🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork's Exorbitant Connects Policy: A Barrie...
Page options
fayjur
Community Member

Upwork's Exorbitant Connects Policy: A Barrier to Job Accessibility

As a freelancer on Upwork, I've been increasingly troubled by the platform's recent policy changes regarding connects. For those unaware, connects are essentially the currency used to submit job proposals. In the past, the number of connects required for a job application was reasonable, but recently, it has skyrocketed to a staggering 19 connects per application.

Let me emphasize the gravity of this situation: 19 connects equate to a cost of $3 for a single job application. This means that freelancers are now expected to invest their hard-earned money just to apply for jobs on Upwork. As if navigating the competitive landscape wasn't challenging enough, this new policy adds a significant financial barrier, especially for freelancers who are just starting or operating on tight budgets.

I urge Upwork to reconsider this unfair policy. Freelancers should be judged based on their skills, experience, and merit, not on their ability to purchase connects. The essence of freelancing lies in providing equal opportunities for all, irrespective of financial status. By implementing such exorbitant connect requirements, Upwork is effectively alienating a large portion of its freelancer base.

It's disheartening to witness a platform that was once hailed for its accessibility now adopting practices that favor only those with disposable income. As freelancers, we rely on platforms like Upwork to connect with clients and sustain our livelihoods. However, when the cost of applying for jobs becomes prohibitive, it begs the question: Are we selling our skills or selling our financial stability to secure work?

I implore Upwork to revisit its connects policy and strive to create a more equitable environment for freelancers. Let's not turn the pursuit of meaningful work into a financial burden. Our skills should be our currency, not our wallets.

Thank you for considering this issue. Let's work towards a fairer future for all freelancers on Upwork.

0 REPLIES 0
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members