🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » overtime on a monday??
Page options
ticosalazar
Community Member

overtime on a monday??

Hi can anybody please help me out 'cause I'm not sure why my first hour on a Monday is being considered as an overtime in my upwork diary. When I also started tracking my time, it still had the number of hours I worked for in the previous week... Is it a bug or has the time tracker not refreshed?

3 REPLIES 3
m_sharman
Community Member

Tesa Nicola S wrote:

Hi can anybody please help me out 'cause I'm not sure why my first hour on a Monday is being considered as an overtime in my upwork diary. When I also started tracking my time, it still had the number of hours I worked for in the previous week... Is it a bug or has the time tracker not refreshed?

How are you defining "overtime?" Depending where you are, the work diary resets Monday  morning, UTC. For me, I live in California, that's 5pm on Sunday. So any work I do on Sunday evening is already in the new week.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tesa, 

The Upwork Work Week starts on Monday (UTC) of every week, and ends on Sunday (UTC). Since you are based in the Philippines, your work week ends on Monday, 8AM in your local time zone. As such, any hours logged between Monday 12MN-8AM in your time zone is still part of last week's work week.The Upwork website and Desktop App follows the UTC timezone, and this is the reason why the hours you logged were showing as overtime.

I would like to note that any hours logged that is over the weekly limit of your contract is not automatically billed to your client. You may read more about how you can get paid for hourly contracts here. For overtime hours, your client will need to issue a bonus payment to you. Please take note that overtime hours, and bonus payments are not covered under the Upwork Hourly Protection

~ Avery
Upwork
tsawicki
Community Member

If you look at your work diary, there should be an option to change the time zone from your local time zone to 'UTC'.

Looking at it that way, you should see the overtime hours line up correctly.  That's how overtime is officially determined - by the UTC work week.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members