🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » A Scam
Page options
nate_b92
Community Member

A Scam

Hello,

I am new to Upwork. Today, I received an interview request from a client who wanted me to go to skype to do the interview. I am fairly certain from reading the forum that this goes against the terms and services of Upwork. I cannot figure out how to contact someone at Upwork to let them know about the scam. 

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Today, I received an interview request from a client who wanted me to go to Skype to do the interview."

That is not allowed. All communication with a prospective client must be done on the Upwork platform. Upwork's Messages tool has built-in chat, audio call, video call and Zoom. So there is no need to use Skype.

re: "I am fairly certain from reading the forum that this goes against the terms and services of Upwork."

That is correct.

re: "I cannot figure out how to contact someone at Upwork to let them know about the scam."

I don't know that this is a scam.

It PROBABLY is a scam.

But it is theoretically possible that it is simply a sincere client who doesn't know the rules.

You have options:

- Do nothing

- Report the client immediately

- Do NOT report immediately; offer the client the opportunity to do the right thing by communicating on Upwork; if he doesn't do so, THEN report him

How do you report this (if you decide to report):

Go to the job posting page. Click on "Flag as inappropriate" in the top right corner, or under the "Three Dots" icon. Select option: "It's something else". Then in the freeform text area, type in the fact that the client invited you to interview via Skype.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths