🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Word to pdf
Page options
9de02364
Community Member

Word to pdf

Hello!

I just recently joined and I sent a proposal to a job stating **Edited for Community Guidelines** because I thought I should start off with something simple to gain traction.

However, after receiving a message from them, they requested that I sent them an email to **Edited for Community Guidelines** with my freelancer ID and country. I was a bit worried and checked the community on what to do. I found out that it was considered unsafe so I mentioned to the client that I would prefer to communicate over UpWork until the payment is secured, unless they have a specific reason not to communicate through UpWork. 

I was waiting for a response. However, the next day I found the messages gone and the proposal states 'This job has been removed from Upwork, so we are no longer able to retrieve your proposal.' I assumed it got taken down.

I just have 3 comments/ questions regarding this:

I sent in a proposal so should I be worried that they could capture my data (or anything important like my email address) from having access to my profile?

The job is still under my Active Proposals and I am not sure of how to get rid of it because the job was removed from UpWork.

Do I get my connects back? 

I think the one thing I've learnt is that I don't think I'll be applying to anyone whose payments aren't verified. This has given me the biggest spook in a while.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

If Upwork took the job down, then yes, you'll get your connects back. As for having access to your profile, I hope that you were smart enough not to give them your password? If you did, change it immediately. Otherwise, you don't need to worry; scammers want your money, not your profile.

Hamza G wrote:

I think the one thing I've learnt is that I don't think I'll be applying to anyone whose payments aren't verified. This has given me the biggest spook in a while.

Scammers can have verified payment methods as well. The main mistake that you made was agreeing to go outside the platform to communicate with a client, before you had a contract in place - that's actually a terms of service violation on your part. 

What would help you the most is to go through the Upwork Academy information and learn how to use this website before you send any more proposals - that will be your best insurance against getting scammed.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

If Upwork took the job down, then yes, you'll get your connects back. As for having access to your profile, I hope that you were smart enough not to give them your password? If you did, change it immediately. Otherwise, you don't need to worry; scammers want your money, not your profile.

Hamza G wrote:

Scammers can have verified payment methods as well. The main mistake that you made was agreeing to go outside the platform to communicate with a client, before you had a contract in place - that's actually a terms of service violation on your part. 

What would help you the most is to go through the Upwork Academy information and learn how to use this website before you send any more proposals - that will be your best insurance against getting scammed.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members