🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Ended the contract but still need to pay
Page options
4122d60e
Community Member

Ended the contract but still need to pay

I thought that a payment would be made when I ended a contract. My billing section says that there is a zero balance. The freelancer's account shows I still owe $100. No money has been charged to me. How do I make a payment on a closed contract?

Thank you,

Kathryn

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Kathryn,

I believe I found the contract you're referring to and it looks like you funded and released the first milestone some time ago. I can see the budget was $200 and there was only one milestone on the contract for $100. If you're intending to pay the freelancer the remaining $100 you can do so by sending a bonus payment.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask here!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I thought that a payment would be made when I ended a contract."

Not necessarily.

re: "My billing section says that there is a zero balance. The freelancer's account shows I still owe $100."

That is not necessarily true.

re: "No money has been charged to me. How do I make a payment on a closed contract?"

A couple of things:

How do you make a payment on a closed contract?

That is easy.

When you close a contract, you STILL have the ability to make a payment.

You navigate to the contract, click on the Three Dots icon, and select the option to "Send bonus."

You can make a payment in any amount.

But there is a DIFFERENT question:

SHOULD you make a payment?

Probably NOT.

If this is an hourly contract, then your credit card is charged NEXT week. Your credit card is NOT CHARGED when a contract is closed.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

So if a freelancer was working for you using an hourly contract, then you should NOT make a payment now. Your credit card will be charged AUTOMATICALLY in due time.

If this is a fixed-price contract, then your credit card was ALREADY CHARGED when you funded the escrow payment. You don't need to pay AGAIN. If you closed a contract, then you already RELEASED the escrow payment to the freelancer. The freelancer will receive the money in due time. There is a 5-day security period.

YOUR client-side user interface shows all of this information. That is where you should look for payment history. If the freelancer says she hasn't been paid, don't worry about it. Or tell her she can come to community.upwork.com to ask questions. Sometimes newbie freelancers don't understand where to look, although it's really not complicated on the freelancer's side.

AndreaG

Hi Kathryn,

I believe I found the contract you're referring to and it looks like you funded and released the first milestone some time ago. I can see the budget was $200 and there was only one milestone on the contract for $100. If you're intending to pay the freelancer the remaining $100 you can do so by sending a bonus payment.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask here!

~Andrea
Upwork
4122d60e
Community Member

Thank you so much!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths