🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Value of jobs posted not accurate
Page options
jessicawallis
Community Member

Value of jobs posted not accurate

I understand the reasons given by Upwork to increase the costs of connects to deter spammers etc. I don't understand how clients can post jobs saying they are worth $30-40 an hr, which now cost around 20 connects, you apply and then find out they are only willing to pay $10 an hour. The value of a $10 an hour job would be much cheaper to apply for (and I wouldn't have applied at this rate). Is there a way to report this and get a refund on connects ($3.60) when the jobs are posted inaccurately? It seems like an abuse of the system on the clients part. 

13 REPLIES 13
bui
Community Member

As far as I know, once we submit the connects, its already unrefundable.... 

Yes, it seems so. I didn't mind this so much when you at least got 'an interview' to then discover they were lying in the job description and then connects were refunded but now Upwork don't do this it just seems to be throwing money at connects for jobs that don't exist or are posted inaccurately with probably 1/10 jobs being legit. I've just stopped applying for jobs now as thankfully I get enough invites for jobs but it is a shame as last year the system seemed to be a lot better for freelancers. 

If the client switches payment method, or payment, it should be considered a scam, and the connects returned if the freelancer doesn't want to modify their bid or payment method.

bui
Community Member

That is really good for you to get invites, for me I have been struggling for new jobs or invites for more than 6months now. All interviews always went zonk.

I've had quite a few clients say that recently Upwork hasn't been working well for them now either as good freelancers are not applying for jobs for the connect costs / fake posts etc. They prefer to just invite legit freelancers than open the doors to spammers, scammers, time wasters and agencies. Again, I understand the reasons for Upwork upping the costs and cutting the interview returns on connects but I'm not convinced that the new system is working for clients or freelancers. It just seems like the only advantage is that Upwork is making more money via connects. 

Yes my client also told me that they are not getting quality freelancers proposal and right match after 25- 30 proposals and invite non of them know how to do their projects...I didn't here from 1 client, 2-3 client told me same like they are not getting that talent which match with their projects. I fact is I am here but they didn't found my profile while invite even...strange algorithm I guess.

they shifted to another platform and find me there easily. It's since when connects increase recently in march around. Means first 10 to 15 proposal are scripted or bot generated and quality freelancers will rethink already this much proposal so I have to invest on this job post or not because client invited 5,7,10-30 freelancers 

bui
Community Member

Yes agreed I used to spent $50 to apply for jobs in addition with my membership which is now at $20/month, and all end up with nothing, only wasted $50 down the drain.. without any results at all.

tjmisny
Community Member

I totally agree with this concern.  It's hard to exist on Upwork without being ripped off in one way or another.  

fred-derf
Community Member

I have seen this many times though not by applying, usually in the text of the "generous compensation" offer.

For example, the heading will have "expert" and $1000 budget, then reading the proposal it gets to the punchline: Edit 8, 9-12 minute videos per week for $30 each - 32 in total for $1000/month.

Ongoing too. Wow...what an incentive for an expert!

Idiocies like this are so commonplace here. For the Upwork veterans we can remember just a few years ago getting real invitations. The scammish-type of postings were uncommon.

What's incredible now is while I am "Top rated plus" I never...NEVER get invites, Even with the supposedly worthwhile "available" highlight...at an additional expense...of course.

During the nearly two years I did not look for work here with any intensity I would receive invites at about two a week.

Honestly...I believe my profile is not showing up to prospective clients at all. It's that or only those with lowball hourlies will get top billing.

fred-derf
Community Member

One might think it would be beneficial for Upwork to promote and encourage the freelancers with quality skills...and yes, higher rates to increase the amount that it gets with the 10% fee.

Just think, in a 30-hour job the $60/hr. freelancer will fork over $180, while the commonly hired, low quality $9/hr. beginner will throw in just $27.

Also wondering how those highly-compensated CEOs and other bigwigs never figured that out.

One FL will pay $10 just for apply average. 50 will pay $500. Who need $180 after week if you can take $500 for hour? From one job. Without support, time tracking, possible disputes... Post 10 fakes and receive $5000. Bigwigs very well figured that out. 😉

For example, right now i watching one job post where applied hour ago. It is easy fast job. But Upwork hidding my proposal from client, other applicants continue to waste more and more. For this job: i have enough expirience, i agree with price proposed, i know how to do it very fast, im available and can do it right now. Only one reason to delete\hide my proposal: job must be opened and other freelancer must waste money. Or this is fake auto-generated job just for connects collecting. Client have last feedback at 2019. It may be abandoned account and old owner have no idea about jobpost from his behalf. Of course client may just dont like my face so ignoring me. But within last year an 90% of clients dont like my face: that proposals was never viewed by clients.

fred-derf
Community Member

I understand the reasons given by Upwork to increase the costs of connects to deter spammers etc

Really? I remember not too long ago it took maybe four connects at the most to apply for a job. Yep. In those days I received invites and a few hires! Spammers were rare.

Today it looks like over 85% of the posts are spam, scams or super-duper lowball cheap-o proposals.

The reality: the increased cost requires the honorable, professional, experienced freelancers to foot the bill.

Quite frankly, I believe those proposals with the boosts with over 60 connects are planted by the management here. Just an enticement to get a few to bid 61 connects. The job proposals will stay on, never cancelled meaning those connects go down the drain and the $$$ lines the pockets of the bigwigs.

Of course, it is my theory. I do not claim to have knowledge of this being a fact but the circumstantial evidence makes it almost impossible for me to not believe such.

Upwork needs to intensify the screening and security for both parties. With technology available today, this should be a no-brainer.

My bank, phone company and others do their utmost to keep their operations as clean as possible from the fraudsters out there.

Oh yes. If I ever have an issue in these I can call customer service and speak with a live agent.

By saying 'I understand the reasons', I mean I acknowledge the reasons given by Upwork. Not that I believe they are functioning in a way that improves the platform for either the client or the freelancer. For me the solution is easy – stop paying for connects and stop applying for jobs on the platform, if it doesn't pay off it doesn't make sense to use the function. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members