🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Fraud
Page options
0c2c8fe3
Community Member

Fraud

Hello, my name is Jonah **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I applied to be a personal assistant on this website, I recived a job offer and I think what they are doing is a scam. They were not going to pay me though Upwork and refused to call me or sign any contracts. Also, they were trying to send me large amounts of money after one conversations through email. I declined.**Edited for Community Guidelines** is who tried to hire me. if your team could look into this to help keep everyone safe, that would be great! Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
jordanvfx
Community Member

I was tricked into working for a whole month for 100 dollars, so be careful there are many fishy things going on...

re: "I was tricked into working for a whole month for 100 dollars, so be careful there are many fishy things going on..."

There are only two possibilities:

a) You were not tricked at all. You willingly agreed to work for a certain amount of money, and you later regretted doing that much work for what you decided was insufficient payment.

b) You were using Upwork improperly, probably because you did not adequately understand how the Upwork platform and tools work.

I didn't agreed to work for 100 dollars for the whole month, do you think as 3d and 2d graphic designer is ok to do that amount of work for that price? I was explaining the client that the price is too low and the answer i got was that i will get paid and i shouldn't worry, but that didn't happen and eventually yes i realised that i got played, simple as that. The fact remains that i got exploited whole month and i got paid for 100$. I'm not planning to explain myself any further, since i'm working on other platforms aswell and this is where i got exploited.

Hi All,

Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

sent your reports to our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

~ Nikola
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Jonah G wrote:

I recived a job offer

You have not received a job offer, there is no job, you are speaking to scammers, you are violating Upwork's terms of service which forbid communicating with clients outside the platform before you are hired ON Upwork, and they are not trying to send you any money, they want you to send THEM money after they send you a fake check.

It's the ancient amd very dumb fake check scam... And you need to read the terms of serviuce, which are partly in place to protect people from themselves.

re: "...is who tried to hire me."

No.

That is not who tried to hire you.

That is either a fake name made up by a scammer, or a real name belonging to someone else, copied off of the Internet by a scammer.

Scammers don't use their real names when working thus particular scam. MOST scams entail the use of fake names.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths