cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When politics mess up with your income...

Community Leader
Jose Daniel M Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
1 of 11

First of all, I already did my share of research on the matter, but this is something I really need to know about. So, yesterday, Venezuela (the place I was born and currently live in) was declared under an embargo, which is not objetively an total embargo because the private sector and individuals were left off the grid.

The thing is, I am obviously not part of any public organism, so I expect not to be hit by these sanctions. However, it is important to be cautious and request a spoken statement regarding my status from Upwork's side of things, which is a section of what worries me, since misinformed clients may decline my services for being Venezuelan now.

This is a delicate situation, and while I am aware this is bringing up politics to the forum, I am focusing in the potential impact to my working opportunities and deliberately keeping my opinions of either Venezuela, the U.S. and any other country's political affairs out of this conversation. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 11

??

Are you asking Upwork to prevent people in Venezuela from using the platform?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 11

Preston H wrote:

??

Are you asking Upwork to prevent people in Venezuela from using the platform?

No, he obviously isn't.

Are you honestly not understanding what he's asking? Or just mocking someone in a pretty scary situation? That would be a new low point...

Community Guru
4 of 11

Petra:
i am not mocking him.

Upwork has placed no sanctions against Venezuela. I am wondering why the original poster is posting what he just posted.

Venezuela is a mess. We all know that.

My support for Venezuelans during this time has been public and consistent. You can do a search. I have Upwork freelancers I work with on projects who live there. My friends in Venezuela benefit from being able to work on an international platform at a time when their local economy is so terrible. They are certainly not asking Upwork to make a decision or public statement or change anything.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 11

Understood. So you did understand perfectly well what he was asking, pretended not to, and your post was simply a little slap in the face.

Community Guru
6 of 11

I would advise the original poster to delete his post. Or edit it.

Don't request Upwork do anything different, when what it does now is the best possible stance for people there.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 11

Jose Daniel M wrote:

However, it is important to be cautious and request a spoken statement regarding my status from Upwork's side of things, which is a section of what worries me, since misinformed clients may decline my services for being Venezuelan now.

There is not much that Upwork can do unfortunately. I just hope that the vast majority of US clients don't care and keep hiring you. I would optimistically bet on the general I don't care attitude since people tend to forget yesterday's news as fast as more news come in.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
8 of 11

Rene is right.

I live in the United States. I can assure the original poster that most people here have absolutely no idea what is happening in Venezuela. Because the original poster lives there, it is impossible for him to understand how little we hear about what's going on there. I learn more about Venezuela directly from Upwork colleagues than I learn through the news.

Across the world, I doubt that more than one tenth of one percent of potential clients would take into consideration anything in the news about Venezuela when making a decisoin about whether to hire a freelancer who lives there.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
9 of 11

I think that the OP will not have a problem but I would suggest that he follow the US Department of State website information regarding the status of the matter.

A quick  search came up with the following:

... blocking all property and interests in property of the Government of Venezuela that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the United States, or that are or hereafter come within possession or control of any United States person. 

So, it is an action against governmental properties in the US.  You appear to be fine.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 11

Rene K wrote:

There is not much that Upwork can do unfortunately. I just hope that the vast majority of US clients don't care and keep hiring you. I would optimistically bet on the general I don't care attitude since people tend to forget yesterday's news as fast as more news come in.

Sadly for the world, but good for OP--I strongly suspect that most U.S. clients are unaware that anything out of the ordinary is going on in/with Venezuela.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS