🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What are sample edits suppose to look like?
Page options
everett_rheyanna
Community Member

What are sample edits suppose to look like?

I'm very new to being a freelance editor. When a client asks to see editing work samples, what should that look like? Is it supposed to look like an error-free page of words that reads beautifully or a page full of red marks and side notes full of suggestions?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
the-right-writer
Community Member

You can put samples in your portfolio. Make sure it is something you wrote, or you have permission to use, because you can't use other projects or anything you find, without permission. Stick with something you or friends write for you, with some errors, and then show how you corrected them.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
celgins
Community Member

It should look completely empty because the client should not be asking for editing samples. Free samples are against Upwork's Terms of Service.

If the client wants a sample, they can start a contract with a small milestone. If they don't like your sample, they can pay you for your time, close the contract and find another freelancer.

Edited: Jeanne's advice is spot-on. I was thinking the client asked you to edit their document as a test, which prompted my response above.

the-right-writer
Community Member

You can put samples in your portfolio. Make sure it is something you wrote, or you have permission to use, because you can't use other projects or anything you find, without permission. Stick with something you or friends write for you, with some errors, and then show how you corrected them.

elizabeth_samit
Community Member

Rheyanna, I include samples of my editing where I used "Track Changes" to make the changes. That way, the prospective client can see your changes. 'Hope that helps!

Hi there!

I'm facing the same conundrum.  It was suggested by a friend that I pull a page from one of the books I edited, turn the 'track changes' version into a PDF, then take the same page in its finished/accepted state, turn it into a PDF, and package them together and forward that to the prospective client.

The challenge I have ethically is sharing a pre-publication version of someone else's work and IP.  This becomes especially daunting when I can't get a hold of the client whose work I want to share, to obtain permission.  And no, I didn't think to ask for permission to use the work as samples before the contract was completed.  The work I want to reference was done before I joined this platform.

A bit long and rambling!  My apologies.

It was suggested by a friend that I pull a page from one of the books I edited, t

No! Not unless the author or owner gives you permission! Read my post in the solution.

The challenge I have ethically is sharing a pre-publication version of someone else's work and IP.

It's not only ethics, it is legality.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members