🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What is unclear about JSS?
Page options
samantha_huls
Community Member

What is unclear about JSS?

Hey everyone!

I’m Samantha, and I host the Upwork onboarding webinars. I'm working on creating new and engaging content for Freelancers for the upcoming year, and I need your help!

 

I'm currently trying to decide what topics to cover within the subject of JSS (Job Success Scores), so I wanted to put out a question to everyone:

 

What are some things that you find unclear about JSS? 

 

Thanks for your help! Can't wait to continue to see you all on the platform and in our webinars in the new year. Smiley Happy

15 REPLIES 15
a_lipsey
Community Member


Samantha H wrote:

Hey everyone!

I’m Samantha, and I host the Upwork onboarding webinars. I'm working on creating new and engaging content for Freelancers for the upcoming year, and I need your help!

 

I'm currently trying to decide what topics to cover within the subject of JSS (Job Success Scores), so I wanted to put out a question to everyone:

 

What are some things that you find unclear about JSS? 

 

Thanks for your help! Can't wait to continue to see you all on the platform and in our webinars in the new year. Smiley Happy


The most common misconception is that the public stars are what guide JSS. People most often don't realize that clients leave private feedback and this is what weighs against your JSS. 

 

Also - that it's based on your best of a 6-, 12-, or 24-month cycle. So things drop in or the weight of contracts changed based on your window. (At least to my understanding...now)

I'd like to know why my JSS says 99% on my profile but 100% in the sidebar when I'm on the "Find work" screen. I've heard that it can take a bit of time for both ratings to sync, but it's been like this for over two months now.

 

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 10.27.44 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-15 at 10.27.31 pm.png

 

Hi Christine,

That second bar you're referring to is your profile completion bar. Looks like your profile is 100% filled out! Great stuff!

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! Maybe it should say "profile completeness" next to that stat, because I've seen others ask this question in the forum as well.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hi, Samantha,

 

Is there also an onboarding webinar for new clients to make it clear to them how important their ratings and the JSS are for freelancers?

 

For example, are new clients told that although 3 is the average of 1 and 5 a rating of "3" for a freelancer does not indicate they did "average" (i.e. acceptable, but not extraordinary) work on a project?

 

 

Hi Will,

I also conduct the client onboarding webinars, and we do mention how important feedback is to freelancers. But I think your idea about breaking down what a great score constitutes could find its way into our presentation in the new year. Thank you for your feedback!

Thanks for considering that, Samantha.

johnchristopher2
Community Member

Hi Samantha,

 

Do you have any advice for long-term contracts and JSS?

When I started my profile in 2017 I logged 900 hours on a client's project, but had to quit.

The client never closed that and I had made some mistakes in the months after that which got my account flagged.

(I was younger and dumber 🙂 )

 

Right now I'm still focusing on longer term contracts and I would like to know if you have any advice on finally getting a JSS rating. Do I need to log another 900 hours to offset the previous 900 and thus get a 50% JSS or does it work differently?

 

Thanks in advance for your time.


John R. C wrote:

Do you have any advice for long-term contracts and JSS?

When I started my profile in 2017 I logged 900 hours on a client's project, but had to quit.


Please read this article!

The contract from 2017 no longer counts towards your JSS as it is outside the maximum 2 year window and contracts without feedback do not hurt the JSS anyway.

 

You'll get a JSS when you have completed 4 or more (depending on contract-size) from a minimum of 2 different clients.

I have one question: what exactly is the algorithm for calculating JSS? 😉

Hi Richard,

 

To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. Thanks for your understanding.

 

~ Nikola
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member


Nikola S wrote:

To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. .


Richard was joking but one can't help but appreciate the irony of this answer in a thread created by Upwork with the title "What is unclear about JSS?"

a_lipsey
Community Member


Petra R wrote:

Nikola S wrote:

To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. .


Richard was joking but one can't help but appreciate the irony of this answer in a thread created by Upwork with the title "What is unclear about JSS?"




Petra R wrote:

Nikola S wrote:

To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. .


Richard was joking but one can't help but appreciate the irony of this answer in a thread created by Upwork with the title "What is unclear about JSS?"


I'm beginning to think the moderators don't actually read the threads before replying. 

To be fair, this thread was meant for data-gathering so that I can find opportunities for additional training for freelancers, but I'm glad we've been able to answer some questions along the way Smiley Happy

sunnykingisup
Community Member

Hi Samantha,

 


What are some things that you find unclear about JSS? 


I think the best topic to cover would be which are the factors for the JSS that increase or decrease the JSS? And how we can track them in our daily work and can be clear enough to know what will happen if any XYZ change occurs in any of our ABC factors of JSS.

Thank you!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members

Upcoming Events
Jun 25
Crafting Your Compelling Story
Talent Toolbox English