🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Working for free?
Page options
87578c36
Community Member

Working for free?

Hi All

I think I may have made a boo-boo. Someone posted a job asking for an edit on a letter she wrote and she also posted a copy of the letter with the request. I opened the letter and in a fit of editing rapture just went ahead and edited the thing and then opened a Proposal for the job and "mailed" it back to her with a note to the effect that I didnt want payment. Ummm...is that against Upwork policy? My problems is I've just startted out as an editor so I don't have any work samples or reviews, so I figured at least she might give me a good review or push some work my way in the future. But I have a nasty feeling now that this is not a kosher thing to do on Upwork. Advise me, good Upworkers!

Yours, Andrew

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
spectralua
Community Member

Possible that client will open some small contract for you and pay\leave feedback as bonus. But not must.

For future, don't submit any jobs before contract started. As option you can submit 1\3 of this letter in proposal as sample, then submit rest within contract.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Yep, beginner's mistake. If you are not hired, you can't get feedback. If you are hired and there is no payment, you can't get (public) feedback. 

Clients can get suspended for asking for free work. Your account will not be punished for providing free work, your punishment is not getting paid. 

spectralua
Community Member

Possible that client will open some small contract for you and pay\leave feedback as bonus. But not must.

For future, don't submit any jobs before contract started. As option you can submit 1\3 of this letter in proposal as sample, then submit rest within contract.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members