🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client asked me to post on FB marketplace and...
Page options
946bcff5
Community Member

Client asked me to post on FB marketplace and Craigslist: Real estate

I posted the photos of the house for rent and details on my own FB marketplace for a client and was immediately flagged and kicked off of my own FB marketplace.

I contacted the client and they ignored me!

I also contacted FB Marketplace and it takes up to 7 days to receive any info

I blocked the client and am attaching a screenshot here of what they asked.

**Edited for community guidelines**

5 REPLIES 5
50f7abd3
Community Member

Interesting, but I'm not sure why you blocked the client though. I would have thought it would be the other way around. There's little to go on here but I suspect this was a rental scam. A rental scam is where a bad actor posts images of existing or expired listings in a bid to get a deposit or 1st month's rent and then disappears. FB probably have some image comparison algorithm running in the background, which saw the same photo in another or multiple other posts. 

As a freelancer, you have to ensure that you fine-tune your business process to prevent falling prey to this sort of trap. Looking at the remuneration ($900), together with the task (uploading photographs, which anybody can do apparently), you should have seen the signs. 

Honestly, I've been digital marketing for 4 years, but I'm new to freelancing on sites like this. I am learning as I go.

69bf7a32
Community Member

I notice the client did not specify what would be marketed until you could speak with them in private. It is difficult to flag jobs when the description appears to be normal. I hope that Facebook will be understanding of this incident.

JoanneP

Hi Heather,

Welcome to the Upwork Community!

If you suspect that this job violates Upwork TOS, please use the flag option found on each job post or message. This will notify our team, allowing us to investigate and take appropriate action. Please also check out this course for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.
~ Joanne
Upwork
spectralua
Community Member

You did all right. Scammer want to scam others from your behalf. It is common fraud.

Rejecting work if you unsure it is good practice. Maybe you can loose a little money but you will avoid large problems then.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths