🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: scam or not when client give a bonus abo...
Page options
seokjanmin
Community Member

scam or not when client give a bonus about 1k$, and request to send 700$ into local bank????

Hi all Vietnamese Freelancers and all,

I am having a case and hope Vietnamese freelancers can read this and careful with some clients Who is hired us and give a bonus about 1k$, then, he request to send 700$(in Vietnamdong to someone with local bank). That can be a scam ? Can Client get the bonus back in (5 days) because the local bank will be transfered right away, and unluckily, we could not get it back incase client get the bonus back.

Please comment. 

Hope it can solve some issue with freelancer. 

Thank all in advance.

ThanhTruong

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, a bonus could be funded by a fraudulent payment method/credit card. Upwork offers no payment protection on bonus payments.

Once the real owner of the card discovers the payment they'll contest it with their card-issuing bank, which will reverse the payment to Upwork. And Upwork will then reverse the payment it made to you, leaving you with nothing.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
spectralua
Community Member

It is scam. Report and move forward.

thank you  🙂

wlyonsatl
Community Member

There is no legitimate case in dealing with Upwork clients that you should send them money other than across the Upwork platform.

And, yes, that arrangement you describe is clearly a scam - the "client" will get $700 from you and you will soon after get a message from Upwork that the "client's" payment to you was fraudulent.

Yeah, luckily,  i did not send any payment outside the Upwork. thank you 🙂

the-right-writer
Community Member

Yes, as others have said, it is a scam. Please read this post from Wes. It explains the scams on Upwork, and how to avoid them. You have to protect yourself, because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you.

thank you for good advice.

fe1f2ef4
Community Member

Yes,

It is likely a scam and maybe a violation of Upwork TOS

f3f7a643
Community Member

Hi. Is it possible for client to get back bonus?

No, unless you directly send it to them which is not acceptable on Upwork.

Most of this scams may seem real or emotional but please don't fall for it

Yes, a bonus could be funded by a fraudulent payment method/credit card. Upwork offers no payment protection on bonus payments.

Once the real owner of the card discovers the payment they'll contest it with their card-issuing bank, which will reverse the payment to Upwork. And Upwork will then reverse the payment it made to you, leaving you with nothing.

yes, that is very good information, and can help more people then. thank you Sir.

40c5ae3d
Community Member

Same, not sure why they can do it on Upwork. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

2.jpeg

they can use some hacked CC to fund into Uw, then, use Uw to get the payment out. when they got the local payment, Uw detected that is invalid CC, Uw lock their account and then we lost the money on that way.

joansands
Community Member

Why would someone give you a bonus and then ask for some of it back? It is not hard to figure that out.

Yeah, there are some reasons: they cant send local payment ! the creceiver need the money right away, there are noway to send direct to other person. etc.

🙂

Common sense is different among people, cultures, and locations. Some scams that are obvious to you might not be known to me because that particular scam might simply cannot work in my location.

On the other hand, some scams that I know might not be known to other people even in my field. Another one scammed thousands of dollars about a month ago here, even though they didn't break any rules (the wallet-passphrase-stealing by social-engineering the victim to run an app).

It has been discussed that humans should find solutions to problems (the recurring scams - there are many), instead of sticking to something that haven't worked and blaming the victim. But, Upwork, not being human, has other priorities.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members