🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why is Withdrawal Restricted on My Account?
Page options
thompson_karen
Community Member

Why is Withdrawal Restricted on My Account?

I worked for a bona fide problem client in June.  Upwork later automatically deducted $200 from my balance to be paid - for money the client refused to pay.  Then several months later - Upwork put back the $200 in my account and said they had "won" against this client's bank and comped me as a bonus.  Last week, I was told (again) by Upwork support that they had "lost' against the bank and would be taking out the $200 again.

I just tried to withdraw my current week's pay - and am being restricted from doing so.  I am guessing it's the same issue.  Why can't Upwork simply have done so automatically once again, instead of this step?

How do I get this restriction on withdrawal removed and resolve this issue so I get paid for current work - 6 months after the issue?

Thanks,

KarenT

15 REPLIES 15
JoanneP

Hi Karen,

I checked your account, and it looks like you already have an open ticket regarding this concern. I'll follow-up with the team, and one of our agents will update you directly on your ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

When Joanne?  I'd like this resolved as it has been yo-yoing with upwork c/s since June.  They could have removed the $200 automatically last week from my pay (again).  I'd like to know what is going on with my pay not being accessible?  Thanks much

Hi Karen,

I'd like to confirm that I have already followed up with the team. Unfortunately, I can't provide you any specific timeframe, but your concern is now being reviewed. The team will update you directly on your ticket to assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks Joanne.  I am sure you understand, that regarding getting paid - it is disconcerting to not have any insight at this time from Upwork, nor a timeline, when I am on the platform  - to work, and get paid for work I did. If I treated a client like this, they would be rightly concerned for lack of transparency or communication.

At this point in time, it is kind of discouraging what is happening - as Tonya noted in a reply, of course customer service could have simply automatically deducted a chargeback (the second time since June 2020 they are doing so), and let me withdraw my pay.

But there is a more serious issue here - Upwork did not include a second job supposed to be paid out today - and completely ignored it. So I am misssing pay from the second job I worked for that is missing from my pay today.  I am very disappointed in how this has gone down, and been handled.  

Most important - is that I worked and want the pay due me for my work, in my pay today.

I am experiencing the same thing now. Yes, they should have just deducted the amount and doesn't hold the pay we got from other clients. 

Hi Rheina,

I checked your account, and I can see that our team reached out to you about this. Please check your ticket here for more information. I can see that you also have an open ticket regarding this issue. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Karen T wrote:

When Joanne?  I'd like this resolved as it has been yo-yoing with upwork c/s since June.  They could have removed the $200 automatically last week from my pay (again).  I'd like to know what is going on with my pay not being accessible?  Thanks much

You should probably assume that the client isn't going to pay and that $200 is not coming. Was it the client who paid the bonus or did Upwork offer you $200 to settle the matter? (Not sure what you mean by comp) 

petra_r
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

You should probably assume that the client isn't going to pay and that $200 is not coming. 

The issue isn't the $ 200 - it is that Upwork suspended all withdrawals - not just the $ 200 that have been subject to a chargeback for what appears to be the second time (who knew that was even possible?)

So the OP could have a balance of $ 1000, and Upwork wants $ 200 of that to cover the chargeback. Instead of just taking the $ 200 and leaving the OP with $ 800 to do as she pleases with (withdraw) - they lock down the whole account so no withdrawals are possible at all.

Thanks Petra.  I am on Upwork to work, and get paid for work done.  It's disconcerting to have over $1300 outstanding to be paid to me, and no word whatsoever, from Upwork as to status, reason or timeline - none of which I have a clue about. And no voice to address.  The radio silence is not best form.

Hi Petra,

Thanks for your input.  Yes since Upwork is essentially enabling employment contracts, it is not good form imo to not only restrict being paid, but go radio silent on reason why, estimated time to resolve or address this before it occurs, or immediately after. 

tlbp
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Tonya P wrote:

You should probably assume that the client isn't going to pay and that $200 is not coming. 

The issue isn't the $ 200 - it is that Upwork suspended all withdrawals - not just the $ 200 that have been subject to a chargeback for what appears to be the second time (who knew that was even possible?)

So the OP could have a balance of $ 1000, and Upwork wants $ 200 of that to cover the chargeback. Instead of just taking the $ 200 and leaving the OP with $ 800 to do as she pleases with (withdraw) - they lock down the whole account so no withdrawals are possible at all.

Wow. How did you manage to piece that together? (I believe you. I'm just in awe of your interpretive skills. Although, that is what you do. LOL) 

Yes-she is right:)  But rather than consistency in execution on Upwork's side - they independently and automatically withdrew and put back the $200 into my account, then out of left field, and when I had a hefty week (for me) of earnings - they restricted withdrawal, and did not automatically deduct the $200 again.  Go figure?

I have another worrying issue now however - they did not see the second job paid out on November 18, 2020, and did not pay me the entire earnings due me on this pay period, today:(.

Very unfortunate - and I've reached out repeatedly to have them add in my 2nd job earnings which are clearly marked on the transaction report.  So, I'm missing money owed, regardless of the $200 already being deducted now.

Upwork took the $200 off my pay from the contract in June, then out of the blue wrote me that they were "putting back" the $200 into my account as a "bonus" and "had won with the bank".

Then last week, wrote me yet again that they were taking out the $200 from my account a second time, 6 months after the fact.  So, since they did it automatically for the first 2 above transactions, I thought that they would do it once again ( taking out the $200 automatically) this second time.

Comp - means Compensation.

Hi. I have the same issue right now. Can you kindly help me? Badly need the funds. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members