🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Use of Interviews and "I'm reaching out" like...
Page options
ppcbuilders
Community Member

Use of Interviews and "I'm reaching out" like Upwork is a Forum to Get Free Advice,

I am getting really sick of it.  

I am used to things like ' if this project works out, we could make this into a long term relationship " bulll**bleep**. 

Now though I am seeing lots of abuse of both interviews and this 'reaching out' protocol to simply tap my knowledge, and no doubt many others with questions NOT to test my bona fides, but simply to get free consulting, under this protective guise of an interview or reach outs.  I have spoken to upwork staff people and the higher ups.  And it is always same, "we will add it to the list things we will consider for the next dev/policy meeting."  

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

Don't work for free.

As a freelancer, it is your responsibility to not work for free.

You should get paid for your work.

Upwork can't micromanage this.

You need to develop effective strategies for responding to such clients. Or simply ignore them. Or block them.

This is on you.

Upwork can do something about it.  Allow a flag option - and a review.  And Issue warnings.  

There's already a flagging option available on both the project pages and on individual messages, where you can report clients if they ask for free work. But if all they're doing is asking to discuss something with you, that's not against the rules. What's so difficult about saying, "A consultation will cost $X"? 

6bfcdaf8
Community Member

I ignore job posts that try to sell me something. Either it is a future continuous work or how great their company is. I am the party doing the selling here. I'm not buying anything from a client. I'll run away faster than the speed of light if someone is describing their job post as an "opportunity".

All these being said, if i get a feeling that this may be the right type of client, i don't hold myself back from sharing ideas, information or expertise during an interview.

I am not talking about that.    I am conscious of the tricks.  I see a change in the landscape.  Maybe it's the economy sliding sideways... there are more attempts than I can ever remember.  I am highlighting it.  I am bring it up.  I don't expect anything/much to be done. 

Hi Doug,

I believe its the economy, more windowshoppers nowadays than the actual shoppers

pythondev90
Community Member

That's too confusing for me as well! But simple enough ! When a client came with that tone ! I ask him directly to book a paid consultation ! If he's ok. Then we are good to go. Otherwise I skip.

I don't waste my time or my expertise for free.

but guess what ! Sometime , you can lose a potential client as they might think it's kinda sound of Ego 

fe9b8d82
Community Member

You're the freelancer, you're providing the service that the client can't (or isn't able) to provide for themselves.  Always tell the client WHY you can solve their problems, don't tell them the details of HOW you're going to.  Getting into the nuts and bolts details and giving them a step by step guide is just giving them free access to your know how.  That's on you to protect.

If I'm talking to a potential client, I listen to what they're worried about protecting, then go through the list and tell them what I can provide in terms of protection, but I never tell them exactly how I plan to do that.  "There's language we can include in the contract that will work."  If they want to know what that language is, they can start handing over  some $$$.

My own personal safeguard is to keep my communication in Upwork chat exclusively, until I'm pretty sure the client is an actual client looking to hire me, then I'll consider moving on to a Zoom meeting on Upwork.  But an immediate "let's set up a call to discuss" is pretty much a non-starter.  If you're a serious client, you will have a serious discussion where you can lay out your problem in detail, in text, for me to review.  That's me, that may not work for you, but I have no issue losing an occasional client just because I won't jump when they whistle for a Zoom meeting to talk about their vague job posting.

tlsanders
Community Member

I can't imagine what you're looking for Upwork to build to substitute for your own judgment in determining whether/to what degree to engage with prospective clients.

(1) ability to flag (2) a Review (3) and a warning to the job poster.  

You see Upwork can potentially view the other "conversations" the job posters are having with others than me.

The attitude with some of these replies surprises me.  I am older.  I am experienced and been full-time in here for 12 years.  It is not that I can't detect the potential that the client is dubious.  What I am saying is there MORE OF THIS NOW.   Again, I think Upwork should be conscious of this change in job-poster behavior.  I am very active interviewing, taking short term jobs and I see it.  Maybe others aren't interviewing at the pace I am.   Things get worse if you don't speak up.  I am speaking up because I have observed a change that is consequential

celgins
Community Member

I feel your pain, and I agree. I, too, think these types of "let me see if I can squeeze free information out of this freelancer" jobs have increased. Mainly because the growth in rogue clients and scam job postings is likely commensurate to that of unskilled freelancers.

For your suggestions: 1) flagging a job already exists, but it doesn't seem to work very well; (2) a review would almost certainly require a manual review, which means human/staff resources, and that seems to be an issue these days; and (3) warnings to the client/job poster won't happen unless the client is violating Upwork's TOS.

Upwork may have stated to you that "we will add it to the list things we will consider for the next dev/policy meeting," but I expect nothing to be done about it. Your suggestion might benefit freelancers by ridding the platform of these types of job postings, but it doesn't really benefit Upwork. If it doesn't benefit them, to the back-burner it goes.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members