» Forums » Freelancers » W-8BEN form or W-9?
Page options
Community Member

W-8BEN form or W-9?

Hello, I want to start working with upwork but first I want to make sure which form should I fill. W-8BEN or W-9 form???

I am an Argentinian designer living in the US under a J2 visa with a valid EAD (Employment Authorization Document) and SSN.  

My accountant told me I shoud file the W-8BEN form because I am not considered a "US person" by the IRS in my actual status. I completed the form in Upwork but when I go to Settings > Get paid the following message appears: 

In order to withdraw earnings, please complete a W9 Form.

When I click on W9 Form it redirects me to the W-8BEN form I already filled.

Which form am I supposed to fill??


Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mariela, 

I shared your concern with the Customer Support Team and they will reach out to you to assist you further with your concern. 

~ Avery
Community Member

Hi Mariela,


I'm in the exact same situation, did you solve it? I'm not sure if I can take a job from Upwork due to my status.


Thanks in advance!



Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Carolina.


One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to advise you regarding this concern. 

~ Bojan
Community Member

I require help with my case which is very similar to the above. I have already had help with this but it is now causing me further problems. I'd appreciate support. Thanks 

Hi Heather,


I looked closer at your account and confirmed that we need you to confirm your services on Upwork are being physically performed outside the U.S. This important confirmation is currently missing from your W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E and needs to be updated.


You may want to check this help article to learn more about the process. Let us know if you need further assistance; we'll look further into that for you.


~ Arjay
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members