🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What is this &amp that's all over the place?
Page options
sparkesusan
Community Member

What is this &amp that's all over the place?

What is the &amp that is spread out all over the different job descriptions?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Job Feedback

Save Job

Fixed-price - Expert - Est. Budget: $200 - Posted 37 minutes ago

Only freelancers located in the United States may apply.

Hello, I am in the process of applying to different part-time teaching jobs and will like someone to redo my resume and cover letter to be more suitable for the jobs posting in these areas. THE PRICE IS NEGOTIABLE

Skip skills

Developmental EditingFormattingFact-CheckingSpeechResume WritingCover Letter WritingResume

Job Feedback

Save Job

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

I'd like to update this thread and let you know that this issue has been addressed and is no longer reproducible. 
I will be closing this thread from further comments. However, if you experience the issue with ampersand or any other symbols not showing correctly on the site, feel free to report it here in the forums or directly to customer support.  
Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Susan,

Could you please clarify what you're referring to? I checked the job posting you were referring to and I don't see any &amp symbols in its description. The ampersand symbols (&) are showing correctly in the job title. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

It's when "&" is displayed wrongly.

Usually a code-issue on the side of a website.

I came to this post to comment that it looks like the encoding errors on job posts is displaying &amp where there should be quotes (").

So you would see &ampDetail Oriented&amp

Sometimes there is Quote written on both sides of a word instead of an actual quote"

I know very little about actual coding, but now that I see your comment I think it validates what I think about this somewhat. 

pgiambalvo
Community Member

I'm seeing it too.

7f9b79df
Community Member

"&" is the encoded value of an ampersand. For example: "This & That" is html encoded as "&" which results as: "This & That".

You're seeing the raw "&amp" on the Upwork site (occassionally/randomly) because their development team is not properly encodeing/decoding and/or is double encoding/single decoding. Or similar. I've seen this randomly throughout the job postings, emails, etc... 

I knew it was something in coding. Thank you for clarifying. I learned something new. At least it's only annoying and not something horribly wrong.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

All, thanks for sharing that you've noticed the same issue happening. I'll be flagging this thread and the reports you've shared to our engineers.

~ Valeria
Upwork

It seems like this problem existed back in 2020 as well. Here is a screenshot Screenshot 2021-12-10 204931.png

Hi Gabriela,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'd be happy to check this with our team. I'd just like to request, could you please share additional information? Could you also let us know if what browser you are using and if the browser version is up-to-date?

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne,

I am using Chrome, and after your comment I checked and I noticed it's outdated.

More and more I'm reading job offers that have "&quot" intermingled, many times, with the correct words.  This is a bit annoying and makes it difficult to read the sentences.

Here is a recent example;

I have a workbook with 2 sheets named “"Data" and "?Calcs&quot”.

When I actually click on the job, the words are correct.  What all of the above nonsense boils down to is " I have a workbook with 2 sheets named Data and Calcs".   So, why all of the extra mess?  Is this on my end or the poster's end?  I did the deleting of cookies and cache thing to no avail.

Does anybody have any idea about this?

Thanks !

Hi Randy, 

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. I shared your report with our team for further review and one of our agents also reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

It's been this for weeks in the job postings. 

YEP !

One of the Community Gurus pointed out in another post that it is a coding error (apparently Upwork knows about this the tech team are working on it) which is causing some symbols to show as these letters.

Quotes: '' are showing up as &quot

Ampersand: & is showing up as &amp

That is how these two symbols look like in coding language and some glitch/error is displaying the codes instead of the symbols.

Notice that &quot appear when clients want to put a quote, Like if you read this description type ''I am Interested''. ("I am Interested")

I have gotten so used to these I just read right through them LOL

I've seen this is lots of other internet sites. It's annoying but I'm sure the coders are grateful is anybody politely brings it to their attention. Best wishes.

I'm getting it all the time too, and it is annoying. But one can, as Bilal says, read through it, although it does make the job look a bit spammy. 

What is more irritating is checking a job offer and then not being able to get back to the job feed page because the slider bar on the right disappears; 

Nichola,

I think you mean checking the job post after left-clicking on it to see it on the same page?

I just don't feel comfortable doing that, and always open everything in a new tab.

Bilal M wrote:

Nichola,

I think you mean checking the job post after left-clicking on it to see it on the same page?

[...]

No, I don't mean that actually. I mean after reading a job post in full, when I go back to the feed page it is frozen and the scroll bar on the right is no longer there. I have to then go out of everything and start again.   

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

I'd like to update this thread and let you know that this issue has been addressed and is no longer reproducible. 
I will be closing this thread from further comments. However, if you experience the issue with ampersand or any other symbols not showing correctly on the site, feel free to report it here in the forums or directly to customer support.  
Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members