🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » client not responding or releasing payment
Page options
nelmaff
Community Member

client not responding or releasing payment

Hello!

A new client hired me to write a "how to care" article for her pollinator seed kits. Before I started work, I asked her a number of questions to clarify the project. She got frustrated with the questions and asked for a simpler project delineation to avoid confusion. She also asked if I wanted to modify the amount of payment. I said yes to all of her requests. 

I submitted the finished article two days earlier than the due date, asked her if it was OK, and apologized for the number of questions. I also decreased the price of the work since it was simpler than originally described. 

She has been completely unresponsive. One week after submission I asked her if she had a chance to look at the work -- no response. 

I know after 14 days, I will be paid. Will it be the amount in escrow or will it be the reduced amount that I asked for?

Thank you!!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nancy L M wrote:

Thank you, Martina! Yes, I certainly hope I never hear from her again. I'm astonished that she was annoyed with my questions. Maybe I asked too many? I don't know, but I always like to be crystal clear about the projects so that I can deliver top-notch work that's just what they're looking for. I've never had any complaints before.

One other question. I will be paid after 14 days, but will she or I get a chance to write a review if she still is unresponsive and doesn't close the contract?

Yes, the party ending the contract always has to leave feedback, and the second party can do so afterwards, but doesn't have to. A client so disinterested is not going to leave feedback after you end the contract. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Nancy L M wrote:

Hello!

A new client hired me to write a "how to care" article for her pollinator seed kits. Before I started work, I asked her a number of questions to clarify the project. She got frustrated with the questions and asked for a simpler project delineation to avoid confusion. She also asked if I wanted to modify the amount of payment. I said yes to all of her requests. 

I submitted the finished article two days earlier than the due date, asked her if it was OK, and apologized for the number of questions. I also decreased the price of the work since it was simpler than originally described. 

She has been completely unresponsive. One week after submission I asked her if she had a chance to look at the work -- no response. 

I know after 14 days, I will be paid. Will it be the amount in escrow or will it be the reduced amount that I asked for?

Thank you!!

You will receive the amount you requested, the remainder will stay in escrow. 

I don't see any reason why you decreased your payment, though. Most clients are happy to answer questions, since they are invested in their project and like to talk about it anyway. They love it when the freelancers asks! A client that doesn't is not somebody to work with. You care more about the task than the client, and that's not right. 

If I were you, I'd hope to never hear from them again. 

Thank you, Martina! Yes, I certainly hope I never hear from her again. I'm astonished that she was annoyed with my questions. Maybe I asked too many? I don't know, but I always like to be crystal clear about the projects so that I can deliver top-notch work that's just what they're looking for. I've never had any complaints before.

One other question. I will be paid after 14 days, but will she or I get a chance to write a review if she still is unresponsive and doesn't close the contract?

Nancy L M wrote:

Yes, the party ending the contract always has to leave feedback, and the second party can do so afterwards, but doesn't have to. A client so disinterested is not going to leave feedback after you end the contract. 

Thank you!!

Nancy L M wrote:

The client only has to leave feedback if she is the one who closes the contract. Otherwise, it's optional. BTW, don't close the contract until your payment has come through.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members