🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unauthorized refund
Page options
cecilia_marquez
Community Member

Unauthorized refund

Hi, I recently finished a contract with a client on upwork. Things went ok, client got what they asked and finished my contract. Today, a week after the contract was closed I receive an email stating “I refunded” the client money. I haven’t authorized such thing, all hours were under the terms of the contract and logged using the time tracker... I have no idea what just happened.

Please do excuse any possible mistakes, I am currently on mobile.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Zahra and Muhammad Hamdoon,

Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. Please check out this help article for more information. When this happens, first an automatic notification is sent but the team will also be reaching out to you directly via email with more information about your specific account.

Update: 

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

577 REPLIES 577
shalem_chinta
Community Member

Why the client has took the chargeback for granted. I have worked and already paid via bank and he has asked chargeback $1800 and $2000. Why does upwork hire fraud clients to ruin our life. Its killing poor person dont you all understand even after paying and working hard. This amount is too big why wont you all understand, though after sharing too many proofs still upwork asks for refund. Upwork is not good place to work. I want my hard earned money which is restricted.

Hi Shalem,

We are sorry to have to take this step. This action is a result of the client filing a dispute with their financial institution.

To try to resolve this issue, you may wish to speak to your client about why they filed the chargeback, or ask them to contact the Upwork support team to discuss the matter.

The Upwork team can try to help too by submitting a rebuttal to your client’s bank on your behalf. If you’d like us to do that, timing is critical. If you haven’t already, please reply to the email you received from our Chargeback team within 48 hours and attach proof of the work or deliverables you completed for the client.

Keep in mind that the client’s bank will have the final say and we have no control over the outcome. The team will update you via the support ticket once they hear from your client’s bank. If they agree with our rebuttal, the payment that was reversed will be reapplied to your account.

~ AJ
Upwork

I have tried to explain many times tons of emails I have done with proof. Why do you all hire fake clients? Client is only not replying how will I get to speak the client. Its a big request to upwork to stop hiring fraud clients. We are earning for a living not to do chargeback. Its really disappointing, we work then for no reason client goes and does chargeback. Whats the use of this upwork then? Its like working for free. I need justice, I am fighting since two months.

Hi Shalem,

Upwork does not hire clients or freelancers. As stated in the User Agreement Section 2.1 "We offer a work marketplace: an online platform for Users to find and connect with each other. We are not involved directly in your negotiations or the delivery of Freelancer Services and are not a party to any agreements you may make with other Users. You are solely responsible for your content published to Upwork and for your agreements with other Users, including vetting each other and performance under the agreements."

Please know that even if we do our part in verifying the payment method of a client, there is no telling when they will file a chargeback. This is an action on the client's side that we have no control over as the bank will then charge Upwork the fees released to the freelancer. 

I highly suggest you coordinate with the team assisting you on this case as your concern is already being handled by the correct team.

~ AJ
Upwork
226478ef
Community Member

I was sent an hourly contract although I asked for a sum payment and nowhere in the contract it mentioned I had to download an app. I logged in the hours on the Upwork site, did all the work, the client said I had done none, I sent Upwork the over 100 pages of work done for the client and Upwork decided I would not be paid and the client can keep my work as I did not do it through the app. My lawyer says if logging hours through the app is a legal requirement it should be in the contract I received (it is not) or on Upwork's Terms of Use (it is not). It is just mentioned on a "Getting Started" page that has zero legal value and Upwork cannot force someone to read - or at least not telling them reading it is mandatory. Only Terms of Use have any legal value. Anybody come through something similar? We are taking them to court as we have the resources to do so.

Hi Trya,

Thank you for reaching out. It looks like you have a client account and not a freelancer account. Is there another account involved?

Please also check our Terms of Use regarding hourly payment (section 6.1) as it is stated here that freelancers must use Work Diaries to document any and all hours to be covered by Payment Protection.

~ AJ
Upwork
alitanveer64
Community Member

Hi Team,

When i clicked on get paid. Then it shows me this message, "Withdrawal is currently restricted on your account. Please contact Upwork Support." please open the support ticket with the relevant Support team. So I will Directly communicate with them. Please check the screenshot that i have shared with you. 

Hi Tanveer,

Some reversals (chargebacks) are a result of the client contacting their bank and asking them to reverse the payment
In these cases, Upwork would seek reimbursement from freelancers/agencies in cases where their client makes a payment, asks their bank to reverse it, and the bank does. (see more detail in sections 6.3-6.5 in our TOS).

In the meantime, the freelancer won’t be able to withdraw any funds until the amount is returned to us. If funds are available in their Upwork account, the Upwork team will pull the amount due from that balance. If not, the freelancer would need to let Upwork know when they have enough funds in their Upwork account so that we can collect the past due amount. Once this amount is returned to Upwork, the freelancer will be able to withdraw funds again.

~ AJ
Upwork
junaidshahs
Community Member

Does Upwork feel that freelancers are sheep and can sell any freelancer to a con?

Was it written in the contract that we must return the client's amount whenever a client wants?

Freelancers are on Upwork to earn, not to RETURN some cons amount.

Please elaborate on the work & payment safety of a freelancer on Upwork.

Can you elaborate on the issue. It is not clear from your message that when did the refund happen with 24 hours of contract or after that period. I believe it is a clear cut process that refund to client after 24 hours will be happen only after freelancer approve the same.

However if no action happen from either side on refund for 7 days than payment or refund go forward. Please refer some links below for info.

Refund to client Escrow refund 

I have worked for a client on guest posting and also provided him with some guest posts for free as after-sale services. He approved my work and gave me a five-star review on 12/11/2022. Last night I received an email from Upwork that the client has filed the case in his bank, and I have to pay back the amount. Otherwise, they will Jam my fund transfers and pay him back the amount out of my subsequent earnings. When I started working on his website, his website DR was ten. Now it's 42. I don't know why that client and Upwork are doing this to me.

Sajal,

There is no time limit for refund of a client's payment due to chargeback by the bank that issued the "client's" credit card. This may happen because the "client" disputed the charge by Upwork and instructed bank to reverse payment or the card was used by a "client" who wasn't the rightful owner of the card used for payment.

Upwork does not offer payment protection on fixed price contracts if this happens. Upwork isn't paid by the client; Upwork doesn't pay the freelancer.

Hi Junaid,

This is a difficult situation and I understand your frustration. Some reversals (chargebacks) are a result of the client contacting their bank and asking them to reverse the payment.

In these cases, we look to our Terms of Service (TOS) for guidance and follow it by taking two steps:
1. We seek reimbursement from freelancers/agencies in cases where their client makes a payment, asks their bank to reverse it, and the bank does. (see more detail in sections 6.3-6.5 in our TOS).
2. We review the client’s Upwork account because reversing a payment, in most cases, is against our TOS and can result in us permanently suspending their Upwork account.

Aside from these steps, the Upwork team also helps the freelancer or agency challenge the reversal.
Our team can submit a rebuttal to the client’s bank on the freelancer’s behalf if they provide a proof of the work or deliverables. They would need to move quickly, so please provide the requested proof within 48 hours of being notified of the reversal if you’d like us to proceed. Keep in mind that it can take the bank up to 90 days to review and provide their final decision. The client’s bank will have the final say regarding the rebuttal and we have no control over the outcome.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie,

Please show me an Upwork TO that is in the security of Freelancers.

After cutting 20% security fees on every job, why are you showing me these TOS?

The client says he never registered an application in the bank and didn't receive any amount back.

While Upwork says, the amount is reversed.

I have talked to many bankers they all said the amount could not be reversed without the receiver's consent.
Now Upwork, either the client or the bankers are telling the truth.

Please show me an Upwork TO that is in the security of Freelancers.

After cutting 20% security fees on every job, why are you showing me these TOS?

The client says he never registered an application in the bank and didn't receive any amount back.

While Upwork says, the amount is reversed.

I have talked to many bankers they all said the amount could not be reversed without the receiver's consent.
Now Upwork, either the client or the bankers are telling the truth.

Hi Junaid,

Thank you for your message. I understand your concern. Our Terms of Services (TOS) are meant to protect both clients and freelancers on the platform. As confirmed by AJ, the client has reached their bank to requested a reversal. I see that you are already communicating with the dedicated team via a support ticket that handles these request. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
d277beaa
Community Member

Hi Upwork Team, hope all of you are fine.

I have a payment, that is due since last Friday, but still stuck in "Pending". Previously, I was told that as I am not having memos, along with screenshots, so payment is not Upwork Protected. But, this time, I even have memos..
Moreover, I don't know the issue, but this is my 2nd time with the same client, the same issue,   Kindly help me with this...

Thanks,
Best Regards

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad, 

It sounds like you're referring to Faster Payouts. Please know that cleared payments are released on Fridays by 5 a.m. UTC. If your client disputes your hours or their billing method cannot be successfully charged, your payment will be processed according to the Weekly Billing Cycle. You may visit this article for more information about Faster Payouts. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks Avery, for helping me out..
But the issue is, client didn't dispute, and I met all Payment Protection criteria, but even then, my funds got reversed..
Last time, I was mentioned that you do have screenshots, but missing memos are the reason of Refund, as client's payment method failed..
But this time, as there was no reason, Funds got refunded, without any reason....

Hi Muhammad,

Arjay here stepping in for Avery. I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected refund that's been processed on your account. Please note that when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed.

However, I can see that the team has reached out to you with more details about the issue and instructions on how to best address it. We highly suggest you continue coordinating with the team via email or the support ticket on this page. They will surely assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
php_dev_shawon
Community Member

Hello, Upwork community; I would like to tell you something. I'm facing significant issues here. I received $120 from my client. My money was in my account. Upwork just reversed my money after ten days. What kind of solution you guys are providing to the freelancers, I don't know. You guys are telling me that client made fraudulent activities and payments. Why should I be concerned about the payments and the activities? If I stand with your terms and condition and if I don't do any violations, then why should I be punished? If the client made something wrong, it's your concern, not mine. If the client made a fraudulent payment. Why did you guys not do something back then? Why after 10 days? I want my money back, that was my monthly expense. I spend 32+ hours doing that work. Furthermore, I worked with the client, and he was satisfied that the contract had ended and the money was in my account. After ten days, you guys just took my money from my account? 

Problem Solved

Hi Shawon,

I'm really sorry to learn about this unpleasant and disappointing experience. I can see that you've communicated with the team and they have provided you with more information about the issue. Please don't hesitate to update this support ticket if you still have questions or need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hello Arjay, thank you so much for replying. The upwork support team solved my problem. Thanks to Upwork.

affanqureshi150
Community Member

Contract ID: 31977673

The payment was refunded out of nowhere yesterday. I'm not sure what really happened, I charged 4 hours with a $25/hr rate. $80 is supposed to be in my account after Upwork's commission. I haven't received it in my current overview and just after it went to pending, it got reversed. This is so Unfair!

I'm not sure, why?

The contract ended with 5 Stars rating. I would highly appreciate as I need Upwork Admins to help me to get my money back for which I have spent 4 working hours providing multiple logo design concepts. It takes a whole lot of effort to win the job and spending connects, etc. After getting a single project and working hours and hours on it, in the end, if we get a refund. This would seem like a whole disappointing moment for anyone on Upwork. 

I'm really looking forward to hearing from Admins and Mods to resolve this issue,

Affan

Hi Affan,

I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected refund that's been processed on your account. Please note that when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed.

I can see that your case has been forwarded to the relevant team for review and Support Tickets have been created. Please review the most recent update from the team on this ticket and don't hesitate to communicate if you have questions or clarifications.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hey Arjay,

I have proofs and evidences that I have worked on the project and provided the final deliveries. This is a kind of scam from this client as I lost my money for which I have spent my working hours. I had to struggle a lot in bidding to win that job and after working and getting the project completed with 5 stars rating, what I have got is nothing but a refund. Can you please help me out here? How am i supposed to get atleast something for which I have spent my working hours.

He needs to be dealt with something, a warning, response from Upwork team to atleast give a reason for doing this to me on the contract we agreed with. I'd like to know if Upwork could do something about it. 

I look forward to your response,
~ Affan Q.

dfbaf41f
Community Member

I was working for a client whose work I have done correctly twice but he wants to take the payment from me with return please help me

Hi Rafiq,

I can see that you've communicated with the appropriate team via live support and it looks like they were able to assist you with your concern. Let us know if you still need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
junaidshahs
Community Member

If Upwork never gives payment security on Fixed price contracts, then a 20% fee deduction is not justified.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

The 20% fee (on the first $500 of each project) has been in place for many years, Junaid. And it covers far more than just payment protection (which can apply to fixed price contracts but more clearly applies to hourly contracts).

Even with that 20% fee Upwork is a loooooooong way from reporting profits to its shareholders, so one has to wonder why Upwork doesn't do more to combat client fraud, which would benefit both Upwork and freelancers.

2445178d
Community Member

Hello,

I worked for the client on an hourly basis. Today I had to receive the money but I saw that client is auto-refunded by Upwork? 

Invoice 532736031

Amount Refunded: $888.90

I worked hourly for that client, who was a scam I was supposed to have 1143 in my account, but now I receive 978$ top of that when the funds are available Upwork refunded my earned money to the client without my consent.

Upwork needs to look into this matter as soon as possible. The client did fraud with me and this auto refund is not valid.

Please solve this issue on priority.
Bilal

Hi Muhammad,

We're sorry to hear about your experience. Please note we have also reached out to your client in regard to this issue. Your client's payment did not go through, so Upwork reviewed the work diary per our Terms of Service. After your work diary is reviewed Upwork steps in and pays you for the time logged that meets Upwork Hourly Protection Criteria.

The review of your work diary showed that you logged hours that were not guaranteed for payment. In order to ensure your hours are all paid for even when your client's payment method fails, you will need to log time following the criteria listed here.

~ AJ
Upwork
c6176e72
Community Member

A client came and hired me for her Website and for domain and hosting. She paid me through bonus so I have to buy domain and hosting for her and will have to start work on website. After she paid me funds in bonus I brought domain and hosting. But after sometime I realize that the bonus is still pending and have not been transfered to my Upwork Account. Then, I messaged her but didn't got any response from her. 

I contacted Upwork Support but didn't got any help. It's been 25 days and I am still waiting for my funds and got nothing. I don't think that Upwork is a safest place to work for new freelancer like me. 

I haven't got any help from Upwork.

That is a scammer. Me too got this type of job offer. You will never get the bonus amount.

This seems weird, though. Why hasn't the money been released yet? Super weird. 

savshit
Community Member

Hello,

I think milestone is perfect way to work with client. before you start the work ask client to just create milestone which you agreed on. Then start work.

Thank you.

Why did you copy/paste a response made by another freelancer from a year ago?

Sorry, I thought this answer help someone and I face some condition that time I read that answer so I add it. Sorry for that. I have changed it.

Hi Quaratulain,

Thank you for reaching out. It looks like our team has already explained what happened via a support ticket that you have responded to. 

Please know that any financial transaction outside Upwork is against ToS such as purchasing for your client. It was also explained in the support ticket that bonuses are not covered by Upwork payment protection as that is an extra payment coming from the client and if they are unable to pay or having issues with their account, Upwork cannot step in and cover the payment.

Should you have further concerns, it would be best to respond to your support ticket.

ETA: I’m coming back here to update my response, Quratulain. Expense reimbursement is okay as long as it is done through Upwork (it can be done by sending a bonus) etc.

~ AJ
Upwork

So, if bonuses are not covered in Payment Protection then why Upwork tale commision on every bonus that not then part of Upwork. 
So, it seems like if I am new Freelancer and client pay me through Bonus then how will I be able to know it. It's a complete scam done on me. I want my funds as I have done work for client. Help me out in getting my funds.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members