🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: what should I do if the client did not en...
Page options
JIAN L Community Member

what should I do if the client did not end the contract?

what should I do if the client did not end the contract?

Recently I finished one fixed price project. The client has already approved it. But somehow he did not close the contract.
I sent one message to him to remind him to close it. But he did not reply. It has been around one week since I sent him the message.
Here I got some questions regarding to this issue:
1. I can send another message to remind him, but if he still did not reply, how could I do? should I leave it there or I close it?
2. If I close the contract after client approved it&I got the fund, how will it affect me(I heard it will affect JSS, but I did not have JSS yet)?
3. I found some of my clients are also new on upwork, somehow they do not know they should end the contract after they approved the project.
What is the good way to communicate to the client beforehand to avoid this issue(the client did not close the contract)?
Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Avery O Community Manager

Hi Jian, 

A lot of freelancers in the Community would recommend that you send one gentle reminder to the client to close the contract. If you don't hear back after one or two weeks, you may want to close the contract yourself. As noted in this help article - "...Contracts with a history of earnings but no feedback, whether closed or not, are mostly excluded from your JSS. However, if you have many contracts where no feedback has been given, it can impact your score (a little) negatively because it indicates some of your clients were dissatisfied."

~ Avery

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi G M,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Could you please provide the contract ID number so we can check?

~ AJ
Upwork
G M Mehraj Z Community Member

Hello AJ

The Contract ID is 30835815

Hi G M,

Thank you for providing the contract ID number. It seems like the contract is still active. If no further work is required, you can end the contract by going to the contract room, clicking on the menu icon (...) then selecting "End Contract" on the drop-down list. 

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thanks AJ for your reply. 

I have been planning to do the same as you have mentioned, but I my only concern is if I am going to lose the review my client left for me. And at this moment I can not ask the client once again for this feedback. 

Please suggest if its okay to end the contract on my end without any loss.

Hi G M,

There is currently no feedback on the contract. Once you end the contract, the client has fourteen days to leave one. You can learn more about this here

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello AJ

I'd request you to take a look at the screenshots please, so you will understand. 
Also if possible please take a look at the case id once again. 

The client has left a feedback and its showing everywhere. But the job is still in progress. 

Problem solved here

Syed H Community Member

Hi Annie, I am in a similar solution and tried to follow the steps you wrote to end the contract myself. However, I can't see the option to end the contract in the drop-down. The only options I'm seeing are 'Propose New Contract' and 'Propose New Milestones'. The Contact ID is 32415204. 

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Syed,

Here's the step-by-step guide to ending the contract: 

• Click the title of the contract you would like to end from your all contracts page.
  • Then click the option (...) menu on the top right of the selected contract page.
  • Hit the 'End contract' from the drop-down to end the contract. 
  • Select 'End contract' on the pop-up window.
  • Leave feedback for the client and click the 'End contract' button.

Hope the above steps help. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Christopher D Community Member

Hi Avery,

I'm experiencing the same thing but in my case the lack of feedback seems to have impacted my score; I ended the contract myself several months ago after not hearing back from the client. I previously had 100% but now I'm told my score is too low to submit proposals for certain jobs. I've contacted the client and haven't received an answer yet. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your message. We update the score that you see on your profile on a biweekly basis. You may also see your Job Success score change due to the rolling time window over which the score is calculated. Because your score is calculated over multiple time frames and the best score from your 6-month, 12-month, and 24-month JSS displayed, a contract can sometimes slip out of that calculation, causing your score to change significantly without any recent activity. For example, a contract will no longer be counted in your 6-month window once it is 6-months and one day old.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Christopher D Community Member

Thank you, Pradeep.

Natalia V Community Member

I think is insulting having to ask to close the contract, to get paid after you deliver the job. If you received the job well done, then close the contract, it's just a few clicks. Don't play with peoples time and money, is disrespectful. 

Abiodun O Community Member

What will happen to a funds in milestone 1 if a client did not approve my delivered work yet and I end the contract? Now it's over 18th days now that I can't access my funds

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Abiodun,

Thank you for your message. When you end a contract with funds in escrow, it will be automatically released back to the client if you end the contract. You can refer to this help page for more information.

- Pradeep

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members