🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » First client went no contact. 1st milestone o...
Page options
polishstudio
Community Member

First client went no contact. 1st milestone of two is paid. What to do next?

Hi. It's my first client. After agreeing on 2 milestone contract I started to work. After sending first inital sketches client went no contact. I had a first milestone funded and a deadline so I kept working and submitted work. After 14 days first milestone was paid. Client is still not responding. How should I end this with less possible harm on my Upwork reputation? I do not want to ask for funding second milestone. Should I wrote him again and ask to end or cancel contract ? What are consequences after me cancelling or ending this contract? I've already lost Raising Talent badge in between times after getting 4.6 feedback from second client. Please advise me on this matter.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you already wrote him once, there is no need to write him again.

The client is not obligated to contact you.

Just do nothing for now.

Eventually the client will contact you. Or he won't. Those are the only two possibilities.

If you finish a few other contracts, which receive feedback, then you will be able to safely close this contract yourself without causing your JSS to decline.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you already wrote him once, there is no need to write him again.

The client is not obligated to contact you.

Just do nothing for now.

Eventually the client will contact you. Or he won't. Those are the only two possibilities.

If you finish a few other contracts, which receive feedback, then you will be able to safely close this contract yourself without causing your JSS to decline.

piyushseem
Community Member

Hi Paulina,

Sometime client can’t see your messages if:
√ Technical issue occur.
√ Client get limited suspension OR fully.
√ Busy or out of station.

Conclusion:
√ You said you already paid from first milestone (after 14 days), means that money is released by system (Automated) after its secure period. So either they have some issues with upwork OR they are not available (May be out of station).
√ If your client do not want to work further than you should request them to close that contract by them. Also, you should talk with support system because they can send direct message to your client on behalf of you. So in the case of technical issue OR limited suspension, client can see that message and so they can revert once it will resolve (Highly recommend).
√ Finally, if they do not respond after support message, you can end that contract by your end. Because it is the last way where you can do by your end. In other hand one OR more that kind of contracts won’t be affect on your score/reputation.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

There is no reason not to contact an AWOL client every week or (better) two, but don't hound them with daily messages.

If they still don't communicate after a month or so, ask them politely if the project has been completed to their satisfaction. If so, would they please close the contract so other potential clients don't think you may be too busy to handle their new projects. 

If there is still no response after six weeks or so, send the client a polite note telling them you will mark the project as complete if you don't hear from them in the next seven days. If you don't hear from them, mark the project as closed and include in your public feedback that you closed the project only because the client disappeared and you'd be happy to re-open the project at the client's option at any time.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths