🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

7,804 REPLIES 7,804
c3900749
Community Member

Hi everyone, I'm new on the platform but also in the freelancing field in general. I find this topic very helpful so I hope someone can take a look at my profile and gives me an honest feedback. Thank you.

celgins
Community Member

Hi Alessandro,

I looked through your profile and I see good background information. However, the structure of your overview/summary is the opposite of how it should be. You talk about your background first and your goals for clients last. Instead of focusing on yourself (background, education, achievements, etc.), you must focus on the client. Clients come to Upwork with specific needs and they look for freelancers who can meet those needs and get results.

The first two sentences of your summary are important. When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want clients to see your services and offerings in this small space.

Here is an example that is client-focused and uses the first two sentences to immediately tell clients how you can help them:

Passionate Data Scientist with experience collecting, analyzing, and interpreting complex data to help organizations make informed decisions. I can help you leverage data to drive strategic decisions, improve processes, and achieve your objectives with precision and efficiency.

I hold a master's degree in Data Science from the University of Pisa, where I graduated with top honors. My academic journey provided me with a robust foundation in data analysis, machine learning, and statistical modeling, skills I have continuously honed through practical application.

(Before continuing with background information, keep the focus on ways you can help clients.)

• Tell clients how you will communicate and gather feedback during their project to ensure the final deliverables meet their needs.
  • Mention that you stay informed of the latest developments, trends, and emerging technologies in data science and machine learning.
  • Talk about how you can uphold ethical standards, protect proprietary data, and use responsible practices for data collection and analysis.
  • Which data visualization software applications/tools do you use?
  • Mention your time management and organizational skills while managing a data analytics project.
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Your skills list looks good, but you have room for other relevant skill categories like Data Analytics and Data Analytics and Visualization Software. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

c3900749
Community Member

Thank you very much Clark!

c9e57456
Community Member

I'm new to Upwork and freelancing. Could anyone please take a moment to review my profile and provide feedback?

celgins
Community Member

Hi Antar,

One of the most important factors in getting clients' attention is to focus on their needs. Your profile overview/summary has good information, but it's mostly focused on you. You can easily make it more client-focused by revising a few sentences. Here is an example:

I am a results-driven Data Analyst with five years of experience specializing in complex dataset analysis. My expertise lies in data manipulation, statistical modeling, precise data visualization, and turning data into insights and actionable solutions. I can develop and maintain databases, generate reports, and create dashboards to monitor key performance indicators for strategic decision-making.

(Add a blank line here to make your summary easier for clients to read.)

Proficient in SQL, MS Excel, Python, and crafting interactive reports in Tableau, I can create visually appealing and impactful dashboards. I have extensive experience working with various sectors, including energy, finance, and technology with a proven track record of reducing energy consumption by 10% through trend data analytics for high-tech clients, resulting in a million-dollar cost savings.

(Now, add more client-focused material like:

• Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback during a project to ensure the final deliverables meet their needs.
  • Mention that you stay informed of the latest developments, trends, and emerging technologies in data analytics and machine learning.
  • Talk about how you can uphold ethical standards, protect proprietary data and information, and use responsible practices for data collection and analysis.
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.)

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression, and clients will expect to see a few Excel, Tableau or other samples. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Be sure to add relevant skill categories to your skills list. Several important categories like Data Analytics, Data Analysis, Data Analytics & Visualization Software, and Data Visualization should be added because all are highly relevant to your services. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Your certifications and employment history look great.

Good luck!

721dd89d
Community Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to upwork, I'd like to receive some feedback on my profile, so i'm excited to start working through this platform, best regrads!!

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0185ce5cd1aa6596d5

celgins
Community Member

Hello Natalia,

There is good information in your profile. However, I think your overview/summary needs to go further to convince clients to hire you. You provide good background and experience information; now, give specific examples of how you can help clients. I would give these examples early in the first paragraph. For example:

I am a social communicator and journalist, with a focus on b2b business development, strategic communication and positioning through advertising. I help businesses identify, cultivate, and expand their relationships with other businesses to generate new opportunities and revenue streams.

(Keep the focus on clients by mentioning more services you can provide and how.)

I work with my clients to understand their unique needs and conduct market research to identify potential target industries and segments; identifying potential leads; build and nurture relationships with key stakeholders and decision-makers; conduct needs assessments; and help negotiate and close deals.

(If possible, add another paragraph that helps clients understand why they should choose you. For example, you can highlight projects you have worked on and your accomplishments, and talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements when necessary.)

You don't have to keep the content I wrote, but you get the general idea--continue to focus on the services/tasks you can do to help clients meet their business needs.

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Also, I suggest writing your profile information in English--you will get much more attention that way.

Good luck!

d03a2141
Community Member

Please give me feedback on my profile, and let me know what improvements I can make.

Thanks

celgins
Community Member

Nelson,

I recommend starting your overview/summary with sentences instead of emojis and statements. Start by removing the first line:

":glowing_star: Passionate Professional Dedicated to Positive Change :globe_showing_europe_africa:"

When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience). Emojis and statements are irrelevant and provide no value to clients.

You summary will be more appealing to read if it starts with sentences:

Skilled grant writer who can write grant proposas, conduct grant research, and assist with grant applications, strategic business planning, and business proposal development. With an extensive eight-year track record, I bring seasoned proficiency to grant writing and business consultancy. Certified and skilled, I've successfully guided both profit-driven and nonprofit enterprises towards growth and success.

I think the other sections of your profile look great.

d03a2141
Community Member

Thank you so much Clark 🙏

219f1f90
Community Member

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could review my profile and give me your valuable feedback.

Thank you.

Here is my profile link.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01aaa55d14363d190f

celgins
Community Member

Shuvo,

I looked through your profile and overall, I think it looks good.

I think you can optimize the beginning of your overview/summary by removing redundant text. Here is what I mean:

"I'm WordPress Expert and PHP developer with 2+ years of experience. I am highly experienced with WordPress design and development."

You've already established your experience with WordPress design and development when you used the word "expert" in the first sentence. I would remove the second sentence to allow your third sentence to be seen.

When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience). Your third sentence offers this, so it would be great if clients see more of it in searches.

Your portfolio, skills and employment history look good. However, I would add a short job description to your full-stack develper job at Offshore IT.  Job descriptions are especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

1d011579
Community Member

Thank you AndreaG for the introductory message.

I'm literally fresh and new to Upwork. I would appreciate it if experienced Upworker can advice me on my profile.

Thank you again! Cheers.

celgins
Community Member

Faris,

Your profile does not have enough information to convince clients to hire you. I know you're new, but you must add more substance to your overview/summary for clients to understand how you can help them. Clients come to Upwork with specific needs and they look for freelancers who can get results.

Profiles work best when they are focused on specific skill areas. Doing so will allow clients to better understand your services, skills, and experience within a particular skill area. Right now, your profile title branches into several different areas, and it will be better to focus on one skill area or related skill areas.

For example, you can probably provide services as a Virtual Assistant. Or, you can use something like Virtual Assistant | Social Media Management.

In your summary, provide more details about your services and how you can help clients. For example:

• Tell clients about your approach to providing virtual assistance services and why your data entry, social media management, calendar management, etc. is beneficial to them.
  • Describe your strengths and why it should matter to the client.
  • Talk about your typing speed, accuracy, attention to detail, and maintaining quality standards.
  • Also talk about your time management and organizational skills, and which tools/applications you are familiar with.
  • Talk about your ability to solve administrative problems and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

Good luck!

siddhicjavan
Community Member

Can you please have a look at my profile?

Thank you in advance for your precious time! 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0170a24ef702c85e7a

Siddhi,

There is redundancy in your title and I think it will be much clearer as: Google Ads Expert | Microsoft Ads Expert

Your overview/summary is short, but I think there is enough informaiton there for clients to understand how you can help them. You can strengthen your summary by highlighting any Google or Microsoft ads projects you have worked on and your accomplishments. You can also add value by mentioning your time management and organizational skills, and how you work with clients to ensure quality ad campaigns.

Be sure to add more relevant skill categories to your skills list. Both Google Ads and Microsoft Ads are relevant and should be added to your skills list. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Good luck!

219f1f90
Community Member

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could review my profile and offer insights into why I might not be successful in landing a job. Your feedback is invaluable to me.

Here is my profile link.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01aaa55d14363d190f

celgins
Community Member

971e6745
Community Member

Hi kindly review my profile and feedback on it. Thanks
Here is my profile link:
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~019b2e3a27da950462?mp_source=share

celgins
Community Member

Hi Momina,

There is some good information in your profile overview/summary, but not enough information to convince clients to hire you. You do a good job of telling clients about your expertise; now, you must tell them how you can help them.

First, remove the unnecessary text from your title. Remove "Other" and "Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word." Your title should focus on your skill area: Accounting & Consulting

Next, remove "Profile Snapshot:" and add two or three more paragraphs to your summary with examples of how you can help clients. It might be a simple as chaning your expertise into services. For example:

I can help you with Financial Accounting, Auditing, Financial Management, Cash Flow, Receivable and Payable Management, Cash & Fund Management etc and well versed with IFRS, ISA's, IAS's, GAAP standards and other professional standards.

After this, provide more information about your process for working with clients (i.e., how you review business documention and data to get records up-to-date, resolve discrepancies, and keep finances and reports healthy)

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. Clients will expect to see examples from an accountant and he portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Since you are certified, you should upload a copy of your certification. At a minimum, you can add a screenshot of your accounting certification to your portfolio.

Good luck!

b53032cc
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I hope this message finds you well. I recently made some updates to my Upwork profile based on your previous feedback you gave me yesterday, and I would greatly appreciate it if you could review it again.

Specifically, I have revised my profile to focus more on how I can help clients solve their problems rather than explaining why they need to hire a copywriter to help them. I have removed statements that may not directly address the needs of potential clients and replaced them with clearer explanations of the value I can provide.

Could you please take a moment to review my revised Upwork profile and provide any additional suggestions for improvement? Your feedback is valuable to me, and I am committed to making my profile as effective as possible in attracting potential clients.

Thank you for your time and assistance. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

Tseke Hector Bapela

celgins
Community Member

Hi Tseke Hector,

Very nice updates. Your summary is now more informative and gives clients the information they need to understand your value and why they should choose you.

Your portfolio, skills, certifications, and employment history look good too.

The updates look great. I'm not seeing much more that can be improved.

Good luck!

b53032cc
Community Member

Thanks, Clark. I will read the article you suggested and then add the project catalogue to my profile. Again, I really appreciate your help.

b91352c5
Community Member

Hi there, would highly appreciate it if you could take a look at my profile here: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01e45c23726dd2918e  and suggest any improvements! Thank you!

celgins
Community Member

Hi Anca,

I see great bullet points in your overview/summary, but you should start your summary with a brief overview of your background and services. Your first bullet point does some of this, so I would remove the bullet and say something like:

Skilled Sales Representative in IT industry for more than 5 years helping businesses drive revenue growth through product and service sales. I focus on prospecting and lead generation, developing marketing strategies, engaging with prospective customers, product/service knowledge and demonstration, building powerful sales presentations, and negotiation.

Here is how I helped a previous client:

• Enhanced client satisfaction through proactive issue resolution, ensuring consistent project success and achieving a 25% increase in positive feedback.
• Ran strategic project acquisition through focused prospecting and client engagement, increasing portfolio and boosting company revenue.
• Formulated and presented project proposals to leads, driving a signifcant interest increase.
• Implemented customer-centric project management methodologies, continuously elevating client satisfaction.
• Conceived and executed impactful marketing strategies, resulting in a substantial 14% increase in successful project acquisition.
• Implemented a new solution from scratch which has increased brand awareness by more than 20%.

(Here, I would talk briefly about your time management and organizational skills, and which software applications/tools you use or are familiar with.)

Time management and organization are key to my support. To stay organized, I utilize tools like Asana, Monday.com, Trello, and Microsoft Office to create and manage to-do lists, calendars, and task management. I am hyper-focused on project acquisition best-practices and completing the essential tasks that help increase brand awareness.

(Finally, end with an action statement.)

Do you have products or services you need to sell and need a solid project acquisition strategy? Let's talk about your needs and how I can help.

You can revise everything I wrote, but you get the general idea--tell clients about your services and give examples of how you can meet their needs or solve their problems. There are hundreds of thousands of sales reps with project acquistion experience on Upwork, so clients need several reasons to choose you.

Be sure to add more relevant skill categories to your skills list. Sales Management and Project Management might be good to add. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Your certifications and employment history look good.

Good luck!

c1957ae2
Community Member

Hey Andrea , please view my profile and provide some feedback. Thanks

celgins
Community Member

Hey Michelle,

Andrea is an Upwork Moderator--she doesn't provide profile reviews. Other freelancers offer to review profiles and provide feedback.

There is not enough information in your profile to convince clients to hire you. Clients come to Upwork with specific needs and they look for freelancers who can meet those needs. Your title should be corrected: Data Enrty --> Data Entry. Also, if you have less than 5 years of experience providing data entry services, you probably shouldn't use the term "expert."

Your summary needs to focus on your data entry skills and the data entry services you can provide to clients. Clients need to know which specific data entry tasks you can accomplish and any other value you can bring to them.

Since you are new to Upwork, be sure to go through the following Academy Courses and review the other resources to update your profile:

4eb7d480
Community Member

Hey! If you have a minute, take a look at my profile

I've been applying to jobs for the past 7 days, have received some responses but almost all of them were from scammers.. Haven't started any gig yet. I've been focused on applying to following categories: English tutoring, translation (English to Polish), Polish voiceovers.

Any advice? I think I've already optimized my profile as much as I could, and I try to write proposals in the right way.

Link to my profile:

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~011ba5233e6fe93602

thanks!

celgins
Community Member

Hi Alicia,

Competition is really high on Upwork, so it can be a challenge to win jobs. Additionally, the way Upwork positions our profiles and proposals in search and rankings determine how often we get attention from clients.

Overall, your profile looks good. Here are a few things I would update:

1) I suggest removing the greeting and your name from the first sentence of your overview/summary: "Hello! My name is Alicia."

Why? Because when clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space to get their attention. You want to save this small space for important words like your services, skills, and experience--not greetings and names.

I would start your summary with a quick overview of your services. This way, clients will see your offerings in the first 200-250 characters:

I am a certified English teacher with over 3 years of experience tutoring students of all ages and proficiency levels. I specialize in language instruction in grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation; writing skills development; reading comprehension; and speaking and listening practice.

My teaching approach: I'm committed to efficiently utilizing your time and resources to maximize your learning experience. I have achieved proficiency in English (in Spanish as well), so I'm confident I possess knowledge of the range of effective strategies and techniques essential for language acquisition.

(...)

2) I recommend adding one or two more items to your portfolio. The items should be related to language tutoring (i.e., sample tutoring/course outline, screenshots of any sofware you use, etc.) The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

3) Since you also provide translations, you should add related skill categories to your skills list. For example, you should probably add English to Spanish Translation, Spanish to English Translation, Polish to English Translation, English to Polish Translation and any others relevant to your work. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

4) Add a short job description to the job in your employment history--even if it's a freelance job. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

Good luck!

7d22e5ef
Community Member

Please review my profile and provide your valuable feedback. 

celgins
Community Member

Sandeep,

I think you need a little more information in your oveview/summary. You do a good job in telling clients about your background and experience. Now, you must tell them how you can help them. One of the best ways to do this is with examples. You say: "...experience in designing, developing, and managing web applications and systems." Clients want to know what types of web applications and systems.

Some other important items you can add to your summary to make it more appealing to clients:

• Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback during a project to ensure the final product meets their needs.
  • Talk about your attention to detail and how you maintain quality standards.
  • Do you provide unlimited revisions? Do you offer follow-up support after a web project is completed?
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

The other areas of your profile look good.

bfe12d70
Community Member

Hi! I'm new to Upwork, and I would love some feedback on my profile. I am also planning to set a specialized profile on Illustration. Here's the link: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~010d33ed4ccb46bc2e

Thanks in advance!

Micaela,

I think you need to sound more professional. As I tell people often, pretend you've been doing this for 10 years. Sound like you know the job frrontward and backward. Don't mention stuff like "I'm good at communicating," that just makes you sound like you got off the bus yesterday.  (For example, don't say 3 years experience, which isn't very impressive. Just  say "experienced.")

Focus strongly on your services and not so much (if at all) on your personality. Clients don't hire freelancers because of their personality. They hire them becaus they can get the job done on time with minimum input from them.

For example, when you say, "I make sure we communicate daily ..." clients are going to think, "I thought freelancers worked independently. Now, it sounds like I have to hold her hand. I want someone who really knows how this works."

Here are the personality traits you DON'T have to mention:

"Reliable & Diligent: When I commit to a task, consider it done."

"Versatile & Insightful: Whether it's UI graphics, editorial illustrations, or social media graphics, I bring a sharp eye for detail and a deep understanding of project needs"

"Open-Minded & Flexible: I am always eager to learn and adapt, I welcome feedback and maintain flexibility to ensure the best outcomes!"

All that stuff is a given. You're a freelancer, which means you work for yourself. So it's assumed you work hard, pay attention to details, and know when to be flexible. You do NOT have to tell people that. It just sounds childish (and undiginified) to get into any of that. 

Professionals do NOT walk around saying, "I'm a nice person who pays attention to details." They say, "Here is what I can do and here are the benefits I can provide for you."

That said, much of what you wrote is perfect ... the "hard skills" and description of your services. That's the stuff people want to see when they are hiring a graphic designer. And -- while I'm at it -- don't say you are eager to learn on the job. That just sounds like you are a high risk graphic illustrator. Sound like you know what you're doing. Don't equivocate.

Good luck.

e7d33cd4
Community Member

Hello everyone, I'm new here. Any feedback for my profile would be appreciated. Thanks. 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01d06c874f70ee458f?mp_source=share

celgins
Community Member

Hello Fernando,

Your profile will be confusing to clients. If you're not a food engineer, your title should not say so. Additionally, your title uses several unrelated skill categories, and clients will not understand how you can help them.

I recommend going through the following Academy Courses and resources to update your profile:

13369b1a
Community Member

Hello everyone! I am new here and I want you to give me a feedback about my profile If there is any issue or mistake or anything to add I would love to know. Thanks

celgins
Community Member

Hello Omary,

Remove your name from your overview/summary: "I'm Omary Chande.Why? Because clients see the first 200-250 characters of your summary. You don't want to waste any space with unnecessary words. The rest of your summary sounds good.

Add more relevant skill categories to your skills list. As a social media manager, you should probably add Content Management, Content Strategy, Social Media Content and Social Media Content Creation. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Good luck!

13369b1a
Community Member

Hello Clark!  Thank you for the feedback I really appreciate it, but I have a problem to fill all the profile. First I didn't graduate to collage so in education section what can i add?, also is it necessary to complete 100% profile because i don't have any testmonials in order to apply for job? and I don't have a youtube channel to add my introduction video, so what can i do please i need help?

14defc2a
Community Member

Am new to upwork can you help me how can i get job please

celgins
Community Member

Abdi,

Freelancers cannot help you get jobs. Most freelancers must search for and apply to jobs that match their skills and expertise.

Since you are new to Upwork, make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. The best way to complete your profile is to go through the following Academy Courses and other resources:

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths