🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » copyrighted characters in portfolio work? and...
Page options
3fa0e5c3
Community Member

copyrighted characters in portfolio work? and is it allowed to show instagram name in portfolio work

Hello,

I am setting up my portfolio with some work I have done, but I am wondering 2 things:

1. I made some artwork (not for payment, just for fun) but it includes some copyrighted characters. Am I allowed to put this artwork into my portfolio? Because of those characters being copyrighted. So far I did not add those to be safe.

2. One of the artwork that I was considering to add to my portfolio has my Instagram name on it, as I posted it there. Am I still allowed to include this artwork in my portfolio, as it has my Instagram name on it, and I read it is not allowed to exchange that information before a contract is started. If not, I will try to find an early version without the signature.

Thank you for reading and for any advice.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
celgins
Community Member

Jewlianne,

Here is my view--partly based on opinion, but mostly based on experience:

1. If your artwork includes any copyrighted material, I would not include it in your portfolio. While original works are copyrighted, your artwork includes someone else's copyrighted material. Even if you credited the source of those copyrighted characters, it is still considered infringement. Properly citing the work you are copying does not avoid liability for infringement.

Fair Use is probably not relevant because it appears you are using the copyrighted material for self-promotion or for business marketing. Copyright and Fair Use laws can get complicated, so it is best to simply avoid using copyrighted material for such artwork.

2. I would probably avoid including my Instagram name on my artwork. If your Instagram account has no contact information for potential clients to see, it might be okay--especially if your Instagram account uses a portfolio to display your artwork. However, if your artwork stands alone and does not require your IG name to be displayed, I would simply remove it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
celgins
Community Member

Jewlianne,

Here is my view--partly based on opinion, but mostly based on experience:

1. If your artwork includes any copyrighted material, I would not include it in your portfolio. While original works are copyrighted, your artwork includes someone else's copyrighted material. Even if you credited the source of those copyrighted characters, it is still considered infringement. Properly citing the work you are copying does not avoid liability for infringement.

Fair Use is probably not relevant because it appears you are using the copyrighted material for self-promotion or for business marketing. Copyright and Fair Use laws can get complicated, so it is best to simply avoid using copyrighted material for such artwork.

2. I would probably avoid including my Instagram name on my artwork. If your Instagram account has no contact information for potential clients to see, it might be okay--especially if your Instagram account uses a portfolio to display your artwork. However, if your artwork stands alone and does not require your IG name to be displayed, I would simply remove it.

3fa0e5c3
Community Member

Thank you so much for the advice ! 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members