🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Your Proposal was declined
Page options
43e2607d
Community Member

Your Proposal was declined

Hi everyone,

I have submitted the proposal for the job. After Sometmes, today I have received the notification that your proposal was declined. Can anyone please tell me the real time meanining of the this notification.

Best regards

-Secreenshot of notification is attached

21 REPLIES 21
a485ff2e
Community Member

It means the client did not consider your proposal and declined it. 

Does it affect our scores or performance/quality of our profile in any way?

No reason a proposal being declined would affact the JSS. The JSS is independent of that,

"Certa bonum certamen"
mdbutnayem
Community Member

Hello Ahmad,

When you receive a notification on Upwork that your proposal was declined, it means that the client who posted the job decided not to hire you for the project. This can happen for a variety of reasons, such as the client finding another freelancer who better matches their needs, or deciding not to move forward with the project altogether.

While it can be disappointing to receive a declined proposal notification, it's important to remember that it's not a reflection of your skills or experience as a freelancer. There could be many reasons why a client chooses not to hire a particular freelancer, and it's not always within your control.

To improve your chances of getting hired on Upwork, you may want to consider the following:

1. Make sure your proposals are tailored to each job posting and highlight your relevant skills and experience.

2. Keep your profile up-to-date and make sure it accurately reflects your skills and experience.

3. Apply to jobs that are a good match for your skills and experience.

4. Consider taking Upwork skill tests to demonstrate your proficiency in your field.

5. Ask for feedback from clients who decline your proposals, so you can learn from the experience and improve your approach for future proposals.

Thank You
    Nayem

How can we ask clients "why they declined our proposal"?

Good question. I'd like to know that too. The reason is chosen but we do not see it.

When the proposal is declined, a mail sent to your registered email ID states the reason. You may not find the reason in the notification tab, but the email states the same. I have experienced this a few times though the last time was in October 2022, and have not experienced a proposal declined notification in the recent past.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I am also trying to know how to ask the client why he has rejected the proposal. Let me know if any one find the solution.

Clear explanation. Thank you so much. I just got two rejections last two days. After I read your answer, I feel better. The points you made are so kind and informative. Surely I will follow those points and improve myself. Thanks again a lot. 

43e2607d
Community Member

Thanks, Nayem for your expensive reply, 2 more things. When I clicked on the notification there had written: "Job is canceled" (file is attached). What does it mean?  And How can I get feedback from the client? Thanking you in anticipation

If you received a notification that says "Job is canceled," it means that the client has canceled the job posting. This could be for various reasons, such as they found another freelancer for the job or decided not to pursue the project anymore. Even from here, you can't take any feedback.

work-fu
Community Member

@moderators

I recently received an email about a decliened proposal, reason being the client was suspended.

My question is, are connects supposed to be returned to the bidders or are they gone?

7bd1d7f2
Community Member

Have you recieved an answer for this question?

Hi Cat,

Sometimes, a project may get canceled or a job may be removed from Upwork without a hire. In the following cases, these Connects will be returned:

• If a project is canceled by the client before a contract is made, Connects you used on that proposal will be returned. This does not apply to expired job posts
  • If we remove a project’s post because we believe it violates our Terms of Service, the Connects you used on that proposal will be returned

If you have applied for a job and it’s no longer available because of a violation or you used Connects on a job proposal that turns out to be fraud, we will return it. In these cases, Connects are credited back to your account for reuse — not for a refund of their cash value. You can find more information about Connects here

~ Joanne
Upwork
work-fu
Community Member

@JoanneP Thanks. As it happens I did not receive those connects back. And just half an hour ago I've applied to another job and now I've received an email again that the client was suspended. No connects back as of yet. Is there a delay for the connect return and if so, shouldn't this process be instantaneous?

Cat, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I checked and the job post from the client you are referring to has been recently taken down. The Connects that you used to apply have also been returned; you should be able to see this by visiting your Connects History page. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
work-fu
Community Member

Thanks Luiggi,
Yes, I can see now that they've been returned. I wish this was an instantaneous process, just like the payment when buying connects is, you know?
Also, about the other canceled job - I don't think I've received the connects for that. Can I email you the link or how are we going to do this?

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Cat,

Arjay here stepping in for Luiggi. Please be aware that we return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. 

Let us know if the job post you're referring to falls under these factors; we'll look further into that for you. You can also find more information by visiting this help article.

~ Arjay
Upwork
work-fu
Community Member

Hi,

I have not been returned the connects for the last canceled (by Upwork) job. Isn't this process automated? Do I have to contact someone every time this happens?

edit:

Apparently the job itself was not canceled, but the client suspended which is why I've received the automated email about "declined proposal".
My question is, why hasn't job been canceled as well? Here's a link to the job in question:
https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01a50963e721b91735/

ca32ac65
Community Member

When a client's project is suspended or closed for any reason, including being suspended from the platform, Upwork typically refunds the connects used to submit proposals for that specific project. Connects are the virtual tokens used to submit proposals on Upwork.

If you submitted a proposal for a project that was subsequently closed or suspended, Upwork should automatically refund the connects you used to apply for that project. These connects are then returned to your account for future use.

If you haven't seen the connects refunded after a reasonable amount of time, it's a good idea to reach out to Upwork's customer support for assistance. They can investigate the issue and ensure that you receive the appropriate refund for the declined proposal due to the client's suspension.

4612c28d
Community Member

Hi Ahmad, 

i also experienced something similiar  this week.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members