Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Client does not answer, can I get back connects?

kamilah_garif
Active Member
Kamilah G Member Since: Oct 17, 2019
1 of 7

I submitted a proposal and spent 4 connects, in addition I have done a test, it took time. But the client does not answer and my proposal has not been even read. So can I get my connects back?

pudingstudio
Community Guru
Antun M Member Since: Jan 27, 2018
2 of 7

Kamilah G wrote:

I submitted a proposal and spent 4 connects, in addition I have done a test, it took time. But the client does not answer and my proposal has not been even read. So can I get my connects back?


No.

But you have learned not to do any work without a contract.

When a client asks you to "do a test" or provide work with a promise of hiring, you inform them that you will do all of that as soon as they send you job offer for you to accept.

If they don't do so, flag them for asking you to provide free work.

kamilah_garif
Active Member
Kamilah G Member Since: Oct 17, 2019
3 of 7

Thank you, Antun!

The client has asked to do a test in the job description **Edited for Community Guidelines** and I thought that it could show my work speed skills (they have mention a deadline like "asap"), so it is not quite they asked me in person to do a test...

But definitely it is a good lesson, I wont do any test again!

However the question is that they did not even open my message, so I don't understand why those connects are lost... They did not get any job from me in fact.

kirnazdogan
Community Guru
Dogan K Member Since: Nov 2, 2019
4 of 7

Kamilah G wrote:

However the question is that they did not even open my message, so I don't understand why those connects are lost... They did not get any job from me in fact.


You use connects to submit proposals, not to get jobs. Get the job or not, your connects die. You only get your connects back if they refuse your proposal.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 7

Dogan K wrote:

Kamilah G wrote:

However the question is that they did not even open my message, so I don't understand why those connects are lost... They did not get any job from me in fact.


You use connects to submit proposals, not to get jobs. Get the job or not, your connects die. You only get your connects back if they refuse your proposal.


This isn't correct either.

You do NOT get connects back if they decline your proposal, only if they cancel (!) the job post without hiring anybody or if Upwork takes the job post down for a terms of service violation.

kirnazdogan
Community Guru
Dogan K Member Since: Nov 2, 2019
6 of 7
But I'm sure that it happened to me once. The client refused my proposal and sent me a kind message, and I got my connects back. 🤔
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 7

Dogan K wrote:
But I'm sure that it happened to me once. The client refused my proposal and sent me a kind message, and I got my connects back. 🤔

Then there will have been some other factor or the connects were from a different job or the client closed the job without hiring anybody.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS