🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Communication with client
Page options
anita_van_houdt
Community Member

Communication with client

Hello,

I'm new on Upwork and a prospect client asked me for my e-mail address and Skype-details. Is this allowed? Or should we only communicate through the platform? Please advise!

3 REPLIES 3
kat303
Community Member

You can communicate any way you want - through Skype, a regular phone call, personal email, the messenger on this site, or anything else. Just make sure you are Officially hired on this site, the clients account is verified and, if it's a fixed rate job, escrow is funded for the job or milestones as they come up BEFORE you start work.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anita, 

Communicating outside of Upwork is okay. However, it is highly recommended that you recap important points of your communication in the Upwork Messages for transparency. 

Since you are new here, I would highly recommend that you read up on the resources we have compiled here, and here to help you get started and work safely on Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
arafat204
Community Member

Hi Anita,

Welcome to the freelancing marketplace! Anyway, I have some tips for you... only communicate with your client via upwork message center until he requests you any other method. It's basically the legal process for communication. But make sure you have your own skype, google talk, and yahoo messenger account because client can request you any of these anytime. You shouldn't late to contact your client.

Best,

Arafat

Md Arafat
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths