🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Charges
Page options
051d607e
Community Member

Charges

I am a new user who is looking to hire writers through Upwork. I have been told that Upwork deducts 20 per cent of the price listed by a seller as a service charge and charges 5.5 per cent on cash withdrawals, so sellers lose 23.5 per cent of the fee listed. There is also a 3pc processing charge. I have also been told that Upwork charges a 20 per cent surplus on every order I place so in effect I am paying Upwork a 20 per cent surcharge. Is this true? Could anyone please clarify what charges are levied on the buyer (me) and the freelancer beyond the price listed by the seller? Thank you. Really appreciate your help. 

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad A wrote:

I have been told that Upwork deducts 20 per cent of the price listed by a seller as a service charge and charges 5.5 per cent on cash withdrawals,

They don't charge 5.5% for withdrawals. And what do the fees that freelancers pay have to do with you? When you go into a shop, do you concern yourself with their electricity bills or the wages they pay their employees?

Muhammad A wrote:

I have also been told that Upwork charges a 20 per cent surplus on every order I place

You were told nonsense

Muhammad A wrote:

...so in effect I am paying Upwork a 20 per cent surcharge. Is this true? 

You aren't.

Muhammad A wrote: Is this true?

It's not.

Muhammad A wrote:

Could anyone please clarify what charges are levied on the buyer (me) and the freelancer beyond the price listed by the seller?

You pay what the freelancer is bidding, or their hourly rate for hourly contracts, plus the 3% payment processing fee.

That's it.

The freelancer's business expenses are nothing to do with you and not your concern.

Freelancers do pay Upwork service fees, the more a freelancer earns with any one client, the less the fee becomes. But as I said above, those fees are nothing to do with the client.

051d607e
Community Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply Petra, your reply covered everything and I appreciate that. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths