🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelan...
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Hi New Upwork Freelancers!

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The Community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,582 REPLIES 3,582
itqadesigner
Community Member

Please review my profile and let me know if I am on the right direction if not please guide me 

69aa02e6
Community Member

I am new to Upwork. I would like some advice on how to get my first client 🙂

Thanks a lot!

Onjaniaina,

Hi.

There are some technical problems with your write up, which you should correct if you are advertising yourself as a skilled communicator. The first thing you have to do, however, is fix your job title. It's a disaster. 

You have Assistanat virtue / E-commerce & dropshiping. All of those are misspelled or bungled. I think you want to say Virtual Assistant / E-commerce  & Dropshipping. 

Secondly, your rate looks low to me. 

And finally, I wonder if you have the skills to try to sell your services in what is called social media. If you know how to dance around Facebook and know some approaches to marketing, perhaps you can expand your offerings a little. Or you could train up and head in that direction. 

itqadesigner
Community Member

Tauqeer,

It's terrific to sell your skills and that is, clearly, important. What people overlook, however, is the point that unless you have a skill that is totally unique, the number one reason anyone gets hired ever (well, not ever, but almost ever) is because the people doing the hiring think they can get along with you.

Think of it this way: Would you rather hire someone you like and train them or someone you dislike who knows the job? The answer is, why would you hire someone you dislike? Nobody does that.

Now, of course, that's different in freelance, because the people who hire you don't have to sit next to you in the cafeteria. But still, you have to come across as a nice person. That's how it works.

So, one way to do that is to have someone else vouch for you. If someone else says you're a nice guy, then that is almost always more convincing than saying it yourself.

Here's my suggestion:

Start your write--up this way:

________________________________________________________________________________________________

"A client review from November 2021 says, "Awesome job smooth communication delivery on time highly recommended for UI/UX swift delivery as committed"

(Then say)

In my own words: I'm an Adaptable and Responsive Designer from Pakistan with 7+ years of experience. UI/UX Design is my specialty and passion.

My focus is on understanding and translating business objectives into stunning user-friendly designs. I have great catchy eyes to know end user's expectations and behavior regarding the Designing and I feel that I can translate your IDEA into Design very easily.

You can see a reflection of that in my work and feedbacks. Please scroll down for work samples and more info, and feel free to contact me with any questions. Feel free to shoot me a message - I am ready to start immediately.

(Then put that long list of your skills under all of that.)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Why? Of course, your job skills  are important, but they don't give the client a chance to get to know you a little. So, I would put all the narrative parts of your write up first and put the list of skills at the bottom.

K?

Also, notice I changed one word from "having" to "with" in your opening. And, since I don't know the jargon, you might say "I'm an adaptable and responsive _______________ designer from Pakistan ..."

Is there a one word description of the type of design you do that you could use there? That would help. "I'm an adaptable and responsive dress designer ... (???) .... car designer ... (???) ... playground designer ... (???) ... what? Tell clients what kind of design you do in the first sentence. Don't make them guess. . 

thanks 
surely profile needs some adjustments as per your instructions ill do it and wait for the results  
its a pleasure 

Tauqeer,

I forgot to say, your photo is too dark. Stand in front of a brighter background, wear a lighter-colored coat and/or adjust the lighting.

4fd5c445
Community Member

Hi, 

Can anybody check my profile and tell me where I did mistakes? I did not get any contract in the last 2 weeks. I submitted proposals but clients did not respond to me. what should I do now? I did 3 jobs and earned more than 900 US in 3 jobs 

Norman,

Take all this out, pronto: 

Are you looking for an Amazon (FBA) expert? GO NO FURTHER... YOUR SOLUTION IS RIGHT HERE!! (If you don't like my work, I'll continue to work for you for free until you are satisfied)

Then thank Martina for that advice. She hates unneeded capitals (as does almost everybody) and you will attract all kinds of funky clients if you tell people you will work for free. Not only does that invite people to take advantage of you, but it really doesn't show the type of confidence you think it portrays. It smells of desperation, not  confidence.

Then look at what I wrote for Tauqeer just a moment ago. Put your narrative points at the top and the lists of skills at the bottom.

Anthony H wrote:

Norman,

Take all this out, pronto: 

Are you looking for an Amazon (FBA) expert? GO NO FURTHER... YOUR SOLUTION IS RIGHT HERE!! (If you don't like my work, I'll continue to work for you for free until you are satisfied)

Then thank Martina for that advice. She hates unneeded capitals (as does almost everybody) and you will attract all kinds of funky clients if you tell people you will work for free. Not only does that invite people to take advantage of you, but it really doesn't show the type of confidence you think it portrays. It smells of desperation, not  confidence.

Then look at what I wrote for Tauqeer just a moment ago. Put your narrative points at the top and the lists of skills at the bottom.

You are soo right, Anthony! I hate them with a passion!

If you don't like my work - in statement analysis, we would call that an embedded confession. You don't like my work is what's going to stand out to the potential client. What will he make of this? Will he think, great, this freelancer is going to work until I'm happy with his work? What is the benefit of that? It sounds like endless back and forth until the freelancer finally gets it right. A profile that does not contain this kind of language, with confidence in his abilities, is the presentation that is more appealing. 

Same as with a money-back-guarantee. Yes, that might sound good when I buy a cheap gadget on Amazon from some faraway country, that might be an incentive to buy it, when I feel there is no risk involved. What happens when I get it and it's as crappy as I thought? I'm not going to send it back, it's not worth the trouble to go to the post office, it's going to land right in the waste-basket. And I'm going to leave a bad review. Same goes for upwork. I don't see how people don't understand how it cheapens their profiles. 

Hello Sir

Kindly review my profile! I haven't gotten any job from a client since I joined Upwork.

Thanks!

bernard_kamal
Community Member

Hi Sir,

i would love to take note of this service please kindly pm me or review my profile

Thanks

Kamal

Kamal,

"There are many good experts on this platform, I worked with really good ones, but Kamal is untouchable - he is "la crème de la crème". He is extensively knowledgeable, superb communicator who takes very complex problems break them down in small pieces and explains everything very clearly then put together some amazing conclusions.... Excellent work! Immaculate thought process, superb delivery - and on time!"

Kamal, why don't you cut and paste this review and put it at the top of your write-up?

It seems a no-brainer. Someone vouching for you is often considered more convincing than bragging about yourself. Anyway, I would certainly do this.

Oh -- I would start with "From a client review" or something that indicated that it was a review. Then, after the review, I would start at new paragraph with, "Hi. My name is Kamal. My goal is to ...." and finish up with the bit you've already got there. (When you write "Hi, my name is ...." then clients will know your are no longer quoting someone else.)

Now, having said that, you will notice I shortened the review a little bit. I think the points are clearly made without including every word of that effusive review and you don't want to hammer away at any points once they are made. If that seems odd, rest assured that the three dots (...) tell the reader that the quote has been truncated. So, it's perfectly fine to shorten a quote if you do that.

Anyway, try that on for size. Then check the competition and raise your rates to somewhere in the middle of the pack. If you get reviews like that, you don't want to have low rates. People won't know what to make of that. It would be confusing.

6eaa277b
Community Member

Yes please, I need help with my profile

Kimani,

Your write up is confusing. For one thing, the word "Gaming" in the United States refers to gambling. You might want to say "Video games" or something like that.

Secondly, your job title says Translator ... but that isn't clear. You should spell that out -- English to Swahili Translator.

Similarly, you say you are a freelancer. But that could be a freelance cook or a freelance roofer. Say what you are ... a freelance content writer and translator.

Since you write about games, it is appropriate to say you have a degree in Computer Science. But nobody cares if you have a degree in Mathematics or are in school for Automotive Engineering.

What is it you are selling? Just get to the point, then tell folks you are terrific at it, sound friendly, but professional, and tell them why they will be pleased with your work. (For example: "Your readers will be informed and entertained.")

Do you know the acronym KISS? That stands for Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Your write up doesn't have to go on and on. Use the KISS guideline. Get to the point. Keep it simple.
Community Member

Hello expert freelancer!

I am new on Upwork and I have passed the readiness test. also, I got the rising talent base but I haven't responded to the submitted proposal. Have any problems with my profile or any mistake? Please review my profile and feedback. 

Thanks

Md Shah A wrote:

Hello expert freelancer!

I am new on Upwork and I have passed the readiness test. also, I got the rising talent base but I haven't responded to the submitted proposal. Have any problems with my profile or any mistake? Please review my profile and feedback. 

Thanks

It's good, but it needs a more personal touch to engage the reader. Look up other freelancers in your niche (but never copy anything!) for inspiration. 

You are in competition with literally millions of people, which makes it really hard to get the first jobs. 

celineyjs
Community Member

Hi everyone, I'd love to get profile feedback and see where I can improve if anyone has the time to do it, much appreciated! Just to clarify a few things, I've been an Upwork freelancer some time ago but stopped for a few years because I needed a break. Just recently came back to look for some jobs and to improve my portfolio. Thank you and have a great day/evening!

Celine,

I'm curious: Why $23 per hour? That seems low and somewhat arbitrary. On top of that you have some seriously great reviews for your work. I'd suggest $30 or $35. Maybe more, but it's not my place to say. (I'm not a graphic artist.)

Beyond that, your write up seems hesitant. I think you need to sound more assertive. It would sound more confident.

Just go for it: Say, "My strength is ..."  not "my main strength is ..."

In fact, it should be, "My strengths are illustration and graphic design."

Then go with: "I have experience in .... " and finish that sentence with "and label design." Take out the word "etc." 

"Etc." sounds like you've given up or you're bored. You don't want to tell clients you're bored with your work.

"My art style is mainly anime/manga but I can also draw other cartoons and semi-realism styles." You need to add the word "I."

Say "I am proficient with Adobe ... " Again, add the word "I."

You then might start the last sentence with "I strive to be time-efficient and attentive to your goals and needs." Or something like that.

Writing "Thank you for reading, and I hope to be able to work with you." is a nice touch.

Sorry ... I didn't check your portfolio, but if you don't have one get one.

Also, if you aren't so great at bragging, you might cut and paste one of your reviews and put that at the very top of your write-up. Start by saying, "One of my clients said: " ......" And then put the quote in italics. 

After that, you might say, "In my own words ... " and follow that with your write up. That way clients know you are no longer quoting a review. 

I see a slew of five-star reviews, so someone must have said something effusive that you can use as your lead.

Good luck. Welcome back. And all that.

Anthony H wrote:

Thank you for reading, and I hope to be able to work with you." is fine.

All good advice, but I disagree with the above:

Thank you for reading, and I hope to work with you soon.

Would be better. hope to be able implies there is a possibility of being unable. Unable could be because of lacking skills, or because she is never hired. Both we don't want to draw attention to. 

"Thank you for reading, and I hope to work with you soon.

Would be better."

Yup.

Hi Martina, I haven't thought of that at all so it makes perfect sense now that you mention it. I have changed the wording to your suggestion immediately, thank you so much!

Hi Anthony, thank you so much for the detailed feedback! It really helps and you can tell that I have some self-esteem problem with my lack of confidence, hence the lower hourly rates but mostly because I usually draw things in a very slow pace and tend to redraw a lot (always feeling unsatisfied) so I don't dare to take advantage of clients who would hire me on an hourly rate and ended up costing more than what was supposed to but I decided to increase it to $26 per hour. I'll practice on my speed in the meantime.

Sometimes I would stumble upon some jobs that states that they have limited budget but have something that makes me want to help them like doing for charities, helping out children's educations because they're teachers, hoping to create children's books using stories written by their own kids, and others. I don't know if they're real but it makes me turn soft-hearted and lower my hourly rates (but ended up not getting selected anyway, haha!) I know it sounds silly of me to do so.

I've edited my write up but I change from "etc" to "and more" because I have a few more skills but they're a bit minor compared to others but still useful (everything is listed in the tags anyway). I have 9 portfolios total, all of them are visuals and illustrations.

I saw your profile and understand about adding the reviews, just that I try to make it short so that people don't have to click on "more" word on the write up. I figure that they could look into my work history by scrolling down to check on reviews but I'll keep that suggestion in mind. And an artist's strength lies in their portfolios after all.

Once again, thanks a lot for your feedback, much appreciated!

Celine,

When you have more work than you can handle, you can equivocate. Not until then.

Unless you're in a room with other graphic artists, you don't know if you're fast or slow. But, you're right to work on your speed. It can only help you and your clients to do that.

One thing to realize: You're in business. Many businesses have different  rates for non-profit and commercial customers. You're in business. Set different rates and then make sure the non-profit clients verify they are non-profit. They are frequently asked to do this and should have verification somewhere they can show you. (Sometimes, it's a tax form. But learn the various forms of proof and add that to your professional knowledge base. Hell, Google should be able to quickly answer the question of what's proof of non-profit status.) 

It isn't professional to say, "Well, I was feeling soft one day and so I gave them a better rate." If you had a shop on Main Street and you did this, word would get out and people would take advantage of that. You're not on Main Street with a storefront, but sometimes you can pretend you are and the answer on how to conduct yourself will appear. Basically, establish a business policy for yourself and stick to it.  That's what they do in a grocery store.

Everyone has a limited budget. And, yes, I certainly accept jobs at different rates of pay, so you're not duty-bound to stick to your rate every time. On your profile, however, your rate of pay is part of your marketing. So, higher is better than lower for a number of reasons. It isn't only about getting more money faster. It says different things to your audience.

People, people, people: This is all about the meta-message.  It's not what you say, it's how what you say is perceived.  If someone comes to you and says they are worth $10,000 per hour, you think "Expensive." But you also think "Arrogant" and "Really confident" and "Out of touch with reality."

It's the same with your job title, your write up, your photo. It's not the photo that counts, it's what people see/feel/think when they see your photo. Try to project yourself as friendly, professional, skilled, concerned with your client's goals and objectives, confident, experienced. Depending on your niche, add in communicative, detail-oriented or whatever else fits. It's not always about money. But do it right and you will have more business and, therefore, more options. 

Hi Anthony, thanks a lot for taking the time to explain things to me, I'll check out those tax forms some time later and you're right, I should be more confident in myself as I've always been indecisive in between rates increment and client's limited budget so I often ask clients about their preferred budget and then negotiate from there. Also hurts that many clients tend to hire those with much lower rates and then I end up not getting any jobs for months! Way to spoil the market (but I think that some people are desperate for any earnings due to certain circumstances perhaps).

I know that setting up our own price higher says a lot of things and that includes confidence so I will take that into account from now on, I tell my friends this and yet I don't do this to myself, haha. I agree with everything you've said and I'm thankful for that. Also glad that I took the guts to come here and ask for advice, you guys are awesome!

amadou_toure
Community Member

Hi i would love you have my profile reviewed, and get some feedback to help me improve.

here is my profile link: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01c2a81372ebe57fa5

Amadou,

I think your write up is terrific and your photo is the best on Upwork. Even better than mine.

"Hey, I'm Amadou. I've been a freelance virtual administrative assistant for 5+ years. I have worked with several online entrepreneurs such as Zinomedia. Prior to this, I was an Account Service Administrator for over a decade in Pittsburgh, Pa. I have remarkable interpersonal, organization, and time management skills."

I would change that from "Hey," to "Hi." I know it's a matter of taste, but "Hey" sounds sloppy.

You say "several online entrepreneurs" and then you only mention one. That sounds like an abrupt oddity. Mention one or two others.

When I went to your profile, the line "I have remarkable interpersonal, organization and time management skills" did not show up clearly as an independent, stand-alone paragraph. It should be. 

You might just need to hit the "enter" key to make it stand alone, but it's the kind of detail that seems more glaring than it's worth, so you might as well fix it.

Compare your rates to others doing the same work and put yours no lower than the middle of the pack.

And, there. The perfect profile. Now send $10 to your favorite charity.

eec19224
Community Member

Hi! My name is Almagul. I am a web designer.
Could you share with you a brief review of my work? This will help build my freelance business on Upwork and show my value to other potential clients. Thank you in advance!

2-дизайн.jpg

photo5192950047862536244.jpg

1 - бет.jpg

   

6-бет.jpg

2-,tn.jpg

3-бет.jpg

4-бет.jpg

5-бет.jpg

форма оформление заказа.jpg

7-,tn.jpg

сонгы бет.jpg

  

    

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Almagul, your profile is a good start but it needs more work. Use Upwork "resources & education" (right top corner) to know more about how to update profile. Upwork has some excellent articles to help new freelancers. It really helps to read those articles and follow the steps one-by-one. I am happy to review your profile once you have completed it. Good luck. 

Almagul S wrote:

Hi! My name is Almagul. I am a web designer.
Could you share with you a brief review of my work? This will help build my freelance business on Upwork and show my value to other potential clients. Thank you in advance!

Good examples, but they don't belong in the forum, they belong into your portfolio, provided they represent your work only. 

   

  

    

ff5f3cdc
Community Member

hi

im noob in Upwork

but in realworld im a professional architecture

i sent 16 proposals by every type of writing methods with lower price and normal price etc.

but nobody accept me to interview

i think for clients is very important i have a job success into freelancer

i have some propose

1- i switch to my programming skill and forget the 3D and 2D art(architecture) and grow my profile job success

2- find a friend who make a account and he make a job for me into Architecture categories and i do it for free to making a artistic job success into my profile

in architecture nobody accept me to interview in 16 proposals

in Programming 3 interview from 4 proposals

i prefer work as Architecture and i don't want to work as programmer

☹️

☹️

☹️

6945f31d
Community Member

Hello dears,

Thank you for this helpful post. I am new to up-work and i need a feedback for my profile also i would like to know the right way for writing proposal. I appreciate your coordination.

best regards,

Asmaa

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Asma, Upwork has several educational articles for new freelancers. This one gives you tips for writing a proposal: https://www.upwork.com/resources/how-to-create-a-proposal-that-wins-jobs

726d9eb3
Community Member

please help me I'm a professional video editor and new on Upwork, I didn't get any orders Help if you can.

Shiraz A wrote:

please help me I'm a professional video editor and new on Upwork, I didn't get any orders Help if you can.

First, in the video you write "Vedio Editor", I have not noticed if there are any more errors.
Your presentation, I will not go into the spelling, only that there are too many spaces between paragraphs and everything seems scattered.
The client only sees the first two lines, so don't waste them.

You have two specialized profiles and you write the same thing in all of them. Take the opportunity to tell the client what you can do for them in each of the specialized ones. That all have the same text does not look very good.

You say you have a lot of experience and have worked for many clients. But your portfolio only has two fairly basic samples. Add work done if your clients allow it or create one to show.
Watch the spelling.

fawadbarcha
Community Member

Please. That'd be so helpful.

Fawad,

Your write up is really pretty good, but there are some mistakes. Let's see if we can address those.

First ... the background of your photo is too dark. Definitely look for a brighter photo. 

Secondly, your write up is good,, but is starts off with a very unnecessary sentence. You need to get RIGHT to the point -- immediately.

So ditch that first sentence. Toss it out. Philosophy studies have nothing to do with copywriting. Start with "I am currently working as a senior SEO-content writer ..." and the rest looks pretty fine.

That said, people who can think on their feet make good copywriters, so you can mention your college experience later on, just as you have ... "my philosophy degree gives me an edge as an analytical thinker and creative person ..." You can certainly say something along those lines. But philosophy studies are not your selling point. "I know how to write copy" is your selling point. Start with that.

Anthony H wrote:

Fawad,

Your write up is really pretty good, but there are some mistakes. Let's see if we can address those.

First ... the background of your photo is too dark. Definitely look for a brighter photo. 

Secondly, your write up is good,, but is starts off with a very unnecessary sentence. You need to get RIGHT to the point -- immediately.

So ditch that first sentence. Toss it out. Philosophy studies have nothing to do with copywriting. Start with "I am currently working as a senior SEO-content writer ..." and the rest looks pretty fine.

That said, people who can think on their feet make good copywriters, so you can mention your college experience later on, just as you have ... "my philosophy degree gives me an edge as an analytical thinker and creative person ..." You can certainly say something along those lines. But philosophy studies are not your selling point. "I know how to write copy" is your selling point. Start with that.

I took the time to explore the texts in his project, as well as the portfolio. If he took out everything that contradicts (his current positions don't seem to match) and everything that is or hints at academic fraud, his profile would contain little more that a name and a location. 

Yeah, I just looked myself. Very interesting.

Thanks a lot

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths