🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Pan Card Verified, But still 5% WHT getti...
Page options
Gopi P Community Member

Unable to verify your Tax ID number on Upwork

Please check my Legal Taxpayer Name. Now I verified the legal name and PAN number. Please check and approve.

gopip18_1-1646185972652.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Avery O Community Manager

Hi Abdul, 

The TAX ID (PAN) status is under "Pending Verification" until we have a manual verification for PAN. Once you enter a PAN number, you will automatically get a reduced withholding tax of 1% regardless of the PAN "Pending Verification" status. There is no further action needed on your end. 

~ Avery

View solution in original post

369 REPLIES 369
Vipin R Community Member

I have already submitted and verified my PAN and the step shows complete. It was done last year and I got verification, but still this notification always shows on top of my profile:  "In compliance with Tax Law in India, Upwork withholds 1% Tax at Deduction Source (TDS) from your payments. The TDS can be as much as 5% if you haven't provided your govt. issued tax id yet. Please click here to add your PAN asap. For more details, read our FAQs." I have tried in customer service chat, but couldn't get a resolution. Someone please help.

Untitled.jpg

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Vipin,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Aakash K Community Member

I have my PAN card added to my Upwork account and have completed all of my tax information and tax forms. But instead of a 1% Withholding Tax deduction, a 5% WHT was deducted from my payment.

According to this upwork article https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044709894-Indian-Tax-Deducted-at-Source-TDS-or-Withh...

I'm new to this website. can someone please help?

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Aakash,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Titiksha S Community Member

I have provided govt. issued tax id and PAN, but the upwork site it still tells "In compliance with Tax Law in India, Upwork withholds 1% Tax at Deduction Source (TDS) from your payments. The TDS can be as much as 5% if you haven't provided your govt. issued tax id yet. Please click here to add your PAN asap. For more details, read our FAQs."

I have made sure all details are correct, it also tells the process it completed. 

image_2024-05-29_114705486.pngimage_2024-05-29_114802553.png

It has been week I am facing this. 

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Titiksha,

Thank you for your message. I checked and can confirm that you have already added your PAN number under the tax identification number section, but you have not added a signature and clicked the check box under the Signature section. You will need to add enter your full name as your Signature and click the check box below that as seen here. Also, enter your signature under 'Affidavit of unchanged status' section.

- Pradeep

Supriyo S Community Member

It's been 8months on upwork and with my pancard verified since day one but still I get charged 5% WHT on every earning. 

Please shine light on this, Thank you.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Pema L Community Member

we all pay too, idk about other nations but they charge Indian for 5% WHT

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Sarkar,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Anish G Community Member

Hello Upwork Staff,

This is the same situation with my account as well, Even I am charged with 5% WHT.

Could you please reolve the issue as early as possible.

Thanks and Regards,

Anish Gunda.

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Anish,

~ Luiggi
Rizwaan S Community Member

Hey Pradeep,

I'm also facing the same issue. I have already submitted my tax information and everything seems to be successfully validated. But I'm still being charged 5% WHT instead of 1%. Hope for a it to be fixed soon

Thanks,

Rizwaan

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Rizwaan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep  

Jalpa C Community Member

Hi Team,

I hope you are all doing well.

I updated my PAN card on May 25, 2023, and all the details have been updated accordingly. However, I noticed that my tax is being deducted at 5% instead of the correct rate of 1%.

Can someone please explain what might be causing this issue?

Please see the attached snapshot for reference.

Thank you for your assistance.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Ashraf K Community Member

Make sure your PAN is linked to AADHAR, if it is not linked PAN becomes inactive, and Upwork will withhold 5%, faced a similar problem and after linking I had to raise a ticket to get it back to 1%...

If you have already linked PAN to AADHAR raise a ticket, if not get it linked first! 

Jalpa C Community Member

Hi Team,

Awaiting your reply

Thanks.

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Jalpa,

- Pradeep 

Anmol V Community Member

Hi,

I have a doubt. I am running an agency on Upwork and my freelancer account as well.

So on both accounts withdrawal method is different one is for agency bank details to withdraw and second is to withdraw into my own personal account.

My question is: Can I change/use my agency BANK account details and PAN details to my freelance account to withdraw amount at same place?

Thanks!

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Anmol,

You can add your agency bank details to your freelancer account only if you are the owner or one of the partners for your agency. You will also need to add the agency PAN to your freelancer account to ensure you adhere to your country's tax law. 

- Pradeep

Anmol V Community Member

Thanks

Aishwarya V Community Member

Upwork is saying my tax information is wrong but it isn't.

I know my information is correct fully. I can prove it.

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Aishwarya,

I checked and it appears that your name on the PAN card does not match the registered name on Upwork. You will need to ensure your Upwork account name matches your PAN card to resolve this issue.

- Pradeep

Hi, Pradeep. I have never had an issue with this filing for taxes. The way my name is on my account is the way it is on my bank account, Passport, and Aadhaar. The way my name is in my tax info is as it appears on my PAN. This has never been an issue. It's obviously the same name and person just one name has the surname in front and it's an initial.

Hi Pradeep, I figured out the problem. The PAN card needed to be linked with my Aadhaar card. I have now done so. Can an administrator again manually review my tax information to confirm it, please? Thanks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members