๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป New to Upwork ยป First proposal sent my be. Not sure it is sca...
Page options
Shefali T Community Member

First proposal sent my be. Not sure it is scam or not.

Someone posted a job of data analyst few days ago, They took my interview and offered me job (Job title was Freelance Data Analyst). Then after 2 days that job posting had been deleted from Upwork. They continue their communication with me on emails. They sent me electronic check yesterday for equipment( laptop). It is deposited in my bank. It was pending , now it is showing that it had been cleared(but I want to wait for few days ). Now they are asking me to send someone -(vendor according to them who is going to drop off laptop) money on zelle. Not sure it is scam or not.

That was my first proposal and not sure how this works.
The person (Fred Nelson) who took my chat interview is available on chat again here on Upwork. Earlier when job posting was deleted, all my chat with him was deleted too. Now the contract is not visible and it is showing that they paused contract on Nov 9th. My job supposed to be start on Nov 15.
The person who took my interview today informed me - 

Time tracking is not permitted until the contract is restarted.

Can someone please help me with that? Is it legitimate job or not? 

How come the job posting is  not visble and when I opened my View Jobs- it is showing the contract is paused and Fred Nelson chat is visible now (Earlier it was deleted when job posting is deleted but now chat is reinstate)Job post is not visible(Is it deleted?)

Is it normal procedure that employers sent laptops like this(sent money via check and then ask me to send money via zelle or ebay cards to 'vendor' who is going to deliever laptop) . In my previous jobs(not on upwork), laptops usually delievered by vendor and no money was involved.

Help please.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Rachel. This exactly happened to me. They submit 'check' of $2400 on my bank account and then ask me to send $1000 to a 'vendor'. I refused to do so. After they suggested to buy ebay gift cards. After few hours, 'check' was return from my account.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Rachel S Community Member

I have heard of scams whereby the person hired receives some kind of cheque, which they deposit.  Following that they receive communication stating the equipment is costing less than the money provided and requesting the amount difference to be returned to them.  The equipment doesn't show up, and the person later finds out that the cheque was cancelled before the money was received.  Then they realise that they are out of pocket for the amount they supposedly returned to the "company", and find the company has blocked them from communicating with them.

I'm not sure if you are in the middle of such a scam, but tread carefully.  Warning flags are flashing.

Thanks Rachel. This exactly happened to me. They submit 'check' of $2400 on my bank account and then ask me to send $1000 to a 'vendor'. I refused to do so. After they suggested to buy ebay gift cards. After few hours, 'check' was return from my account.

Elisa B Community Member

SCAM.

Before applying to jobs again, you should really read this: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Thanks Elisa. This article is very informative.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths