🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Ask me anything about Upwork
Page options
muddasar-raja
Community Member

Ask me anything about Upwork

Hi everyone!

I am creating this post to welcome all new as well as existing freelancers here on Upwork. Those who are new here I welcome you all! Please feel free to ask me as many questions and concerns you have related to upwork and I will answer them.

Looking forward to collaborate here with talent.

Best Regards

Muddasar

159 REPLIES 159
58868a05
Community Member

Can I get to chat with you privately ? If you wouldn't mind. 

Hi!

Yes sure you can

27dde704
Community Member

Hi there Muddasar, 

Thank you so much for offering your time and help for newbies! 

I'm having trouble with making my portfolio uploads look nice. I am happy with the documents I've uploaded, but the thumbnails are very unattractive images of words from my description. Do you know if it's possible to add a thumbnail to make my uploads look a bit neater? I can't seem to find any help on this anywhere else! 

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, 

Ursula 

Hi Ursula!

Hope you are doing fantastic! I understand your concern. You can put your words into powerpoint presentation or you can use a good presentation template and then you can save it as PDF or images, which you can upload to your upwork profile...

Hope this helps, but if you still need help feel free to ask me 🙂

d4200700
Community Member

Hi Muddasar, 

Is there a way to narrow searches to my city?

Hi Eduardo!

Hope you are doing well! Unfortunately there is no such feature like this, or I never came across one like this to narrow down the search to your city on Upwork..

63107b0b
Community Member

Hello Sir,

This is Amropali Chakraborty from India. On 21st June I got a work of retyping 100 pages and my client offered me to pay $2600 after my deadline. Today I submitted my project and they are now asking me to pay a linking fee of $50. I am a needy student, I really work for money. I have really worked hard for completing the project. What should I do?

Amropali Chakraborty 

Report his and never violate ToS again. 

Hello Mr,

Amrupali Chakraborty asks you if your client is asking you for money
saying it is refundable bank fee we can't deduct from your fixed salary
then you don't have to deposit any money to get your money. Rather, Upwork
automatically deducts all fees from your salary. You share all your
details. You don't owe $50. Whether you get $2600 or not is a different
matter. You don't pay any extra money, not at all. Thanks

Please report immediately to upwork, its a scam. never do such things or accept any kind of payment outside upwork and never do work for for free, whenever clients are askin you to do work, as them to start contract so that in the end they are bound to pay and Upwork provides payment protection in this way..

You should read terms as well. Never ever do work for free at any point

Sorry about that, Amropali. This is one of the scams you can run into if you don't follow Upwork rules. Never contact a new client outside of Upwork, never start working without a contract inside of Upwork.

8a074783
Community Member

I tried to connect with an agency but couldn’t get any help. I posted in the agency forum but no one responded. I am an architect and want to join a potential architectural agency. Could you help me?

Hi Kiran!
Your profile looks impressive! you might need to improve your proposals while you bidding and also try to change title of your profile it will help you alot, if you don't understand please feel free to add me to your network and I will guide you. Thanks

fca779a3
Community Member

Hello, for several months now I have been unable to take my first job here, although there are no more connections, what should I do to start working stability.

Hello!
Hope you are doing great! I would like to suggest that please complete a profile, as your profile is related to development so I highly recommend you to please make an intro vide of yourself explaining skills and all other steps involve in development and also mention your experience, please also write a good description of your profile and if you have some portfolio and experience also update it in your profile

ed919dcc
Community Member

I want to do thz work but I hav no idea about thz so tell me how to start work I done all steps but now I m confused

Hi Hina!
I have visisted your profile and looks like its no complete, description is very short and there is no portfolio or any other specialized profile, you need to do alot of working on this..

79a8e893
Community Member

Hi Mudassar Sir, 

I'm facing payment issue and plz suggest me that can I use Nayapay visa debit card to buy connects. Plz suggest me and help me to get out of this problem.

Thank You

Hi Faiza!
How are you? I would suggest you to please use a Bank's debit or credit card instead of using 3rd party payment system, which upwork might not approve...

5edf28a0
Community Member

i have a problem in (edit profile visibility) i not showing only on private please help me,

Hi Mouzzam,

Your profile visibility has been reset. You can check this help article to learn why it can be switched to private.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ec933fd9
Community Member

Hi, thank You 🙂
Can you give me  your feedback to improve my profile .
Thanks.
https://www.upwork.com/fl/~014b73ab878e442dc5

Hi Khaydarali,

Please modify the Summary into four paragraphs; more Summary content is needed. Click the Academy link on the top of this page for Upwork success tips. Thanks!

hamna77
Community Member

Should the client send the contract before I begin working for them? Recently, I completed a job for a client who instructed me to complete certain tasks before they would send the contract. However, despite finishing the tasks, the client has not sent the contract yet. As I am new to Upwork, I do not have much knowledge about how contracts and payments work. However, I have read a few help center articles to educate myself.

Hi Hamna,

You should never start working on a project before a contract is in place, even if a client asks you to. If you see any suspicious behavior from a client, please report them using the tools described in this article so that our team can investigate and take action according to our processes. Check out our guide here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork.

Additionally, I can see you don't have an appropriate profile photo. Please know that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. Please check this article for more information on updating your profile photo.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
luce-neidert
Community Member

Muddasar, it's really kind of you to propose to answer questions about Upwork.

My question is: "Why does Upwork attract so many weird people". Thank you for your answer.

scorio5
Community Member

Hello Muddasar E 

I have a Quick question , 
currently I have 3 active contracts " in progress " however , when I check the profile public view , I can see only " 2 " under Total Jobs tab , the third contract doesnt appear at all .

Am I missing something ? or it's a glitch ? 

Sorry for late response Mostafa, I would say its a glitch. Happened to me as well, some of my contracts that were ended were showing up in progress as well. Upwork is continuously trying to make paltfrom experience better to things like this happends. You can try clearing browser cache and check again if it works for you. I hope this helps!

99d9da77
Community Member

HI,
When i send proposal on Projects there are lot of people send proposals and biding goes very high upto 50 60 connects i am just starting my career on upwork and have a limited budget for connects Please give a solution how can i survive in this competitve scenario where connects are also very expensive.

Focus on bidding early... rather than boosting. 

Think like an uber driver... if you are there ready to pick up passengers before anyone else... you can get the job. 
The challenge is that you will need to create a refined "saved search" and check it every hour to see the exact moment when your ideal client needs something. 

Getting in first usually has nothing to do with being hired. Too many boost, without having the minimum skills, believing being "on top" will get them something. Clients don't even have to look at the boosted one.

2456a9a3
Community Member

Why it is so hard to rank your bids and get them converted, A project which posted 5 seconds ago has 5 bids immediately what kind of hack is this? I don't think they have read the job descriptions and eventually, those are getting hired. Can you spotlight this.? Thanks

Thanks Rahul for your reply.
Yeah you raised a very good point Obviously it takes about 5 to 19 min to read and understand the proposal and client's requirement but some times it bothers i found 50 proposals on a single project in just 10 min. 
This thing bothers me very much

eb728560
Community Member

Hey. I would really like to chat you privately if you dont mind

ok

8301f056
Community Member

tell something you did on upwork 

May I ask what exactly you meant bybwhat I did on Upwork?
743a7bd5
Community Member

Sam Muddasar my name is Abdulmumeen Abdulraheem,

I am new here  ,I wrote some proposal but I no get hired by Clients , please if you can help me in one on two things about upwork 

And how to apply for job 

c58ef7d8
Community Member

Good morning, Muddasar. Hope all is well.

How do I create a proposal? What is a milestone? How do I gauge my hourly fee/salary?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Before you do anything, read this post. You are at high risk of being scammed, because your profile is incomplete. Scammers can tell, just like I can, that you aren't following Upwork's rule or best practices.

If you don't know the answers to the questions you asked, you should not do anything until you learn how to use the platform correctly and safely.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths