🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » "**Edited**" scam
Page options
jeremy_zimmerman
Community Member

"**Edited**" scam

This site attracts malevolent criminals that prey on our desire to secure work to lure us into scams. I just about fell into one a few days ago which started when I responded to a job posting "**Edited for Community Guidelines**." Poor grammar and awkward statements activated my suspicion but I need the work ... so I proceeded and submitted a proposal. I received a response a few moments later that ensured I their estimation of my qualification and then asked me to provide my full name (??), email address, phone number and Skype link. I provide all but declined to include my phone number. I realize UpWork warns us not to take conversations off platform but, in a moment of weakness, I logged into Skype and received a message. At this point, my brain took control and I understood these bastards were trying to pry as much personal information as they could. I blocked them, flagged the post and then flagged another just like it a day or so later. The morale to the story is 1) if it seems to good to be true, it likely is and 2) if they offer you candy, want your help finding a puppy or want to connect off platform, RUN ... and then flag the post.

0 REPLIES 0
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members