🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » business name change for invoices
Page options
vvkrishna_varma
Community Member

business name change for invoices

Hi,

I am looking for an option to change Business Name in my freelancer account for invoices.  Please note that my name should still show the same but only the invoice business name should show "**Edited for Community Guidelines**"

Can you please help me here to get this updated soon.  Again, it should just be my business name on invoices to change as "**Edited for Community Guidelines**"

Thank you!

20 REPLIES 20
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Vamshee,

Yes, you can update your name by going to Settings > Tax Information > Legal Name of Business. If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you. 

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi,

I recieved all my invoices on my name and my accountant asked me the invoices that i have already recieved to be on my company's name. Is it possible to resent the invoices on my company's name?

Hi Spyros

At the moment we don't have an option to change the name on your past invoices. Once you've updated the details under your Tax Information section, the new details will be listed only on your new invoices. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I want to change business name on past invoices for the current month.

Hi Pavel,

As Goran mentioned here, we do not have an option to change the name on your past invoices. Once you've updated the details under your Tax Information section, the new details will be listed only on your new invoices. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
c56423ee
Community Member

Hey Luiggi

My legal name is updated in my account. But on my invoices, the full legal name does not get generated.

Like I have entered the full legal name as 'xxxxxxyyy solutions pvt ltd'

But on my invoice only 'xxxxxxyyyy' gets printed. Please get this resolved.

Thanks

Puneet

Hi Puneet,

As shared in the previous post on this thread, there isn't an option to change the name of your past invoices. As you updated your name, it will reflect on your future invoices.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hey Aleksandar

The legal name in my account has been correct from the start of my account. Still, it doesn't reflect the correct name on my invoices

I hope you are able to understand the problem.

Thanks

Puneet

Hi Puneet,

Thanks for the explanation. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via this support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar.

I have the same issue. We just created an Agency and went and bought the Agency Plan.

In the Legal name I have set properly "the VAT ID and the Company Name" before we did the purchase. That is not what I see on my invoice. The VAT ID is there while the legal company name doesn't exist at all on the invoice.

Would be awesome if someone can help us with this.

Hi Marija,

You can include your company name in your settings (under "Tax Information"), and use your company’s tax ID. Once you've updated the details under your Tax Information section, the new details will be listed on your invoices. However, I have checked your most recent invoices under your agency profile and it looks like the company name and your name are included. Let me know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
96baa129
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

Thanks for your reply. We did updated our records before purchasing.
On our invoice we do not see our "Legal Name" instead we do see our "Agency Name from Upwork".
So not sure why is like that.

I would expect to see our legal name on the invoice from the "Tax Information". The VAT Number is fine,  would be better if you would allow for Slovenia to add "SIxxxxxxx" (SI letters infront).

Example:

96baa129_0-1664462321898.png

Hi Goran,

My invoices currently say:

Attn: Paul

Business Name: Paul

In the path you mentioned, I can only go to Settings > Tax Information. There is no "> Legal Name of Business". The only two items on the Tax Information page are "Tax Residence" and "W-9". Inside W-9 there's "Legal Name of Taxpayer" (which is my name). Is there no way to have my single-member LLC listed on the invoice?

Thanks,

paul

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Paul, 

This response from Goran is from 2019. 

To help you with your concern, while your profile itself needs to be in your name, you can include your company name in your settings (under "Tax Information"), and use your company’s tax ID, as well.  If your "business name" is different from your personal name in your account information, then your business name also appears on your invoices to your clients.  

Note that we're not able to provide legal or tax advice, so I would recommend speaking with a local tax advisor about what is required to operate a business on Upwork from your location.

~ Avery
Upwork
103abf08
Community Member

Thanks, Avery. I didn't notice that it was from so long ago. In my Tax Information section, the only info is for my W-9. I do business under my business name and accept checks made out to my business name. But, as a single-member (pass-through) LLC I include my business income on my personal Tax Return. And, per the IRS, I have to use my SSN and not my EIN.

It's an odd situation because invoices should include my business name even though my taxes are filed under my name. On a paper W-9 form from the IRS, there are slots for both personal name and business name. There's no field for a business name in this form so I don't know what to do. I can't be the only freelancer on Upwork who needs this.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Paul, 

In the "Legal Name" field, you can add your business name if you are filing as a company entity. Please contact your local accountant or tax advisor if you have questions about your filing status or TIN as we cannot give tax advice. 

~ Avery
Upwork
103abf08
Community Member

I forgot to attach the screenshot.

Upwork.pngW-9.png

rubslopes
Community Member

I am having the same problem as Paul: there's no "Legal Name of Business". Can someone assist me to include my business name in my invoices?

Thank you,

Hi. I am also looking for a certificate of earnings for the whole of 2022. Could you assist me?

Hi Rubens,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. I can see that you've reached out to our support team and raised a ticket with the same concern. Please allow our team 24-48 hours to further review these cases and you will be getting an update on this page once done. Don't hesitate to coordinate with the team through that ticket to assist you with both of your concerns and they will surely take action accordingly. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members