cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a friend's bank account since I don't have one yet?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 13

Sounds like some people need to stop being scrubs and get it together.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
12 of 13

@Darcel O wrote:

Preston H. Some people can't open a bank account for different reasons. They may have an unpaid debt owed to the bank they once used. In some cases a bank account can become over drawn to the point the bank may close the account until the debt is paid off. The bank may replace some of the money at the time the transaction was made and there was not enough money in the account to cover the purchase. Fees can add up rather quickly if you're not carefully paying attention to what's in your acount. I should know. And before you know it you're in trouble. All I know is people have their reasons. Him and friends situation may be totally different, so try and look at things from other peoples perspective.

Darcel, this is true. These things happen, but Upwork has to abide by tax codes and laws. So no matter what a person's problem is, at the end of the day, they will be shut down if they don't abide by regulations. So an individual person's woes doesn't matter. They are here to make money, they are here to make us money.  they have to abide by the law.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Bryan D Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
13 of 13

It's not an issue of being "sophisticated enough", usually it's an issue of oppressive regimes that don't want you to succeed and will do anything in their power to prevent you from it, because they need you to be poor and dependent. Venezuelan freelancers have it rough because we can't open accounts in US currency here, and our currency is, for lack of a better description, utterly useless, e-Payment methods are normally hard to implement and dangerous too, because of the civil unrest and lack of normal rights we may not have the things they ask us for opening an e-payment account with them, and if we do, all can go well until they want to screw us over, asking us things to support the movement of our hard-worked-and-earned money that we may not have and then, BAM! We lose our money because it's "locked for our security", landing us in scorching-hot water. You need leverage that you may not have. I know that this answer is from 2014, but it's relevant to me today, that's why I answer. I know the measures also protect us from unwanted transactions that a person with our Upwork details could make, but we should have the right to accept those protections or to waive them, understanding, of course, that you couldn't do anything in case we do get "relieved of our money", to call it something.

The Technological Sophistication comment is, honestly, kind of insulting. We can work as much as we please as long as the government doesn't decide to cap us in that front too. In most cases, it's not up to us.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS