🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » When do I qualify for JSS and a badge?
Page options
drahmartin
Community Member

When do I qualify for JSS and a badge?

My profile was transferred from Elance and I became active on Upwork this July. I’ve 100% profile completed and have had my identity verified. I also have a long term contract since July and have gone on to complete at least two other short contract jobs on Upwork but I’m yet to receive a JSS and a badge. I would like to know if I’m doing anything wrong because I feel I have done enough to earn a JSS and a badge.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Martin,

In order to get a Job Success Score, freelancers need to complete:

• Projects with 2 (or more) different clients who left feedback
  • 4 (or more) different contracts within 24 months

More than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects, and nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects.

To get the Top Rated badge, you'll need to fulfill all of the requirements mentioned in this help article.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

550 REPLIES 550
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Martin,

In order to get a Job Success Score, freelancers need to complete:

More than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects, and nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects.

To get the Top Rated badge, you'll need to fulfill all of the requirements mentioned in this help article.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi, 

I dont see my Job Sucees Score anymore. I have done more than 100 projects, and my JSS was 94% a couple days ago and now it is dissapeared, there is nothing present there. Several days it shows that no Job Success Score available, why and how long will it be this way, can anyone please tell me?

Birgit U wrote:

Several days it shows that no Job Success Score available, why

You no longer have enough contract outcomes in the maximum 2 year window to calculate a JSS from.

Birgit U wrote:

... how long will it be this way, can anyone please tell me?

Until you have a couple more closed and completed contracts in the 2 year window.

And how many of them I need? 

Birgit U wrote:

And how many of them I need? 

4 or more altogether, mostly, from at least 2 different clients.

jkiani
Community Member

Hi Petra, can you check my profile? I still don't have a JSS despite completing 5 jobs in the past 24 months.

petra_r
Community Member

Jan Haider K wrote:

Hi Petra, can you check my profile? I still don't have a JSS 

Yes, you do

jkiani
Community Member

Yeh! I just saw it 🙂 I wasn't expecting the raising talent badge still there. I thought that was only for those profiles who don't have a jSS? No?

petra_r
Community Member

Jan Haider K wrote:

I wasn't expecting the raising talent badge still there. I thought that was only for those profiles who don't have a jSS? No?

It will vanish by itelf over the next couple of days

Hi Petra,

May you please try to check my profile? I still don't see my JSS and I'm already at $1000 earnings. Should I be qualified for top rated right away?

How is that possible that 90% of my clients recommend me as a freelancer. I have had no account holds, I have 15 out 16 Top Rated eligible weeks, I have completed 4 different projects in past 2 months with 5 star ratings and my JSS score has gone down to 73%, basically noone will hire me in the future and the fact that since 2012 I have worked here and none of my clients have given me lower ratings than 4,25 out of 5 does not matter a thing. I am sincerely dissapointed in this JSS rating system, how does that even work. It is so unfair, especially towards long term freelancers. I have completed successfully 128 projects here since 2012. I dont understand how am I supposed to rise from this.

Yes, I had 1 dissapointing result with a client and I ended my contract with her (no payment) because she was so unreasonable and that is enough to lower my rating from 90% to 73%. It takes so little, I am baffled.

A 4.25 publicly is almost certainly far worse on the private feedback. The public stars mean very little. It sounds like your clients leave poor private feedback. If you go under My Stats what does your % of clients who would recommend you say?

Its 90%, but there is no difference anymore. The more they change the platform, the worse it gets for a freelancer. Its always about clients. They see no problem if clients leave a public good feedback and leave a bad hidden feedback (same clients). I have worked here since 2012 and completed sucessfully 128 projects, with the lowest score 4.25 and only in couple of occasions. But that does not matter a thing. Seems like my days here are over. I see no possible way anyone would hire 73% JSS person, if they can hire 90%. I know, I wouldn`t. Thank you for your answer.

Birgit U wrote:

Its 90%, but there is no difference anymore. The more they change the platform, the worse it gets for a freelancer. Its always about clients. They see no problem if clients leave a public good feedback and leave a bad hidden feedback (same clients). I have worked here since 2012 and completed sucessfully 128 projects, with the lowest score 4.25 and only in couple of occasions. But that does not matter a thing. Seems like my days here are over. I see no possible way anyone would hire 73% JSS person, if they can hire 90%. I know, I wouldn`t. Thank you for your answer.

I came back from an 88% JSS at one point. I know someone else who came back from 50% and is now at 100%. This was pre-COVID, of course, but still, it's possible. But if you think the platform isn't right for you then there's no forcing it to work. You have to go where it makes sense to invest your business expenses. 

Considering tight competition here I am not so sure about coming back from this. I will try but I don`t have much faith in such a rise. Will see how it goes. 

I have to agree that that makes no sense:  It sounds like Upwork is basically rewarding people for switching jobs constantly. Basically saying you get a "high" score for doing 4-5 different jobs in 24 months but get a "low" score for keeping the same 1-2 clients for 3-4 years.  It would seem to me a freelancer that can KEEP a client for multiple YEARS is more "successful" than a freelancer that does 20+ small gigs in a few months, bouncing around everywhere.  If somebody has been working "full time" with the same 1 or 2 clients for several years, that should not translate into a "negative" job success score: It actually means the freelancer was VERY successful if their client has kept them around so long.  I think part of the issue is that Upwork makes more money when you start a NEW contract and they get to take 20% off the top, but the longer you work for the same client, the less and less they take.  After you earn $10,000 with a client, Upwork only gets 5%  - so changing jobs often definitely makes Upwork "successful" from a profit standpoint, but it's questionable if frequent job changes makes a freelancer "successful", especially if they aren't getting many repeat clients

Hi Birgit,

I have shared your concern with the team, and one of our agents will reach out and assist you with your Job Success Score via a support ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Spoiler

I did already talk to them, they say everything is correct and since I have had a pause from working here some time, my stats will drop more due to the fact some faadbacks are too old to consider in JSS. I am just dissapointed because I have worked hard and long to build my profile here and had some very amazing clients, always enjoyed and recommended this place to everyone but lately I feel that the more they try to update the platform the worse it gets. In my opinion there could be some place where people could make suggestions and they could use it for making the platform better not only for the client, but also for the freelancer. 

8f3639e0
Community Member

Hi Joanne, 

kindly check my profile, I don't have a JSS...and I think i. should have one by now...is there something wrong?

Hi Justice,

I'm afraid that we can't specify when you will receive a JSS. Note that in order to get a score you must complete at least 4 or more different contracts with 2 or more different clients, within a 24-month period. 

More than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects, and nearly all freelancers have scores after completing 8 projects. You can check out this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Good day. I have completed total 5 projects from 4 different clients. But I have not got my job success score yet. Please, Review my account and let me know Am I eligible to get job success score or not?

Ulugbek R wrote:

Good day. I have completed total 5 projects from 4 different clients. But I have not got my job success score yet. Please, Review my account and let me know Am I eligible to get job success score or not?

What were those contracts worth? Did any of them end last or this week? (The JSS only updates every 2 weeks. It will update again next Sunday.)

Hi. Do you think These are worth nothing?

Ulugbek R wrote:

Hi. Do you think These are worth nothing?

You'll have to be more specific so we can help you. What are "these" that you are referring to?

This was for Ms. Petra. She replied to my questions like were your contracts worth something? I am referring "these" to my jobs I completed before.  

Ulugbek R wrote:

This was for Ms. Petra. She replied to my questions like were your contracts worth something? 

That wasn't actually what I asked.

The JSS is Dollar-weighed. Bigger contracts count more than smaller ones. People with small contracts need more completed contracts to get a Job Success Score than those with large contracts.

So someone with 7 contracts worth $5 may not have a JSS yet, but someone with 4 good-sized contracts would.

I misunderstood your answer at first. Sorry for it. Thanks you a lot. This answer is really helpful and clear.

Hi Ulugbek,

Not all projects and clients are equal, so the time it takes to get a Job Success Score varies. In order to get a Job Success Score, you need to complete:

• Projects with 2 (or more) different clients

We exclude clients whose freelancers report a history of unreasonable feedback so their scores won't count against you, but that may mean it takes longer to receive your initial score.

Feel free to check out this help article to learn more about JSS.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi. Thank you. that is really helpful.

I am new to Upwork. I have a few open (continuing contracts where the first payment has been received. Do I need to wait for them to start closing before I can get a Job Success Score?

Hello Ankur, 

To get your JSS you have to complete :

At least 4 different contracts within 24 months.

+

Finish projects for at least 2 different clients.

And YES the contracts should be closed to be counted.

You can also check this link to know everything related to JSS.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068358-Job-Success-Score

Best wishes,

Youssef

Thank you. That is helpful.

A follow-up question. For continuing contracts, is it OK to request client for closing it and opening another one so that the closed ones can count towards JSS?

Ankur M wrote:

For continuing contracts, is it OK to request client for closing it and opening another one so that the closed ones can count towards JSS?

After a few months, maybe, although personally I would never put my clients out like that.

Thank you Petra for sharing your views!

Hi Everyone,

I have one question. I have completed 3 fixed-price projects with 5-star reviews. But I am confused why my job success score is not showing on my profile. Could you please help me on this confusion? 

Thanks!

Umair

Hi Umair,

More than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects. Since not all projects and clients are equal, the length of time will vary. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. The projects need to be with at least three different clients and take place within a 24-month period. Check out this Help Article for more details on how JSS is calculated and when it`s awarded on your profile. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

My Job Success score is not available yet. I have completed 4 jobs with good feedback. Would anybody guide me when I shall have this status? My profile link is https://www.upwork.com/fl/abidhussain286

Hi Abid,

Thanks for your question. To clarify, in order to get a Job Success Score, freelancers need to complete:

More than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects, and nearly all freelancers have scored after completing eight projects. You can check this help article for more information.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths