel Enrique F Member Since: Jul 7, 2008
6 of 39

" Don't say that. I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. If you've already bid, you don't need the client to invite you..."

I disagree.  Like any good ad, you need a call to action. Let the buyer know what the next step is. telling the client to contact you to discuss details about the project makes total sense. 

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
7 of 39

I personally don't believe quicker bidders have a higher chance. I don't know what the client's interface looks like so it may or may not be beneficial. I'd like to think clients look through every applicant regardless of when they applied. That said, I think a client would post a job and check back within a certain time frame. 

As for the bids, I agree bids shouldn't be too high/low, but some rates are very high in comparison to their competition. I wouldn't suggest lowering your bid to compete. If that's your rate, then stick to it. 

“Your Invitation over a private chat would be highly appreciated." sounds a little cheesy. Similar to "Dear Hiring Manager". Although we should all act professional, there are more creative ways to ask for such a thing. 

Edit: I clicked the "More Tips" link and was taken onto a website that supplies not only information but cheat sheets for the tests...I'd suggest removing the link Smiley Wink

Muhammad Iftikhar K Member Since: May 24, 2016
8 of 39

Hi Lyam,

I agree with your statement below:

I personally don't believe quicker bidders have a higher chance. I don't know what the client's interface looks like so it may or may not be beneficial. I'd like to think clients look through every applicant regardless of when they applied. That said, I think a client would post a job and check back within a certain time frame. 

However, what if there are 50 or proposals and the potential or competitive bid is the 51th? As a human, there are chances that that will be ignored or missed. There was a function in Elance where freelancer had the option to place the bid on top by spending more connects. But Upwork has removed that function. Do you know if there is a way to place the bid on top?

Regards,

Ifti

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 39

Hi Muhammad Iftikhar, 

Unfortunately that feature is not currently available on Upwork . 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
10 of 39

Just surprised that in 5 year you have done 22 jobs not 220 where you have got this expereince?Best of luck having 100% JS.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS