🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Email
Page options
vac014
Community Member

Email

I was given the opportunity to work for someone on this site. I am new to upwork but want to proceed with caution. They are moving me on to the hiring process and have offered me a weekly income. He also asked me to email quailifications and or resume to the hiring manager and or use goggle hangout to discuss futher terms and arrage for an online interview. I am not sure how to go about this without voliating any terms on my end. Is this normal to recieve regarding a job offer? Again i am new to this and want to make sure that I am doing the right thing without getting in trouble or myself in any type of trouble.

5 REPLIES 5
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Tons of red flags.  Why would a legitimate client want to interview you on Google Hangouts instead of one the platform? (Because they don't want the conversation to be discoverable).  Your qualifications are already on your profile.  Don't send them anything.  In fact, I would walk away as this has all the earmarks of a scam.

Thank you so much, I dont really know how interviews work on here but I have been proceeding with caution. I really appreciate any feedback or any valuable information to use so that I do not walk into another scam. I have not sent out any information as I want to make sure that I am following all terms with Upwork.

sgoble
Community Member

"He also asked me to email quailifications and or resume to the hiring manager and or use goggle hangout to discuss futher terms and arrage for an online interview."

I don't think he's allowed to do that. He's using Upwork to find and screen potential talent, but doesn't want to pay through them or have them supervise the work.  One of the advantages of Upwork or Textbroker is that they can enforce payment terms.

I recommend that you politely, but firmly, insist that all messages and communication and ESPECIALLY payment go through Upwork.

nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Victoria,

You'll definitely want to make sure that you have a contract with the client before starting on any work, and also that they have a verified billing method so that the work you do can be covered by Upwork Payment Protection.

You can send me a PM with the job posting and our team will take a deeper look into this, if any violations of our ToS are found, then we will take appropriate action.

I would suggest you browse  this thread which has helpful tips and excellent resources for users just getting started on the platform and you can also check out this thread for tips on avoiding suspicious jobs and scams. I hope that helps!

~Nina

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths