🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unresponsive Client
Page options
anamariaach
Community Member

Unresponsive Client

Hi!

I have a contract with a client for a fixed price, I delivered the milestone but the client asked for changes. I did the changes but the client didn't answer anymore. After 14 days the milestone was approved but the job wasn't finished because it needed their final approval. It's been a week since the approval and I've sent messages but they don't answer (I've seen them online with the yellow dot on their profile). I don't know what to do since I'm afraid that if I end the contract, they give me a bad feedback 😞

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jr-translation
Community Member

There is no need to close the contract.

You could just let the contract sit there for a while. Maybe the client will reach out again in a few days, but if you close the contract he might feel fired.

It can be useful to have some dormant contracts in case another contract ends badly and you want to push the feedback further down in your working history.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

If it was me, I would go ahead and end the contract.

I would not contact the client again.

If I have something to tell a client, I send a single message, and then I am done with my messaging.

If I close the contract, then after two weeks, if the client does nothing, then it is impossible  for the client to leave feedback.

Now I have the money, and there is no bad feedback.

I don't look at dots on people's profiles.
I don't know if a client is online or not. I have never known. I have never cared.

I am very easy to contact. I'm online. If the client doesn't want to communicate, then I respect that choice.

I work on many fixed-price contracts.
For me there is no such thing as a fixed-price milestone that requires "final approval." Because every fixed-price milestone that I set up can be completed with zero further communications from the client. If an approval step is needed, such a step takes place AFTER I have completed my work on a milestone, not as a necessary part of completing the step.

I get paid for each fixed-price milestone even if the client never responds. Which is as it should be.

kenllua
Community Member

Hi!

I also have a similar issue, the difference is the client always asks for Irrevelant revisions even tho I already provided the files/design he needs and wanted more free work from me which is not discussed with the contract and the milestone. I felt like he wanted to exploit me in some way by not approving each milestone and always making alibis when I discuss payment. He always changes his mind every time and that makes a lot of revision since he doesn't have the clarity as to what he really wants, I also check with his former feedback on other freelancers and It seems like he does similar things when hiring most likely negative feedback for him. 

I already submitted my last milestones and wish not to continue doing the project, now he isn't responsive after I submitted the PSD files. Does my JSS get affected when I choose to end the contract myself? I'll be okay waiting for the payment in 14 days for the first milestone I submitted.

Thanks

Kent

re: "I also have a similar issue, the difference is the client always asks for Irrevelant revisions"

This is an hourly contract client.

You should NOT be working for a client like this using a fixed-price contract.

re: "Does my JSS get affected when I choose to end the contract myself?"

No.

No impact on JSS if you close the contract yourself.

Wait 14 days to get paid.

Then close the contract yourself.

Preston H wrote:

re: "Does my JSS get affected when I choose to end the contract myself?"

No.

No impact on JSS if you close the contract yourself.

Yes, if the client decides to leave a negative feedback.

jr-translation
Community Member

There is no need to close the contract.

You could just let the contract sit there for a while. Maybe the client will reach out again in a few days, but if you close the contract he might feel fired.

It can be useful to have some dormant contracts in case another contract ends badly and you want to push the feedback further down in your working history.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members