🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client Ending Contract
Page options
jenniferbeemarq
Community Member

Client Ending Contract

I'm new to Upwork, and it hasn't been a very good experience so far.  I've had one person ask me to work for free as a "trial" and now a client ended a 2-hour contract after the first hour.  I only found out when I went to log my time.  So that work that I've done is now just for nothing?  

In future, how do I log my time so that I at least have some protection?

Thanks for any advice!

3 REPLIES 3
yitwail
Community Member

Jennifer, did you use time tracker? If so, you'll get paid, barring a client dispute. If you used manual time, then use time tracker as much as possible in the future, but you may be out of luck on the contract in question.

Thank you for your reply. My only other job was fixed price so I didn't
understand about the tracker. It was when I was trying to manually add the
time that I discovered the contract had been cancelled.

I guess I'll figure out how to use the time tracker for the next hourly job!

Jennifer:

I really am sorry that you had a disappointing experience with your first hourly contract.

For future reference, you now know about the time tracker. When you use that, you can qualify for Upwork Payment Protection, which is great. And all of your time is counted and paid for, even if the client suddenly closes the contract.

Also important to understand: the client who hired you and then suddenly closed the contract did not break any rules. Clients may end a contract at any time, for any reason.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths