🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Feedback to job postings
Page options
larrymarry
Community Member

Feedback to job postings

I recently created an Upwork account as a freelancer.  With over 15 years of solid web business application development, database design (back-end) and client side technologies (front end) such as Javascript, HTML, CSS etc. and business acument and excellent communication skills you would think I should be able to get some project quickly.

Oh boy, I'm wrong.

And here's my finding:

a) most job posting lack clarity, job sponser simply writes what's on their mind and then post

b) it seems a freelancer's current reputation (projects that he/she has done already) takes an over-sized importance in influencing job sponser's decision making in selecting a freelancer

c) Upwork lacks an effective mechanism to assist new US freelancer or I don't know what they are

5 REPLIES 5
jaybopp82
Community Member

Upwork doesn't do much hand holding for new people, freelancers and clients alike.  This results in vague job descriptions from clients, and new freelancers having a rough time getting started.  It's just the way it is, it seems.

Improvements help all stakeholders.

aditipie
Community Member

Don, thank you for sharing some astute observations.

c) To help new freelancers, there are is a community forum, where one can read more about problems freelancers experience and solutions proposed by other freelancers. Also, Upwork hosts several webinars. If you could attend one of those or listen to recordings, it usually helps. Lastly, it took me about a month to get my first project. But after that, projects come to you pretty rapidly.

b) The good news is it doesn't have to be projects done on Upwork. Any projects that you may have done in past can be added under the portfolio. Do you have one or two such projects to add on your profile? That usually works.

a) Yes, I agree. Upwork needs to have a training course for potential clients. Solving disputes between untrained clients and freelancers surely takes a lot of resources from Upwork too (e.g. representatives, their time etc). But then Upwork is only 5 years old and it acts like a 5-yr old. 

Aditi,

I appreciate your thoughtful and informative response.

Hope folks at Upwork that you have interacted with would be receptive to your suggestion on such a major issue for new freelancers.  Instead of the usual painful long one month, if it were two weeks for a freelancer to get a project going how much value it would add to all stakeholders?

Don, it's not usually one month. Many, many freelancers here never get hired, or get hired after sending proposals for months. If you expect clients to glance at (what you say) are your qualifications and experience, and hire you out of thousands of other freelancers, this may not be the platform for you. To do well here, you typically need to have a portfolio with relevant projects; tailored, well-written proposals; a profile that makes you stand out (why should a client hire you over someone else with the same skills?); and send LOTS of proposals to jobs you'd be perfect for. We were all here for the first time with no projects in our Upwork history, so you absolutely don't need that to get your first job. While it would be great if no  one had to wait long to get their first project, do you really want Upwork handing what could potentially be your projects to someone else because they're new? Personally, I appreciate that the uphill battle freelancers face here (just like I did) helps weed out those without the experience or fortitude for freelance work. It's good  for clients and good for us.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths