🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » perpetual scammy job invitations
Page options
jojomo
Community Member

perpetual scammy job invitations

For the past 3-4 days, I've been getting literally bombarded with the same job invitation (different client name and location but same job description) that are obviously a scam or that do not meet UpWork TOS because seconds/minutes after being posted they get taken down. These client invites are getting to be EXTREMELY annoying and even bordering on harassment at this point because sometimes I'm getting 2-3 of the same scammy invite every hour. Is there nothing Upwork can do about this??? I'm using connects to get LEGIT invites so I do not wish to turn off my notifications, yet I am ending up with constant scammy invitations? I have literally gotten at least 30+ of the same invitation over the past few days and that's unacceptable.

Why aren't new clients being profiled better? If freelancers are required to spend their hard-earned connects on getting legitimate invitations every week, I don't think it's fair for us freelancers to have to deal with potentially scammy clients...  Clients should have to go through a series of steps to confirm their identity as well and their method of payment before being able to send invitations to freelancers. I expect to get quality job invitations if I am to pay for them. It takes time and effort out of our busy schedule for us to draft a tailored proposal every time we get a job invite but at this point I'm wondering why even bother?

46 REPLIES 46
lizablau
Community Member

"Maybe you have the time to deal with countless same scammy job invitations (10+ a day) but please don't speak for everyone as if they're all sitting on their behinds waiting to get invited."

Except YOU'RE speaking for everyone by assuming Renata and other freelancers are getting massive amounts of scammy invites like you are.

I've been living strictly off invites for the past 5-6 years, and just received my first scam invitation 2 days ago.  Yes, my first out of literally hundreds. 

So, putting clients through the wringer before they're allowed to send an invite is a dumb and self-defeating idea.  

Plus, it won't deter scammers. 

That's just common sense. 

renata101
Community Member

Joelle,

I'm sorry if I've offended you.

Joëlle O wrote:

Renata,

And regarding the idea that it would scare clients away... that doesn't even make sense to me.

For the record, I didn't say this. I did say that I didn't enjoy the process when I had to go through it.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Joëlle O wrote:

For the past 3-4 days, I've been getting literally bombarded with the same job invitation (different client name and location but same job description) that are obviously a scam or that do not meet UpWork TOS because seconds/minutes after being posted they get taken down. These client invites are getting to be EXTREMELY annoying and even bordering on harassment at this point because sometimes I'm getting 2-3 of the same scammy invite every hour. Is there nothing Upwork can do about this??? I'm using connects to get LEGIT invites so I do not wish to turn off my notifications, yet I am ending up with constant scammy invitations? I have literally gotten at least 30+ of the same invitation over the past few days and that's unacceptable.

Why aren't new clients being profiled better? If freelancers are required to spend their hard-earned connects on getting legitimate invitations every week, I don't think it's fair for us freelancers to have to deal with potentially scammy clients...  Clients should have to go through a series of steps to confirm their identity as well and their method of payment before being able to send invitations to freelancers. I expect to get quality job invitations if I am to pay for them. It takes time and effort out of our busy schedule for us to draft a tailored proposal every time we get a job invite but at this point I'm wondering why even bother?

I don't understand what you mean by this. One thing is the proposals you make for which you use connects, and another is the invitations you receive. These are sent by customers without your intervention 🤔

a_lipsey
Community Member

Joëlle O wrote:

Responding to invites does not cost you any connects, so your objection being on the price of responding is moot. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Joëlle and others, 

I understand the frustration around this topic and I'd like to assure you that our Trust & Safety team is aware of this feedback and is taking it seriously. They are working to not only address the specific reported jobs and accounts but also to detect and prevent fraudulent activity in the future. If you'd like to learn more about Upwork's Trust & Safety team's efforts around keeping Upwork platform safe, I encourage you to check our this announcement. 
Caitlyn, who leads our Trust & Safety Operations team, has also responded to a similar discussion about the possibility of ID verification process for all clients here. I'd like to add that email verification is required for all accounts at registration and ID verification may be requested in some situation regardless of the account type. 

We understand that this is an important topic, we also understand that members may have different opinions on what may need to be changed or improved. However, I'd like to remind you to  be mindful of the Community Guidelines and respectful toward other users when posting even when voicing dissent or criticism. Otherwise, we may have to close this thread.  Thank you!
~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

I think it would be more appropriate all the way around if Joelle (and everyone else who's got complaints about how the scam spam is affecting their experience on the platfrom) could communicate her problems to Upwork directly in person. If there's a way to make that happen for her, please set it up. Freelancers do pay for the services they use here through the fees they're charged, so it only makes sense that they should have more satisfying avenues to vent their frustration about issues such as this.

kc001
Community Member

so only freelancers are checked and the clients arnt? thats crazy we have to supply id documents Linkedin profiles 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members