🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » new client issue
Page options
cd4ffabe
Community Member

new client issue

Hello! Hope everyone is well. A few days ago I applied for an offer, and the client sent me a message to talk about it. Among the things we talked about, he told me that he was going to hire me, but that he still couldn't accept the proposal because "Upwork is currently reviewing his account and it will take 24-48h to complete, so he can't hire yet".  He also asked me to join his slack to chat, to which I replied I would prefer to only communicate through Upwork since it's one of the rules for pre-contract discussions. 

A few days passed and he still waiting for Upwork to review his account. Is this true? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

No, it is not true. Well, it's possible but highly unlikely. If and when he gets his alleged account issue sorted and is ready to hire you, that has to be done through Upwork. So what's the point of using Slack to communicate in the meantime? The point is to get you off the platform where he can pursue whatever scam he has in mind.

If he's genuine, he'll message you when he gets is account problem sorted but don't hold your breath.

You made a good call to stay on the platform. Know that it takes time to get started here, it's a long game. Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

No, it is not true. Well, it's possible but highly unlikely. If and when he gets his alleged account issue sorted and is ready to hire you, that has to be done through Upwork. So what's the point of using Slack to communicate in the meantime? The point is to get you off the platform where he can pursue whatever scam he has in mind.

If he's genuine, he'll message you when he gets is account problem sorted but don't hold your breath.

You made a good call to stay on the platform. Know that it takes time to get started here, it's a long game. Good luck!

ericaandrews
Community Member

No - that is probably not 'true' and definitely not normal:  It either means he has no intention of setting up an Upwork payment method and is trying to  lure you off Upwork to either run a scam or hire you "under the table" off Upwork.  Or, it means Upwork isn't approving his account because something looks "sketchy".  A payment method can be setup in under a day, 2 days top, but it shouldn't take "several days" unless something's wrong on the client's end.  Sounds like a scammer or somebody just 'poaching' freelancers from Upwork to hire outside the plateform. Either way, I wouldn't waste too many more minutes on that guy.

Hiii! I appreciated your reply.

I'm a newbie so I didn't know about the time to set up a payment method.

Thanks.

c63ea194
Community Member

You can also check the number of interviews that the client did for this job in the job post details. If this number is large, then you would better stay away from this client, it 's possibly a scam

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members